Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Krugman: Conservatives become less willing to look at the facts ... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Ahhhh...the all knowing "Super Brains" jump on board with Krugman

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
    pampango

Krugman: Conservatives become less willing to look at the facts ... as they become better-educated

Digby sends us to Chris Mooney on how conservatives become less willing to look at the facts, more committed to the views of their tribe, as they become better-educated:
    For Republicans, having a college degree didn’t appear to make one any more open to what scientists have to say. On the contrary, better-educated Republicans were more skeptical of modern climate science than their less educated brethren. Only 19 percent of college-educated Republicans agreed that the planet is warming due to human actions, versus 31 percent of non-college-educated Republicans.

But it’s not just global warming where the “smart idiot” effect occurs. It also emerges on nonscientific but factually contested issues, like the claim that President Obama is a Muslim. Belief in this falsehood actually increased more among better-educated Republicans from 2009 to 2010 than it did among less-educated Republicans, according to research by George Washington University political scientist John Sides.
    What Chris Mooney is telling us is that this is a vain hope. Highly educated political conservatives — and this includes conservative economists — are going to be less persuadable by empirical evidence than the man or woman in the street. The more holes you poke in doctrines like expansionary austerity or supply-side economics, the more committed they will get to those doctrines.

This debate isn’t going to be won by rational argument.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...tribal-nation/

It's been obvious that republicans have been bound by ideology over real world evidence of what works and what has failed, but I had not seen the evidence of the inverse link with the level of republicans' education and openness to looking at the facts.

These idiots, in their quest to be "all knowing" just totally miss the fucking point.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Krugman. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Meh,

Krugman has been mixing the Kool aid for the Drones for years. He's merely serving up more potent doses these days.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

What Krugman is really saying is, "Okay, the debate won't be won by rational argument. So we'll resort to lies, obfuscation, deceit, and the "scientific" agenda that states, 'Where am I gonna get my next grant if I don't convince the politicians and those too stupid to disagree with me that the earth is really warming and humans are responsible for it if I don't lie?'"
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    What Krugman is really saying is, "Okay, the debate won't be won by rational argument. So we'll resort to lies, obfuscation, deceit, and the "scientific" agenda that states, 'Where am I gonna get my next grant if I don't convince the politicians and those too stupid to disagree with me that the earth is really warming and humans are responsible for it if I don't lie?'"
    Ditto
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Yep, not to mention ad hominem attacks against those that he cannot beat through persuasion. This is typical Krugman. A few years ago, the NY Times shut down the comments on his blog because economists kept writing in and nuking his arguments. He couldn't out-debate anyone, so they eliminated the forum for the arguments. Krugman's the Barney Fife of the new thought police.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Maybe being better educated, they know that there is no such thing as a "concensus", and they can see the facts for what they are.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Yep, not to mention ad hominem attacks against those that he cannot beat through persuasion. This is typical Krugman. A few years ago, the NY Times shut down the comments on his blog because economists kept writing in and nuking his arguments. He couldn't out-debate anyone, so they eliminated the forum for the arguments. Krugman's the Barney Fife of the new thought police.
    And then when the masses take to his blog to show how little he really knows about the real world...he shuts it down to any and all comments.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    And then when the masses take to his blog to show how little he really knows about the real world...he shuts it down to any and all comments.
    Yep. Fortunately, the Krugman Truth Squad is still there to keep the record straight:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krugm...579495?sk=wall
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Better educated people understand the science is always evolving. Any serious scientific explanations for global warming always include qualifiers such as "could" or "may" because people who understand science aren't arrogant enough to think that man knows everything. The press and the ecotards always translate these words into does and will while claiming GW is "settled science."

GW is both a religion and an industry.