Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Back up cameras to be required on cars. 
    I view this as over-regulation. Yes, it will cost manufacturers 200 dollars to install the cameras, but what will they sell them for?! It ain't going to be 200$

Auto manufacturers are generally silent about this sort of thing because it gives them something else to sell and repair (since the devices are required, states will begin to require that they are working).

Regulators to require rearview cameras in all new cars by 2014

WASHINGTON – US federal regulators are expected to announce plans this week to require automakers to install rearview cameras in all new cars by 2014, The New York Times reported.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is expected to send its final version of the proposed regulation to Congress on Wednesday, after first proposing the rule change in 2010.

Government statistics show that 228 people of all ages die in the US each year after being hit by passenger vehicles backing up, while roughly 17,000 people are injured.

"We haven't done anything else to protect pedestrians," Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety in Washington, told the newspaper. "This is one thing we can do and should do."

In a draft paper, regulators said it would cost automakers between $160 and $200 to install the cameras and viewing screens in each new vehicle -- as much as $2.7 billion per year overall.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/28...#ixzz1nh3Bam1A

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    then we'll get a whole slue of idiots that don't physically look behind them before backing up.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I view this as over-regulation. Yes, it will cost manufacturers 200 dollars to install the cameras, but what will they sell them for?! It ain't going to be 200$

Auto manufacturers are generally silent about this sort of thing because it gives them something else to sell and repair (since the devices are required, states will begin to require that they are working).
    The only time I come close to hitting someone is when I am backing out of a driveway with a load of debris in my truck. A back-up camera would be completely worthless in this situation, because the person I am going to hit isn't behind my truck yet, he's mindlessly riding a bicycle up the street and not paying attention to me backing out with a full load of tree branches. My blindspot is not directly behind my truck, it's the passenger doorpost and headrest on the passenger side covering a critical part of the rear windscreen.

One day all this will be rendered obsolete. Once we have eliminated all accidental deaths and injuries through all these add-ons, we'll realize that we simply needed mandatory rubber suits in conjunction with public transportation. Cars should be immediately outlawed and turned in to the government collection points.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

For me, I don't even have a windshield mounted rear view mirror on my pickup; I use side mirrors exclusively. That's because I drove a big truck for some years and learned to rely on side mirrors. I never backed into anything in the 18 wheeler, nor have I in a 4 wheeler.

228 lives? I doubt it. Some of them are going to get hit anyway.

At a cost of 2.7 billion annually before the manufacturers mark it up? No.

Write your congressman.

*sigh*

The nanny state strikes again.
    U.S. Army, Retired

The same people who do not look in their mirrors will not look at the screen.

If you need a camera to replace your rear-view mirror (and the associated head turn look) to back up without hitting a pedestrian, you shouldn't be driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    For me, I don't even have a windshield mounted rear view mirror on my pickup; I use side mirrors exclusively. That's because I drove a big truck for some years and learned to rely on side mirrors. I never backed into anything in the 18 wheeler, nor have I in a 4 wheeler.

228 lives? I doubt it. Some of them are going to get hit anyway.

At a cost of 2.7 billion annually before the manufacturers mark it up? No.

Write your congressman.
    Ditto. I came quite adept at using my mirrors while driving a bread truck. As for the mandate, think about it. The gubment owns GM(basically). Knowing that, does this surprise you?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I test drove a crossover with one. I think their great. plus my ins agent told me having one with AWD is a hugh dedcution in premiums. 180 bucks every six mons for full coverage. I have need of one in these damned crowed parking lots. people walking right behind your bumper or cars pulling out. plus the after market is full of em. an at resonalble prices. a lot of kids have been hurt or killed accidently because their parents never knew the were back there.
    I take from the article these will be reto fitted and not factory installed

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots