Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why is school prayer only allowed during tragedies? 
    It was supposed to be a fairly quiet week at Chardon High School.

<snip>

But normal changed at approximately 7:30 Monday morning.

Gunfire. Screams. Chaos.

A teenager – an outcast – armed with a gun – walked into the school cafeteria. In a matter of moments, five students were gunned down. At least one child died.

Terrified students huddled in classrooms. They called 911. They texted and tweeted. Teachers locked doors and implemented emergency procedures.
    <snip>

As police try to make sense of the senseless, the school superintendent called on people to pray.
    <snip>

if God is good enough for the bad times, shouldn’t He be good enough for the good times?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...ing-tragedies/

Good point...why is God only called in times of peril?? Why not thank God every day for blessings? I think removing God and prayer from the public school system has done damage to our youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    It was supposed to be a fairly quiet week at Chardon High School.

<snip>

But normal changed at approximately 7:30 Monday morning.

Gunfire. Screams. Chaos.

A teenager – an outcast – armed with a gun – walked into the school cafeteria. In a matter of moments, five students were gunned down. At least one child died.

Terrified students huddled in classrooms. They called 911. They texted and tweeted. Teachers locked doors and implemented emergency procedures.
    <snip>

As police try to make sense of the senseless, the school superintendent called on people to pray.
    <snip>

if God is good enough for the bad times, shouldn’t He be good enough for the good times?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...ing-tragedies/

Good point...why is God only called in times of peril?? Why not thank God every day for blessings? I think removing God and prayer from the public school system has done damage to our youth.
    Considering the tragic state of unionized public schools, they ought to be in constant prayer.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The irony is, if a kid made that the topic of an essay they'd probably tell him he couldn't write about it.

Good find.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Considering the tragic state of unionized public schools, they ought to be in constant prayer.
    Agreed, the only thing that can help them now is a miracle from God.

It's actually very common for sports teams, at least in Texas, to pray together during games. Then again, at least in Texas, coaches are given special treatment in how they can handle students.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    It's actually very common for sports teams, at least in Texas, to pray together during games. Then again, at least in Texas, coaches are given special treatment in how they can handle students.
    That might be the last place where you could still pull that off.

That's going the way of the dodo too.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The irony is, if a kid made that the topic of an essay they'd probably tell him he couldn't write about it.

Good find.
    That's not true, again, at least not in Texas.

There is a serious overblown hysteria about what schools are like. Fox News would have you think that kids get suspended for bowing their head before lunch and writing the word "God" or "Jesus" anywhere will get you expelled. It's a joke.

Kids in school frequently wear their religion on their sleeves, they can write about it, they can talk about it, they share their experiences involving church and more. Schools do not participate in supporting any religion or religions, but they are open to them. Students don't have to leave their religion at the door, there is simply an expectation of all students to be respectful to one another.

Don't buy into the nonsense, it's a fantasy.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

WW3, the article is not talking about Texas, specifically. Don't act naive. The country as a whole has turned away from prayer and God in our public school system. Trying to say otherwise is dishonest.

I don't get it myself. When i was a kid,i was required to say the pledge of allegiance in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    WW3, the article is not talking about Texas, specifically. Don't act naive. The country as a whole has turned away from prayer and God in our public school system. Trying to say otherwise is dishonest.
    What are you basing this on?

When you were a little girl, did your public school teacher lead the class in an organized prayer?

When I was a child, we were allowed to pray if we wanted, but it was not led. As I got into high school, "moment's of silence" were given where kids were specifically told they could dedicate that time to prayer if they so choose. Some kids would pray before lunch and church-going students organized their activities at school all the time. I prayed with my team before every football game throughout the years and it wasn't unusual for God to come up within in-class discussions. Of course these discussions never turned to the theological in any depth, but there were many church-going students who felt natural in bringing their beliefs into literature discussions or social studies.

There is no difference from how things are done today. Again, my experiences are in reference to Texas because my experience are limited to Texas.
    Last edited by Wei Wu Wei; 02-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.