Thread: Wish me luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Not a lot left -- Sembach (which is in a nice, idyllic Rheinland-Pfalz valley, but sorta removed from things -- nearest big town is Kaiserslautern), Ramstein (located surprisingly close to Sembach), and Spangdahlem.

I just looked at a Wiki list of USAF bases in Germany and they list only Ramstein and Spangdahlem. WTF happened to Sembach????

I was stationed in K-Town for awhile. Did work and provided training at Sembach , Rammstein & Spangdahlem. Guess the AF needed the Army to fix & train the AF on crypto gear at the time.

Sembach was just a little radar & weather Installation back then.

One Time I happened to be at Rammstein when AF1 made an unscheduled landing with President Reagan on Board. went to see what was up. Our Do not stop/do not detain orders got us past the MP's & SP's But not past the Secret service but still got within about 50 Ft of the President when deplaned and walked around, he came over and asked our names and shook our hands. No one believes that story but the folks there at the time but so be it for it is true and only time I was ever excited about celebitry.

DJ you want to really test your metal ask to be stationed at either Grand Forks Air Base or Minot Air base in North Dakota
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Jonesy, good luck! Any of those bases would be great. I actually had a tour at Bragg. It isn't as bad as people imagine. Still own a house there and love the area. It is equidistant from the mountains to the beach. I am in a golf/lake gated community so it is cozy if small. I found that wherever I got stationed, I found something to like.

Have fun and enjoy your new assignment.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    There is, but my dad lives in Vancouver, and hunting and fishing up there are spectacular.

I have access to a lot of Army bases as well, but most of them are in shitty locations. Like Brag, and Hood.
    Nothing wrong with Bragg, as long as you don't live in Fayettenam. We really like it here.

rm -rf obama*

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    If it's MacDill we can go shooting!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    If it's MacDill we can go shooting!!!
    Hmmmm.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

There's no air force base in Hawaii? I would guess that's where the wife would like to go. I have a friend who recently retired from the navy, and she spent several years in between the Gulf War and 9-11 stationed there and she loved it.

Florida is the closest thing to Hawaii, weather-wise. But then you and the family have to tolerate floridians.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

Florida is the closest thing to Hawaii, weather-wise. But then you and the family have to tolerate floridians.

HEY!!!!!!

May the FORCE be with you!

I think you'd enjoy Eglin. I was stationed at Hurlburt, which is just down the road. Beaches are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    I think you'd enjoy Eglin. I was stationed at Hurlburt, which is just down the road. Beaches are very nice.
    Lived at Eglin for 3 years back in the 90's and I loved it there. Spent a week at Hurlburt back in 2010, was interesting to see how much of the area had changed, but how much was still the same.

Don't want to do Hawaii. I like going on trips, and there just isn't to many places to go on those tiny islands. Plus, for the base of preferance, I can only pick locations in the continental US.

I don't think I'd mind going to Ft. Campbell or Ft. Knox, but beyond that the Army choices state side start getting slim for me. I'd take any overseas one though.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Jonesy, good luck! Any of those bases would be great. I actually had a tour at Bragg. It isn't as bad as people imagine. Still own a house there and love the area. It is equidistant from the mountains to the beach. I am in a golf/lake gated community so it is cozy if small. I found that wherever I got stationed, I found something to like.

Have fun and enjoy your new assignment.
    If I had to go to North Carolina, I'd prefer Asheville, at the Air Force Combat Climatology Center, or maybe Seymour-Johnson in Goldsboro. My first tour was at Shaw, I got my fill of the central Carolina's while I was there.

Thanks though, I'm really looking forward to getting it. I've flat out become fed up with this place, and I really need to move on.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.