1. #1 More bad news: U.S. water bills to triple 
    First high gas prices, now water. A shocking new report about the nation's crumbling drinking water system says that Americans should expect their bills to double or triple to cover repairs just to keep their faucets pouring. That means adding up to $900 a year more for water, nearly equal the amount of the newly extended payroll tax cut.

Fixing and expanding underground drinking water systems will cost over $1 trillion in the next 25 years and users will get socked with the bill, according to the American Water Works Association.

As with most infrastructure investments, spending heavily now means less costs down the road. But with little appetite in the country for even trickling taxes now, a delayed and more expensive fix is almost guaranteed. The association figures that spending to fix leaky water systems will double from roughly $13 billion a year today to $30 billion annually by 2040.

"Because pipe assets last a long time, water systems that were built in the later part of the 19th century and throughout much of the 20th century have, for the most part, never experienced the need for pipe replacement on a large scale," said the report provided to Washington Secrets. "The dawn of an era in which the assets will need to be replaced puts growing stress on communities that will continue to increase for decades to come."

What kind of stress? Families can expect to pay at least $300-$550 more for water in taxes and fees just to keep their current systems operating. Add growth and improved systems, and that bill jumps to $900 for a family of three, said the report.
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/politi...-triple/317086
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Well, consumption of water has been proven to cause pollution. Urine credits should be sold immediately. I suggest we set up an IPO and make Billions $$$.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

They've been singing this tune out in the arid west for a very long time. Drought conditions prevailed for much of the past decade, until this past couple of winters. Friends tell us that the Salt Lake City reservoirs are actually full.

But that doesn't speak to the aquifers necessarily.
    U.S. Army, Retired

I have been making a casual but consistent effort to find the real causes of the riots in Arab counties. It isn't because "they want their freedom". It appears to be a fact that food costs, energy costs and utility costs - especially water - have been spiraling upward. The people are going hungry in order to pay other necessary expenses.

Will it happen here? We, The People, are now making so little money (when was the last time you got a pay raise or promotion?) that 50% of us cannot even be taxed.

I just ate lunch at a Sonic drive in. I could not have been happier with the car hop. But that's the problem! This well spoken, educated, friendly, bright young lady was working at Sonic because it was the only job she could find. I see it over and over, and it is heart wrenching and troubling...

Fresh, clean water is an essential part of life and will be the first natural resource that "runs out." Why this nation hasn't already built water desalination plants up and down every coast is a riddle without a valid answer. The technology exists to build a plant that will both clean the water and produce energy. Why these have not been built, particularly in arid areas is unanswerable.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Fresh, clean water is an essential part of life and will be the first natural resource that "runs out." Why this nation hasn't already built water desalination plants up and down every coast is a riddle without a valid answer. The technology exists to build a plant that will both clean the water and produce energy. Why these have not been built, particularly in arid areas is unanswerable.
    Environmentalists.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Go Go Gadget.... LAKE MICHIGAN
    The two most corrosive effects on urban America: Gun control and gentrification.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Environmentalists.
    Oh, we build them. We build them for our owners in Moose-limb countries.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster
    Or, we could live where the water is and stop building houses on top of the well fields.

Seriously, is there any reason whatsoever to keep building in San Diego and Los Angeles? Aren't their ghettos already big enough?

Stop building up the coastal areas where the ground water is infiltrated, and start building on the Mississippi where it fucking floods every year. Terrible idea, I know.

It doesn't matter where you build, the water is running out.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.