1. #1 Freeze-Dried Pets Comfort Grieving Owners 
    Mike McCullough never intended to start freeze-drying beloved pets for grieving owners. But more than a decade ago, a friend of a friend asked the Fort Loudon, Penn., taxidermist to save his beloved dog from the grave or cremation by preserving the animal instead. McCullough agreed.

Then he talked to a Wall Street Journal reporter about the process. It made the front page. Requests from bereaved owners started rolling in. Today, McCullough's taxidermy shop, Mac's Taxidermy, is one of a handful of places around the country that will preserve not only hunting trophies, but also the hunting dog.
    "It's a whole different game for us," McCullough told LiveScience. "You have to be a counselor, you know what I mean? It's tough."
    Preserving pets

McCullough and other taxidermists like him use a special process to keep Fido or Fluffy looking lifelike even in death. Traditional taxidermy involves skinning an animal and stretching its hide over a three-dimensional mold. That won't cut it for the family pet, as the animal's features end up looking generic, nothing like the unique creature that owners knew and loved.

Instead, pet preservationists use freeze-dry chambers, which lower air pressure to the point that ice turns directly into gas without going through the liquid phase. Many taxidermists use freeze-dryers to preserve small animals or fish. Taxidermist Cathy Huntley, owner of Freeze Dry By Cathy in Newaygo, Mich., first got her freeze-dryer to preserve flowers before branching into turkey heads and eventually pets. ...
    link

If the pictures are anything to go by, it does give a more convincing effect than taxidermy.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    OK...that's a widdle creepy.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    OK...that's a widdle creepy.
    At first take it does seem a little creepy. but upon further consideration other than the emotional aspect, is it any different than doing the same to a bear or a horse or deer etc.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Fabulous Poster
    I saw this on some reality program. It's interesting and it's weird.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    At first take it does seem a little creepy. but upon further consideration other than the emotional aspect, is it any different than doing the same to a bear or a horse or deer etc.
    I sometimes catch my old Rotty out of the corner of my eye when she isn't even here anymore, I can't imagine having a lifelike preservation of her, not to mention that I might pick her up and put her in her bed at night, or pose her at the picture window in the daytime.

You know someone is going to freeze dry Momma and put her in her regular chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You know someone is going to freeze dry Momma and put her in her regular chair.
    Also already been done.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Roy stuffed Trigger decades ago.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.