1. #1 One Out Of Every Ten Wall Street Employees Is A Psychopath, Say Researchers 
    link

Star Member MichaelMcGuire (753 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

View profile

One Out Of Every Ten Wall Street Employees Is A Psychopath, Say Researchers

One out of every 10 Wall Street employees is likely a clinical psychopath, writes journalist Sherree DeCovny in an upcoming issue of the trade publication CFA Magazine (subscription required). In the general population the rate is closer to one percent.

"A financial psychopath can present as a perfect well-rounded job candidate, CEO, manager, co-worker, and team member because their destructive characteristics are practically invisible," writes DeCovny, who pulls together research from several psychologists for her story, which helpfully suggests that financial firms carefully screen out extreme psychopaths in hiring.

To be sure, typical psychopathic behavior runs the gamut. At the extreme end is Bateman, portrayed by Christian Bale, in the 2000 movie "American Psycho," as an investment banker who actually kills people and exhibits no remorse. When health professionals talk about "psychopaths," they have a broader range of behavior in mind.

A clinical psychopath is bright, gregarious and charming, writes DeCovny. He lies easily and often, and may have trouble feeling empathy for other people. He's probably also more willing to take dangerous risks -- either because he doesn't understand the consequences, or because he simply doesn't care.

An appetite for risk can seem like a positive business trait on Wall Street, where big gambles sometimes lead to big rewards. But for the people DeCovny is talking about, the outcomes matter less than the gambles themselves -- and the chemical rush of serotonin and endorphins that accompanies them.

This is hardly the first time that mental illness has been equated with a certain capacity for professional success -- especially in the financial sector, where some stock traders have actually scored higher than diagnosed psychopaths on tests that measure competitiveness and attraction to risk.

Some psychologists have long claimed that the qualities that make for a high-achieving politician or stockbroker are also the same traits that psychopaths have in abundance.

Other researchers generalize it to bosses as a species, saying that about 4 percent of all executives are psychopaths -- and that their relative lack of scruples is what helps them excel in business.
    Well if one in ten Wall Street employees is a psychopath then 6 in 10 liberals must be and 8 in 10 progressives must be psychopaths.

Or maybe more likely it's that now researchers and liberals (huge overlap) have changed their "definition" of "psychopath" to include those who make money but don't feel enough remorse (by their definition) if they make more than what they decide "those people" should be able to make.
    DCKit (15,639 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    1. One out of every ten researchers is going to be dead by this time tomorrow.

View profile
    They don't like being outed.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    wow...every day it seems Ayn Rand was on to something in Atlas Shrugged...
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

One Out Of Every Ten Wall Street Employees Is A Psychopath, Say Researchers
    One out of every 10 Wall Street employees is likely a clinical psychopath
    gee, i wonder what the political bent of researcher is...?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I don't give a crap what any ebil Wall Streeter is as long as they make me some $$$!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Her description sounds like Bill Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    wow...every day it seems Ayn Rand was on to something in Atlas Shrugged...
    The Moonbats are always looking for excuses to hurt people and break things.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    link

Or maybe more likely it's that now researchers and liberals (huge overlap) have changed their "definition" of "psychopath" to include those who make money but don't feel enough remorse (by their definition) if they make more than what they decide "those people" should be able to make.
    Agree 100%, Carol.

Quote from article ...

Other researchers generalize it to bosses as a species, saying that about 4 percent of all executives are psychopaths -- and that their relative lack of scruples is what helps them excel in business.
    Wow! Wonder if I have been married all these years to a psychopath?

Sure hope not!

This whole study is nothing but pure, unadulterated, BS ... just more "Class Warfare" to rile up the masses for Obama in November.

~ ABC

Considering how many Wall Street firms contribute to Democrats, I'm surprised that it's only one-in-ten.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    The Moonbats are always looking for excuses to hurt people and break things.
    The Moonbats always have a need for enemies and strawmans.

It takes one to know one.