Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm like that with lightning as well, which is a huge conflict of interests for me, because I love being outside during thunderstorms.
    While simultaneously talking on the phone?

And forget the sharks. The jellyfish will get you first. Then someone will have to pee on your leg.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

And forget the sharks. The jellyfish will get you first. Then someone will have to pee on your leg.
    Not that bad a deal if your into that sort of thing.

Not that I am or anything...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

That's always been my fear being in the ocean water. The thought
    of swimming into a school of jelly fish scares me more than sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not that bad a deal if your into that sort of thing.

Not that I am or anything...
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Siesta Key was honored with the first spot in best US beaches. Haven't ventured out to the West Coast yet, with the exception of Tampa. I really want to visit Sanibel Island, maybe this year.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Siesta Key was honored with the first spot in best US beaches. Haven't ventured out to the West Coast yet, with the exception of Tampa. I really want to visit Sanibel Island, maybe this year.
    Let SLW and me know if you come!! I like Sanibel, stayed there several times.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I did do it once when I was at Keesler. Went out to Ship Island to do some fishing with another guy in my class. We saw a sand bar about 20 yards off shore on the Gulf side of the island, and decided to head out there so we could fish off the other side of it. We were not thinking at all on this... after we swam out there, the second we step food on the bar, we kick up a big ass school of rays, luckily none of us got stung. We stand around out there for a few minutes before we realize "this place is usually swarming with Sand Sharks, maybe this wasn't such a good idea." So we decide to swim back in, and end up going right through a school of jelly fish, again with both of us somehow not getting stung at all. It was pretty crazy.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Let SLW and me know if you come!! I like Sanibel, stayed there several times.
    Are you close to Sanibel?? Can you recommend places to stay? I will PM you and SLW when I'm ready to plan.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

I've never had a fear of sharks. I've been around boats all my life and had my own for a few years. Also belonged to a boat club up until a year ago. I prefer swimming in the ocean, than say a pool. I usually swim offshore, anchor the boat, and stay out with or without a lounger. I don't wear jewelry when I swim (sharks are supposedly attracted to shiny metal).

Once, I was out towards the rim of gulf stream, about 5 miles from shore that afternoon, fishing with my brother, easy to catch mahi mahi in that area and a family of sharks circled the boat for hours...they may have been curious about the music or just waiting for bait...but at that time, I didn't go into the water. The current was too strong, so I wouldn't have jumped in anyway. A strong rip current is scarier than sharks when you're swimming in deep water. A depth of 100 feet is my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I've never had a fear of sharks. I've been around boats all my life and had my own for a few years. Also belonged to a boat club up until a year ago. I prefer swimming in the ocean, than say a pool. I usually swim offshore, anchor the boat, and stay out with or without a lounger. I don't wear jewelry when I swim (sharks are supposedly attracted to shiny metal).

Once, I was out towards the rim of gulf stream, about 5 miles from shore that afternoon, fishing with my brother, easy to catch mahi mahi in that area and a family of sharks circled the boat for hours...they may have been curious about the music or just waiting for bait...but at that time, I didn't go into the water. The current was too strong, so I wouldn't have jumped in anyway. A strong rip current is scarier than sharks when you're swimming in deep water. A depth of 100 feet is my limit.
    Deep water freaks me out as well. I can stand being out on boats in 300ft or deeper water, but when I think about it, it's almost a primal fear. It's like looking into the abyss, a deep dark pit that you know you'd never escape from if you had the misfortune to fall into.

I think I'd have a complex by the end of my career if I had joined the Navy.