Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Whites need not apply ... 

Controversy Over FDNY Exam Workshop

MYFOXNY.COM - A chaotic scene unfolded outside Middle School 72 in Jamaica, Queens, on Wednesday night as several men who wanted to attend a tutorial workshop for the upcoming FDNY entrance exam were turned away.

These men said it was because they were white. The Workshop was being hosted by the Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters, which apparently only let in people who got a special e-mail.

Fox 5 spoke to a few people who were turned away. They didn't want to be identified, but they said it appeared that only African-American hopefuls were admitted to the event.

A federal judge has ruled the FDNY discriminated in hiring and ordered reforms. But these candidates said they are being unfairly punished.

-----------------------------

Affirmative action ... its not just for those who hate America anymore.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Switch the races around. Now imagine the klaxon from the left over this happening. That said, I'd like to know more about this. It might have been a program that is trying to encourage blacks to be firefighters. If that's the case than so be it. However, turning people away because they had the wrong skin tone, well, let's just say that 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Switch the races around. Now imagine the klaxon from the left over this happening. That said, I'd like to know more about this. It might have been a program that is trying to encourage blacks to be firefighters. If that's the case than so be it. However, turning people away because they had the wrong skin tone, well, let's just say that 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    I'm more than a little interested in the very existence of "a fraternal organization of black firefighters". Is there one of these clubs for every ethnicity?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I'm more than a little interested in the very existence of "a fraternal organization of black firefighters". Is there one of these clubs for every ethnicity?
    Wigga please.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

There is a phillipino club right off base here.

I should form a Scot club, and turn anyone away not wearing a kilt.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    There is a phillipino club right off base here.
    It's karaoke too isn't it? Handle On The Law makes Philippine callers sing "peelings".
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Except whites. That would be racist, you see...

The FDNY is under a consent decree and has been subjected to all manner of idiocies by a federal judge who has micromanaged their hiring practices for the past decade and inserted himself into the process in so many ways that he has become the de facto hiring manager for the department. He's even instituted quotas. Because of this, the city has been forced to pay massive amounts of overtime in order to make up for the personnel not hired because of this hack. The NY Post has been all over it.

Begone, Garaufis
    Last Updated: 12:14 AM, January 22, 2012
    Posted: 10:11 PM, January 20, 2012

It’s about time.
    The Bloomberg administration has demanded that federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis be removed from the ongoing lawsuit over the Fire Department’s hiring practices.

That lawsuit, says the city, “began as a narrow challenge” to two application exams — but has “been misused” by Garaufis to mount “an unjustified takeover” of the FDNY’s hiring structure.

“Along the way,” writes Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo in a 139-page filing, Garaufis “lost any semblance of neutrality.”

Indeed, he writes, the “vehemence” of Garaufis’ insistence — in the face of all available evidence — that the city deliberately discriminated against minority candidates raises “substantial doubt” on his ability to fairly continue hearing the case.

Which is putting it mildly.

Clearly the city has finally had it with King Nicholas’ imperious insistence on being not only judge, but also prosecutor and jury, in the Vulcan Society’s 2007 lawsuit.

The only mystery here is why City Hall waited so long — when the record of Garaufis’ bias and irrational behavior has been abundantly clear.

Not to mention his blatant personal grudge against top city officials, particularly Mayor Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano.

Virtually from the outset, the city says, Garaufis was “bound and determined” to impose “closely supervised ‘top-to-bottom’” court oversight of the FDNY. When the city presented evidence to refute the need for that, he “excluded, struck or ignored it.” When the other side’s evidence fell short, he “found a way to excuse or fix it.”

Typical of Garaufis’ vindictiveness was his personal selection of former Manhattan DA Robert Morgenthau as a special master to oversee the FDNY’s application exams.

Morgenthau, the city noted, “had a long, acrimonious and well-known history of conflict with many city officials directly involved in this case” — which would’ve “created widespread public speculation of partiality.”

Given his “vituperative tone and content,” the city charges, Garaufis “would have adhered to his choice” had Morgenthau not withdrawn after widespread criticism.

Perhaps most troubling is Cardozo’s compilation of Garaufis’ “preoccupation with press coverage” — especially coverage “he perceived as being critical of him.” (If this page provided some of his agita, we couldn’t be happier.)

He’s repeatedly complained about Bloomberg and Cardozo “attacking the court . . . instead of just saying we disagree.”
    He even asked Cassano “what steps he would take” if FDNY officials wrote “columns in the newspaper” that “criticized the [court] process” — i.e., Garaufis.

Garaufis long ago lost his moral grasp on this case — by losing control of himself.

His is no more a neutral, impartial party to the proceeding than is the Vulcan Society itself.

But he is supposed to be the judge.

The city has presented a compelling case for his replacement. Here’s hoping the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals agrees.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz1oDc3yvOX
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

(most) of you guys are welcome to join my organization WORMs - White Old Rich Men.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

It is time to do away with those separate professional organizations.

Even in social work, a liberal-dominated profession, there is a NASW and an NABSW. The original reason for the split had to do with interracial adoptions-the NABSW opposed placing black children into white foster and adoptive homes because white children were not placed into black foster and adoptive homes. This was still an issue in 1987 when I started working in the field, and at least in Michigan, it is no longer an issue. Black parents can adopt white kids and white parents can adopt black kids. Now we use religion as a criteria for placement of kids instead of race, because placing kids in the home of someone who doesn't practice the same religion can make things really sticky with the legal parents who are working to get their kids back.

Unlike other black professional organizations, which were founded back in the days of segregation because black people weren't allowed in the official organization for a given profession, the NABSW was a split from the NASW over a specific issue. The NASW had been integrated prior to that, and some black social workers are members of both organizations. I'm not a member of the NASW, because the NASW does not think highly of BSW degrees and really only recognizes MSWs. Yet they charge the same fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    (most) of you guys are welcome to join my organization WORMs - White Old Rich Men.
    I didn't know you worked for the Republican Party

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.