Thread: Wish me luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Wish me luck! 
    I've been here at Scott AFB for so long now I was able to apply for a Base of Preference here in the US. I asked to get stationed at these locations.

Ft. Lewis, WA
    McChord AFB, WA
    Fairchild AFB, WA
    Eglin AFB, FL
    Macdill AFB, FL
    Patrick AFB, FL
    Tyndall AFB, FL

Pretty sure the family and I would be happy at any of those locations.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Dang, Jonesy, even after BRAC there's still a helluva lot of Air Force bases!

Theys a whole lotta moonbats up in the Pacific NW......
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Dang, Jonesy, even after BRAC there's still a helluva lot of Air Force bases!

Theys a whole lotta moonbats up in the Pacific NW......
    There is, but my dad lives in Vancouver, and hunting and fishing up there are spectacular.

I have access to a lot of Army bases as well, but most of them are in shitty locations. Like Brag, and Hood.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

When do you find out you're on orders?

Never been to Bragg myself, but I did a hardship tour at Hood back in '82. I knew I was in trouble when they told a trumpet player (who'd arrived a couple weeks before I did), "Buzz!" (His name was Busby). "You'd better go to Killeen City Hall and get yourself your Texas citizenship papers! You ain't goin' nowhere!"

AFAIK, he stayed several years -- maybe up to retirement.

As for me, I used a reenlistment option and escaped.
    U.S. Army, Retired

They said it could take 1-4 weeks for the package to be processed, so I'm hoping by this time next month at the latest.

I'd really like to do an Army assignment, an aspect of my job that I haven't done yet, and I've heard nothing but good from the people who have done it. I just don't want to get stationed at a place that I and the family will hate. But I put Ft. Lewis as #1, to show I wanted it if nothing else.

Ft. Lewis is another place I'd never been to, but as I spent almost 15 years in Germany, that's not surprising.

My heart breaks when I think of how the U.S. military is a shadow of its former self in Germany. I would've retired there, but things happen for a reason....
    U.S. Army, Retired

I've been applying for every Germany assignment that I see pop-up. Just hasn't been fated to be yet. I think I've got 3 assignments left in my career, so maybe it'll happen.

Not a lot left -- Sembach (which is in a nice, idyllic Rheinland-Pfalz valley, but sorta removed from things -- nearest big town is Kaiserslautern), Ramstein (located surprisingly close to Sembach), and Spangdahlem.

I just looked at a Wiki list of USAF bases in Germany and they list only Ramstein and Spangdahlem. WTF happened to Sembach????
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Not a lot left -- Sembach (which is in a nice, idyllic Rheinland-Pfalz valley, but sorta removed from things -- nearest big town is Kaiserslautern), Ramstein (located surprisingly close to Sembach), and Spangdahlem.

I just looked at a Wiki list of USAF bases in Germany and they list only Ramstein and Spangdahlem. WTF happened to Sembach????
    Sembach is still there, it's just tiny. All the personnel functions are handled at Ramstein. The 21st Operational Weather Squadron is located there.

I can get stationed as some of the Army bases as well, like Wiesbaden, and a couple others.

Good luck. Even though it means you'll have to root for the Seahawks and the Canucks. I don't wish that on anyone.
    Be Not Afraid.