Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    She didn't report her change in income. Cases are reviewed every six months for eligibility. It was her responsibility to report her winnings.
    But you heard her. She deserves that assistance. This is the thought process of these people.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    But you heard her. She deserves that assistance. This is the thought process of these people.

Trust me, I know this. I work in the same agency, just in the children's services end of it instead of the welfare end.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Evidently she did report her income; she said taxes brought her 1 mil down to 500K +.

She's just young and not very smart. And the kind of "not very smart" that she carries around will probably not be diminished by time.

Handling large sums of money is not easy. Most people simply cannot do it, and virtually no 24 year old can do it. I am a little encouraged by the house she bought, but only a little. Maybe things will turn out alright for her. As for the Bridge Card? May as well let her keep it; she's going to be reapplying anyway.
    Once a welfare cheating moonbat, always a welfare-cheating moonbat.

The mind-numbing reality in this is, she really, truly expects a government handout. She has no sense of responsibility or sense of community -- it's all about her and what she wants.

I see this over and over again each day.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    She didn't report her change in income. Cases are reviewed every six months for eligibility. It was her responsibility to report her winnings.
    yes, i know all that, but from what I understand she did report it and they didn't take it away. It's assets not income as it's not earned. She did nothing against any law. There is one going through the MI state legislature (has passed the House/assembly and is going to the Senate) which would require the Lottery/gaming commissar to inform DHS and cross check with anyone on the list of winnings and then to remove them from receiving aid.

However this woman is bitching because she "only" got $500k out of the winnings after taxes and what not and is "struggling" give me a fucking break. one, it was her dumbass fault for getting a lump sum and two she has plenty of money to set herself up for life if she was intelligent about investing it.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    yes, i know all that, but from what I understand she did report it and they didn't take it away. It's assets not income as it's not earned. She did nothing against any law. There is one going through the MI state legislature (has passed the House/assembly and is going to the Senate) which would require the Lottery/gaming commissar to inform DHS and cross check with anyone on the list of winnings and then to remove them from receiving aid.

However this woman is bitching because she "only" got $500k out of the winnings after taxes and what not and is "struggling" give me a fucking break. one, it was her dumbass fault for getting a lump sum and two she has plenty of money to set herself up for life if she was intelligent about investing it.

Well, then they need to fix the computer program, because the workers put the information into it and the computer decides whether someone remains eligible or not. There's not much human oversight to it anymore. An older worker might have picked up the situation, but a younger worker would never question the computer.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Well, then they need to fix the computer program, because the workers put the information into it and the computer decides whether someone remains eligible or not. There's not much human oversight to it anymore. An older worker might have picked up the situation, but a younger worker would never question the computer.
    a lot of the people that work there don't give a shit either.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

7. #17 Coming home to roost.... 
    A Michigan woman who continued to get food stamps after winning a lottery jackpot was arraigned Tuesday on welfare fraud charges.
    Michigan lotto winner charged with welfare fraud
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I hope she's prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm a bit nervous about the ramifications that may come about though. I could easily see the politically correct requirements, and generally prudent ideas, as far exceeding the savings the tax payer will ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    I hope she's prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm a bit nervous about the ramifications that may come about though. I could easily see the politically correct requirements, and generally prudent ideas, as far exceeding the savings the tax payer will ever see.
    Those who enabled her to carry this on shouldn't go unpunished.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Those who enabled her to carry this on shouldn't go unpunished.
    Who enabled her to go on?