Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    We have the homeless here in large numbers. They have a favorite corner that I pass frequently that is clearly posted with anti-panhandler signs, but the signs apparently only apply to the literate. They hold up pathetic tales of woe designed to trigger your hand-pocket reflex. Surprisingly, most are "Veterans" down on their luck or have children to feed. They spend hours at this and often tag out to be relieved of their arduous task by another equally hungry Vet or mother trying to feed her chidrens.
    When I lived in Arizona, pretty much at every intersection there was a panhandler. Think about it. 115 degrees and these people are sitting out there with signs ranging from "Will work for food" to "need money for vacation"(I'm not making this one up) to "Why lie, I need a beer"(not making this one up either). Why? Because they make a ton of money doing this. And not all of them are druggies. Some do this for a living and live better than most of us do.

Have they given up the gas station tactic where they approach you with "their mother died and they ran out of gas trying to get home, could you spare, blah, blah???" I haven't been assaulted with that one for a couple of years now.
    I got hit with this one the other day. I get a kick out of it because all I do is pull out my wallet, which has my badge in it, and I make sure they see it as I root for money I don't have(I don't carry bills in my wallet). They usually just walk away.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Detroit has a funnier sign:

There is this park on the 8 Mile RD/I-75 service drive that it seems the local crackheads clean up and keep neat for the kids-I know, it's not what you expect from them. There is a hand-painted sign over the gate that says "Save Detroit-Adopt a Crackhead".

At least it's somewhat honest.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Detroit has a funnier sign:

There is this park on the 8 Mile RD/I-75 service drive that it seems the local crackheads clean up and keep neat for the kids-I know, it's not what you expect from them. There is a hand-painted sign over the gate that says "Save Detroit-Adopt a Crackhead".

At least it's somewhat honest.
    On my way to work in Ferndale from Garden City, I'd exit off the Southfield Expressway onto 8 Mile Rd. and right there at the corner there was a guy who made a career hanging out there. All kinds of signs, different stories.

My favorite was the one right about Christmas when he lamented he was unemployed (no shit, Sherlock), broke (really?), that he had cancer (the kind you die from?), and that he was trying to scrape up enough to get his kids up from Tennessee (how many kids and what are their ages?).

He must have done well there, but I never saw anybody contribute to his happy little campaign.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

I got hit with this one the other day. I get a kick out of it because all I do is pull out my wallet, which has my badge in it, and I make sure they see it as I root for money I don't have(I don't carry bills in my wallet). They usually just walk away.
    Have read thread to the very end ... and this is the best one yet!!!

Where can "I" get one?

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    On my way to work in Ferndale from Garden City, I'd exit off the Southfield Expressway onto 8 Mile Rd. and right there at the corner there was a guy who made a career hanging out there. All kinds of signs, different stories.

My favorite was the one right about Christmas when he lamented he was unemployed (no shit, Sherlock), broke (really?), that he had cancer (the kind you die from?), and that he was trying to scrape up enough to get his kids up from Tennessee (how many kids and what are their ages?).

He must have done well there, but I never saw anybody contribute to his happy little campaign.
    We lived in NY when Guiliani was Mayor, and during his first term, he had the NYPD do ID checks on all the panhandlers that they could find, then ran the results through the NY income tax database......surprisingly about 80% of them actually filed and reported their income, and the average income reported was............$55,000.

doc

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oh BULLSHIT!!!

Why do they come up with these horseshit tales of woe all the time???
    I work in DT Minneapolis, so yes there are a few beggers here and there. I am guessing the story might be true. The problem is, most of the downtrodden are professional beggers.

They will put in a "shift" and then go home. Panhandling is their job. It's the same story. I have kids, I need bus fair, I need something to eat. They say and do these things while standing outside many of the places to eat that have Help Wanted signs up.

Minnesota has one of the most generous (with other people's money) social programs in the country. People from Chicago come here for freebees. There isn't any way anyone should be without if they look for it. Hell the government center where that DUmmie story woman could get most of the help she needed was just blocks away. The DUmbass who gave out $5 fell for the ploy that is used day in and day out.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post

8 Mile and Southfield is where some of the most pathetic-looking junkies I've ever seen panhandle. 8 Mile RD-when I retire from Children's Services, I plan to find a job working at a ministry that reaches out to the junkies and prostitutes on 8 Mile RD. I just think it would be really fun to do a Beth Moore Bible study with streetwalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I hate the bums that hang out at the off ramps of major highways, you dont want to make eye contact while you are waiting for the light to turn green.
    I deliberately look at them. Something about the way I look seems to discourage them from approaching me.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Have they given up the gas station tactic where they approach you with "their mother died and they ran out of gas trying to get home, could you spare, blah, blah???" I haven't been assaulted with that one for a couple of years now.
    I had a some what similar one a few years ago in Milwaukee. Guy was asking for $ for a cab ride to the hospital where his terminally ill mother was. He knew I was from out of town due to my plate. But I knew the hospital was 2 blocks north.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oh BULLSHIT!!!

Why do they come up with these horseshit tales of woe all the time???
    Really Sara? I see people like this all the time in Greensboro. Is it really hard to believe somebody might want to help?