Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Gas Prices Now A Big Factor In Presidential Election 
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It might be one of the biggest issues in the upcoming presidential election. Last night, CBS News exit polls found 77 percent of those voting in seven Super Tuesday states say rising gas prices were an important factor in their vote.

The poll reflects growing consumer anxiety as gas prices have risen nearly 50 cents a gallon in just over two months.

Consumers have been telling us they are cutting corners because for most driving is a necessity.

In Minnesota the average price is 3-58. The current national average for a gallon of regular is 3-76, but some analysts are predicting that gas could rise to $5 by the summer.

When you are an independent contractor like Tod Matthison, driving 200 to 300 miles a day, rising gas prices mean a smaller paycheck

“I average five hundred to eight hundred dollars a month in gas expense so it really cut into our overhead,” said

Matthison says he would like to cut back, but he can’t

“It’s scary, but what do you do? I have been doing this for 20, 25 years,” said Matthison.

Voters in Super Tuesday contests say gas prices were the most critical factor in their vote. The candidate who made the most dramatic promise to lower gas prices was Newt Gingrich, who said his plan that emphasizes expanded drilling would make gas $2.50 a gallon.

Voters clearly didn’t buy Gingrich’s promise he only won his home state of Georgia. Consumers should be wary of any guarantees, according to one Carlson School of Management Professor. He says the volatility in prices in recent years make fturue prices impossible to

“We don’t know if anybody tells you they know if gas prices are going up or down they just believe in their own magic,”

On Wednesday in Washington D.C., there was a hearing where Republicans and Democrats offered very different views of how to deal with this issue from a policy perspective: Democrats are urging conservation and tax breaks for electric vehicles with Republicans urging a dramatic expansion of drilling.

So, according to the exit polls, that division will be a key factor in elections this fall.
    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/0...tial-election/

Hell I thought free birth control was the most important thing.
    I got nuthin

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

the left is more interested in shiny trinkets and such, but people are hurting and there's no escaping that fact. dear leader is not only fiddling he's fanning the flames of our decent.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We gassed up this Wednesday with mid-grade and the bill was over 50 dollars. It was $3.979 a gallon.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Gas, birth control, states rights, eminent domain, independent reasoning ("hate" crimes) or expression (outside of "group think") ... any attack on our liberties will do just fine for the far left. And for some who are not so far left. This is what "fundamental change" is all about.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    it's between $3.80 and flirting with $4 around here
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Well, if we have to pay for our birth control after spending a crapload on health insurance, we need the transportation for that birth control, our food, and everything else to go down. The more it goes up, the more it costs to live, and we're not getting any raises.

That said, I thought I'd remind everybody that Obama once said he didn't mind the price of gas going up to four dollars. He's also against using our own natural resources.

This is what I don't understand. The conservatives want to use our own natural resources. Okay. The liberals want to create an alternative. Okay. Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't we work toward both goals with using our own natural resources as a short term goal and alternative energy as a long term goal? What's up with the idea that we must choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Well, if we have to pay for our birth control after spending a crapload on health insurance, we need the transportation for that birth control, our food, and everything else to go down. The more it goes up, the more it costs to live, and we're not getting any raises.
    We've been paying for our own birth control, or suffering the consequences since we crawled out of caves.......why is it suddenly the responsibility of others (either directly or indirectly) to provide it?? Are we not the masters of our own fate??

That said, I thought I'd remind everybody that Obama once said he didn't mind the price of gas going up to four dollars. He's also against using our own natural resources.

This is what I don't understand. The conservatives want to use our own natural resources. Okay. The liberals want to create an alternative. Okay. Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't we work toward both goals with using our own natural resources as a short term goal and alternative energy as a long term goal? What's up with the idea that we must choose?
    An excellent question......the real issue is that the liberals want to create an alternative with taxpayers money, and then strangle the petroleum market, manipulating the price to artificially make these fake "alternatives" competitive. not by allowing the free market to develop those alternatives competitively, over time without government intervention.........It's not about energy, it's all about control.......

doc

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    it's between $3.80 and flirting with $4 around here
    Same in Detroit, but it does seem to go down just before it hits $4. Last weekend, when I drove to your neck of the woods for my niece's birthday, it was at about $3.99. This week, it's around $3.87. I buy my gas mostly at Meijer. It's a little more at BP or Mobil.

If Israel bombs Iran, it'll go higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

there is no reason why both can't be. except the left wants subsidies to prop up their 'alternatives', because the market doesn't want them
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot