Thread: my 4-0-9

1. #1 my 4-0-9 
    This is an example why nothing sounds like or burns out like a 60's muscle car, This is why kids today have no idea of what a true muscle car was. A 409 cid, 425 hp, 4 speed, dual quad SMOKIN !!!

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!

Elaborate a bit. What kind of accelerant are they putting on the ground?
    Be Not Afraid.

I had a Plymouth Roadrunner, 426 Hemi, single quad, 410 or 415 HP forget which. The first thing I discovered was that it ate Super Premium gas, at least 104 octane. Nine mpg highway and 7 around town.

The next thing I learned was that the brakes weren't up to the engine. In other words, they faded pretty quickly to the point that bringing it down from 100mph meant they were gone before you got stopped.

But, at 22 yrs old, just home from Vietnam, none of that concerned me. The sound was incredible. Just sitting at a stoplight with the car idling was a treat I've never forgotten. Rev the engine and watch the front end rise was worth it, and seeing people look your way and know they were green with envy.

And the best part - the car was a chick magnet. Unfortunately, most of my money went into the gas tank. That .35 cents a gallon for super premium was painful.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    That .35 cents a gallon for super premium was painful.
    Don't you mean ethyl?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    I had a Plymouth Roadrunner, 426 Hemi, single quad, 410 or 415 HP forget which. The first thing I discovered was that it ate Super Premium gas, at least 104 octane. Nine mpg highway and 7 around town.

The next thing I learned was that the brakes weren't up to the engine. In other words, they faded pretty quickly to the point that bringing it down from 100mph meant they were gone before you got stopped.

But, at 22 yrs old, just home from Vietnam, none of that concerned me. The sound was incredible. Just sitting at a stoplight with the car idling was a treat I've never forgotten. Rev the engine and watch the front end rise was worth it, and seeing people look your way and know they were green with envy.

And the best part - the car was a chick magnet. Unfortunately, most of my money went into the gas tank. That .35 cents a gallon for super premium was painful.
    what a pisser..35 cents a gallon ??!!! ridiculous. what a rip off

I bought a 62 impala SS with a 409 when I was in service. fire engine red. beautiful. mickey mouse shifter with dumps. it had probs with over heating. no worry. i was gonna sell it to the speed boaters out there drop in a 327 and drive it home. but 2 of my so called shipmates rolled it on the base one night. totaled
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots