Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 U.S. soldier kills Afghan civilians, officials say 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    From Sara Sidner, CNN
    updated 9:09 AM EDT, Sun March 11, 2012

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- An American soldier left his base in Afghanistan and went from house to house in two villages, killing 16 people in their homes, a provincial official told CNN Sunday.

NATO's International Security Assistance Force confirmed that a soldier had gone off base and fired on civilians before turning himself in, but did not say how many victims there had been.

There has been confusion about the number of casualties since the shooting in Kandahar province, eastern Afghanistan, with different sources offering different numbers.

Regardless of the number of victims, the incident looks likely to inflame tensions still further between foreign troops and Afghan civilians, many of whom were enraged by the burning of Qurans by American troops last month.

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

Bring them all home tomorrow, anyone can crack under their rules of engagement.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I'd just say he was taken out future insurgents.

Assuming that the allegations are true (not a given, after Haditha), this is an atrocity, and must be prosecuted to the full extent of the UCMJ. Don't make excuses for it, just let it play out.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Assuming that the allegations are true (not a given, after Haditha), this is an atrocity, and must be prosecuted to the full extent of the UCMJ. Don't make excuses for it, just let it play out.
    Of course you are right, it gets old when day after day we hear a report of another Afghani turning on the soldiers that trained them and killing them, you get desensitized toward them after awhile.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Well I'm sure the Afghani's burned some book he liked a lot, that gave him total permission to go on a killing spree if they are going to be that culturally insensitive.
    The two most corrosive effects on urban America: Gun control and gentrification.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyChiefs View Post
    Well I'm sure the Afghani's burned some book he liked a lot, that gave him total permission to go on a killing spree if they are going to be that culturally insensitive.
    Maybe they did, but even if it was his mint copy of Action Comics #1, the UCMJ takes a dim view of killing non-combatants.

We aren't terrorist lowlives who kill women and children with impunity, and when one of us crosses the line, we need to make sure that he is brought to justice and the line remains. I don't have a problem punishing one of our own for crossing that line. The thing that we're getting sick of is that our enemy doesn't even see the line, and we do nothing about it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

8. #8 Taliban vow revenge for U.S. soldier's shooting rampage 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Imagine that!!!

By the CNN Wire Staff
    updated 7:01 AM EDT, Mon March 12, 2012

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- The Afghan Taliban said Monday that the group's fighters would exact revenge for 16 people left dead after an American soldier went on a house-to-house shooting rampage a day earlier in two villages.

Describing U.S. forces as "sick-minded American savages," the Taliban said in a website statement that the group would mete out punishment for the "barbaric actions."

U.S. officials have expressed shock and sadness over the attack. Afghan leaders have angrily condemned it. President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan called it an "unforgivable" crime, noting that nine of the dead were children.

The killings have fueled fears of intensified ire directed at international forces in the country following deadly riots last month over the burning of Qurans by U.S. troops.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Maybe they did, but even if it was his mint copy of Action Comics #1, the UCMJ takes a dim view of killing non-combatants.

We aren't terrorist lowlives who kill women and children with impunity, and when one of us crosses the line, we need to make sure that he is brought to justice and the line remains. I don't have a problem punishing one of our own for crossing that line. The thing that we're getting sick of is that our enemy doesn't even see the line, and we do nothing about it.

It's bad and I'm glad that they got the guy responsible, but it's still you guys who are actively serving who are going to ultimately pay for this guy's actions. Time to bring you all home.

Not good. My unit that I just retired from is over there. I know over four hundred of those Soldiers and this doesn't bode well for them.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand