Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This sort of makes me think how it used to be for the news services and how it is today. The NYTimes (the paper of record?) was deign to cover Hitlers atrocities against the jews. Even though the paper is owned by a jew. Only later and reluctantly at best was some of it covered/ uncovered as it were.

Today the news wires/ services including CNN try to obscure any atrocities by Americas enemies while at the same time trying to deliberately mis-characterize even so much as an American serviceman or woman stubbing their toe to be some sort of atrocity against human decency. All this with the tacit approval of our own government. In fact is goes further. Its encouraged. Our own military is often characterized or compared by congressmen as behaving like nazis. Not only congressmen but a former senator who is now president too.

This case probably doesnt fall into this subset. But it just made me think. And as I understand it, the rules of engagement for our forces have been changed by these patriots in our congress so that now our forces must be fired upon FIRST before they can take action. So if I understand this right, our heros must watch their friends be killed (in some or many cases) before they can even engage the enemy. I wonder how many times you have to watch that happen before your eyes before something breaks down in your pyche.

Anyways as I said before, this particular incident reported by CNN does sound like an atrocity. It just made me think, thats all.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Maybe they did, but even if it was his mint copy of Action Comics #1, the UCMJ takes a dim view of killing non-combatants.
    Presuming facts not in evidence. Just saying.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    We have handled this all wrong from the start. The US response to the attack on New York and DC should have been swift, terrifying, and indiscriminate. Make it clear not to the Taliban (because they are crazy anyway) but to the Muslims of the world that every single act of terrorism against the Civilized Nations will result in a surgical strike on a sacred site, preferably one with tens of thousands of people in it.

How many civilians have died in Iraq and Afghanistan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Millions, doubtlessly. Would you like to narrow that by a timeframe or circumstance?

Assuming that the allegations are true (not a given, after Haditha), this is an atrocity, and must be prosecuted to the full extent of the UCMJ. Don't make excuses for it, just let it play out.
    After the last two comments, I wanted to say thank you to that.

I do think that an investigation should be done. Just just hang the guy. Don't take advice from the Taliban or any other
    murdering group of people about it.

Maybe they did, but even if it was his mint copy of Action Comics #1, the UCMJ takes a dim view of killing non-combatants.

We aren't terrorist lowlives who kill women and children with impunity, and when one of us crosses the line, we need to make sure that he is brought to justice and the line remains. I don't have a problem punishing one of our own for crossing that line. The thing that we're getting sick of is that our enemy doesn't even see the line, and we do nothing about it.
    True, and it upsets me that Joe Biden actually said that the Taliban were not our enemy. They're an enemy of the United States. They're an enemy to women, and we have women here.

I'm seriously considering voting for my dog this November. No, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Thing is civilians die from the following:

1) Insurgents in their own country, which we try to protect them from.

2) Civilian casualties in war, ACCIDENT. Tragic, but accidental.

3) The rare occurances of murdering civilians.

That's the major difference between our country's government and theirs. If our men and women murder civilians, we punish them.
    If their men murder civilians, they'll justify it and/or cover it up. Syrian government just flat out murders on a daily basis. That's the major difference here.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Millions, doubtlessly. Would you like to narrow that by a timeframe or circumstance?
    How many civilians have died in Afghanistan and Iraq as a direct or indirect result of military engagements since 2001 and 2003 respectively?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Thing is civilians die from the following:

1) Insurgents in their own country, which we try to protect them from.

2) Civilian casualties in war, ACCIDENT. Tragic, but accidental.

3) The rare occurances of murdering civilians.
    Does this also apply in our wars with Japan and Vietnam?