Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Are they asking for the death penalty where 14 were killed in Fort Hood while the gunman shouted Allah Akbar, you know "the workplace incident"?

I'll never forget the rain of apologies from the Islamic community after that one!
    I'm always against the DP. I'm particularly against it when:

1. Someone is being singled out over similar offenders so that they can make an example out of him

and/or

2. There is some real mitigating circumstance behind his crime, like a medical condition.

It's looking like this guy fits both criteria to get some sympathy from me.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

1. Someone is being singled out over similar offenders so that they can make an example out of him

and/or
    If that offender tortured your family to death in front of you. The raped and murdered your family over days while you watched just to increase your horror, would that be reason enough to make an example out of him?
    2. There is some real mitigating circumstance behind his crime, like a medical condition.

What if he is high functioning and that condition were a real and present danger, AND he knew what he had done was wrong?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly where you are on this DP issue.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Are they asking for the death penalty where 14 were killed in Fort Hood while the gunman shouted Allah Akbar, you know "the workplace incident"?

I'll never forget the rain of apologies from the Islamic community after that one!
    Nidal Hasan should have been charged with treason, as well as multiple counts of murder. Both are capital crimes under the UCMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

and/or

Mitigation will be taken into account when he goes to trial. It's part of the sentencing hearing, as is a unique aspect of the UCMJ. If it turns out that he was suffering from the effects of TBI, he will most likely get a reduced sentence, but regardless, his actions have truly screwed us in Afghanistan.

The Pashtun believe in a code called "Pashtunwali", which has a number of critical principles, one of which is "Badal", which is usually translated as justice or revenge. Literally, it means "To seek justice or take revenge against the wrongdoer." Justice in Pashtunwali extends to things that we might find trivial, such as an insult, which would demand redress through the shedding of the blood of the person making the insult or, in his absence, his closest male relation. Needless to say, this incident meets the definition of a blood feud, and Pashtun blood feuds make the Capulets and the Montagues look like a love fest. There are kids who haven't even been born who will someday take up blood feuds that started when Alexander crossed into India. The only way to satisfy this kind of blood feud is to either wipe out the tribe, give them the offender or pay them off, if they will accept a payoff.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

4. #44 Breaking news 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Military sources identify the suspect in the shooting deaths of 16 Afghan
    civilians as Staff Sgt. Robert Bales. --- CNN
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Military sources identify the suspect in the shooting deaths of 16 Afghan
    civilians as Staff Sgt. Robert Bales. --- CNN
    Thankfully the Army has done the right thing and moved his family on post before the media vultures could work their "magic" on her and the family.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Thankfully the Army has done the right thing and moved his family on post before the media vultures could work their "magic" on her and the family.
    Or, worse, before a jihadi could settle the blood debt. That family is a target, now. They should have round-the-clock protection.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Or, worse, before a jihadi could settle the blood debt. That family is a target, now. They should have round-the-clock protection.
    I sure hope that is being done
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Maybe like me they have their own round the clock protection. The police are for filling out the paperwork after a crime. I opt to do the protecting in the present and allow the police to clean up the mess after me.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I sure hope that is being done
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Maybe like me they have their own round the clock protection. The police are for filling out the paperwork after a crime. I opt to do the protecting in the present and allow the police to clean up the mess after me.
    If they are on the post, they probably are not permitted to carry weapons, and given the circumstances, any guns that they had and that were registered with the Provost Marshall were probably taken. However, the post commander ought to raise the threat level and ensure that there are MPs or federal police guarding the family, especially since the media was kind enough to inform every jihadi within CONUS as to their approximate location.
    --Odysseus

If they are on the post, they probably are not permitted to carry weapons, and given the circumstances, any guns that they had and that were registered with the Provost Marshall were probably taken. However, the post commander ought to raise the threat level and ensure that there are MPs or federal police guarding the family, especially since the media was kind enough to inform every jihadi within CONUS as to their approximate location.
    Roger, I'm tracking. I know that the regs changed for off post guns. They did not have to register them if off post. As for on post, I guess it's better than nothing. I'd still take my chances off post with my own firepower.
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand