Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Pool-mageddon avoided for now 
    By Stephen Dinan

The Justice Department on Thursday issued a 60-day stay of execution for hundreds of thousands of public pools which had been required to install ramps and wheelchair lifts by today or else face lawsuits over violating disability laws.

President Obama in 2010 dramatically expanded the rules for access under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the new regulations mean that every publicly accessible pool from municipal facilities to hotels must have two "accessible means of entry," at least one of which must be a ramp or wheelchair lift. Spas must also have either a lift or a transfer system to help the disabled enter them, under the new rules.
    Read More>http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...n-avoided-now/
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    I haven't read the regulation.

Even if a pool has a lift mechanism of some sort, what if it's an unattended pool? There are going to be people who can't get in and out by themselves. Even if a pool has a lift mechanism which a handicapped person can operate himself, no handicapped person should be swimming in a pool by himself, actually no able bodied person should swim by himself but that has nothing to do with this.

How handicapped accessible does it have to be? That which is accessible to a strong upper body person with limited or no use of legs is not going to be accessible to a severe case of cerebral palsy.

Better the regulation read that public swimming pools and commercial swimming pools must have either equipment or staff to assist the handicapped. Cross train a bellman for lifeguard and have him attend the occasional handicapped person who wants to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I haven't read the regulation.

Even if a pool has a lift mechanism of some sort, what if it's an unattended pool? There are going to be people who can't get in and out by themselves. Even if a pool has a lift mechanism which a handicapped person can operate himself, no handicapped person should be swimming in a pool by himself, actually no able bodied person should swim by himself but that has nothing to do with this.

How handicapped accessible does it have to be? That which is accessible to a strong upper body person with limited or no use of legs is not going to be accessible to a severe case of cerebral palsy.

Better the regulation read that public swimming pools and commercial swimming pools must have either equipment or staff to assist the handicapped. Cross train a bellman for lifeguard and have him attend the occasional handicapped person who wants to swim.
    I think we both know the end result if they implement this will be lots of pools closed, especially in areas where they can't afford them now.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I think we both know the end result if they implement this will be lots of pools closed, especially in areas where they can't afford them now.
    lol!

Headline: Inner city youth can't swim due to Obama regulation.

The REINS Act was designed to prevent exactly this sort of thing. I have an email from my congressman stating his unequivocal support of the REINS Act.
    You should ask your congressional representative to support the REINS Act.
    http://http://www.washingtonpost.com...VMdO_blog.html

spent 4 years at sea. seen all the water to last me a lifetime
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    spent 4 years at sea. seen all the water to last me a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    when I got back home it was years before i could sit in a rocking chair
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    when I got back home it was years before i could sit in a rocking chair
    That navy seal that popped jessie said he hates water so much he walks around puddles lol

Most public pools, at a community center or at a school, have lifeguards and attendants on duty. I swim at the community center and there are always 7-8 lifeguards on duty. They also have both ramps and the lift chair for the disabled. I've never seen anyone use the latter, though. They have water aerobics and swimming classes for seniors and the disabled, so the pool was designed with those things in mind (it was built around 2003).

The swimming places in which I don't see lifeguards are hotel pools and beaches that aren't part of a state park. It is a burden on a hotel to have to upgrade everything to be in line with this law. Most of their pools are pretty small, anyways, for fitting a ramp into the cement.