Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 Pool-mageddon avoided for now 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,459
    By Stephen Dinan

    The Justice Department on Thursday issued a 60-day stay of execution for hundreds of thousands of public pools which had been required to install ramps and wheelchair lifts by today or else face lawsuits over violating disability laws.

    President Obama in 2010 dramatically expanded the rules for access under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the new regulations mean that every publicly accessible pool from municipal facilities to hotels must have two "accessible means of entry," at least one of which must be a ramp or wheelchair lift. Spas must also have either a lift or a transfer system to help the disabled enter them, under the new rules.
    Read More>http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...n-avoided-now/
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    I haven't read the regulation.

    Even if a pool has a lift mechanism of some sort, what if it's an unattended pool? There are going to be people who can't get in and out by themselves. Even if a pool has a lift mechanism which a handicapped person can operate himself, no handicapped person should be swimming in a pool by himself, actually no able bodied person should swim by himself but that has nothing to do with this.

    How handicapped accessible does it have to be? That which is accessible to a strong upper body person with limited or no use of legs is not going to be accessible to a severe case of cerebral palsy.

    Better the regulation read that public swimming pools and commercial swimming pools must have either equipment or staff to assist the handicapped. Cross train a bellman for lifeguard and have him attend the occasional handicapped person who wants to swim.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I haven't read the regulation.

    Even if a pool has a lift mechanism of some sort, what if it's an unattended pool? There are going to be people who can't get in and out by themselves. Even if a pool has a lift mechanism which a handicapped person can operate himself, no handicapped person should be swimming in a pool by himself, actually no able bodied person should swim by himself but that has nothing to do with this.

    How handicapped accessible does it have to be? That which is accessible to a strong upper body person with limited or no use of legs is not going to be accessible to a severe case of cerebral palsy.

    Better the regulation read that public swimming pools and commercial swimming pools must have either equipment or staff to assist the handicapped. Cross train a bellman for lifeguard and have him attend the occasional handicapped person who wants to swim.
    I think we both know the end result if they implement this will be lots of pools closed, especially in areas where they can't afford them now.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I think we both know the end result if they implement this will be lots of pools closed, especially in areas where they can't afford them now.
    lol!

    Headline: Inner city youth can't swim due to Obama regulation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    The REINS Act was designed to prevent exactly this sort of thing. I have an email from my congressman stating his unequivocal support of the REINS Act.
    You should ask your congressional representative to support the REINS Act.
    http://http://www.washingtonpost.com...VMdO_blog.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,031
    spent 4 years at sea. seen all the water to last me a lifetime
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    spent 4 years at sea. seen all the water to last me a lifetime
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    when I got back home it was years before i could sit in a rocking chair
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    when I got back home it was years before i could sit in a rocking chair
    That navy seal that popped jessie said he hates water so much he walks around puddles lol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,873
    Most public pools, at a community center or at a school, have lifeguards and attendants on duty. I swim at the community center and there are always 7-8 lifeguards on duty. They also have both ramps and the lift chair for the disabled. I've never seen anyone use the latter, though. They have water aerobics and swimming classes for seniors and the disabled, so the pool was designed with those things in mind (it was built around 2003).

    The swimming places in which I don't see lifeguards are hotel pools and beaches that aren't part of a state park. It is a burden on a hotel to have to upgrade everything to be in line with this law. Most of their pools are pretty small, anyways, for fitting a ramp into the cement.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •