Thread: FCC decision strikes critical blow to right-wing radio dominance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Perhaps an injection of facts might be appropriate in this issue.......

Basically......after wading through all the FCC boilerplate, the essence of this is that :

1. It is a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, which is the beginning of a long process that will/will not ultimately end up in a modification of FCC regs. Hearings, public comment periods, and ultimate court challenges will all come into play before this proposal becomes a rule, which can take YEARS, if ever.

2. The vast bulk of the rules change involves "translators", which ARE NOT new radio stations. A translator is merely a receiver/transmitter that takes a signal from a distant existing (high-power) radio station and rebroadcasts it unchanged into an area where due to distance, or topography, listeners cannot receive this station normally. They are broadly employed in all emission types (AM and FM radio, television, two-way radio, as well as emergency services)......largely in mountainous areas where communities are located that have difficulty receiving signals from metro areas, where major broadcasters are typically found. The proposal loosens the spectrum interference and separation requirements for translators, allowing more of them to be licensed, adding nothing to the diffusion of "content" if anything it could potentially allow shows like Rush Limaugh to be heard in even more remote areas.

3. It proposes fifty (50) new LPFM (low power FM) licenses (out of 6300 applications), giving priority to Indian reservations and other areas where radio stations (due to advertising revenue potential) are not economically feasible. Since the notice mentions absolutely nothing about programming content , the maximum downside for conservative listeners would expansion of "public radio" services like NPR, which nobody listens to in the first place.

It should be further noted that although the investment required to establish a low-power "community" radio station is small (compared to high-power) it is NOT nonexistant, therefore they too, have to make a profit to stay on the air. The only way that those profits are earned is by the station owners offering programming that is popular to listeners, and progrmming that advertisers are willing to sponsor.......since prior attempts at "liberal radio" have all failed miserably, there is no reason to expect these additional licenses to appeal (economically) to any different audience.

meh......

doc

This is community (aka public) access TV:

Just imagine what community (aka public) access radio must be like.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Note to the DUmmies and the lurkers....

This isn't a blow to Rush. Once again you jumped the gun before fully knowing the facts.

Oh and FWIW...Rush is already on several FM stations.

Two that come to mind immediately are WMAL in D.C. and WBAP.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    And still no one will listen.
    Actually our "community owned" little psychedelic relic radio station WMNF is pretty popular. For one thing, the sound quality is hugely better than AM radio, and you don't have annoying voices like Levin and Hannity going on for hours on end. The downside is that a fair amount of time is taken up by really annoying voices like Amy Goodman (may she burn in hell or Staten Island) and the NPR people who for some reason think that vibrating that lower end bass thingy in my ear does anything other than make me turn off the radio.

I know I am hard to please, but is it too much to expect people who talk for a living to speak in a smooth tone and medium pitch? And god forbid they pronounce "often" and words which end in "ent", "ant", or "int" correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Actually our "community owned" little psychedelic relic radio station WMNF is pretty popular. For one thing, the sound quality is hugely better than AM radio, and you don't have annoying voices like Levin and Hannity going on for hours on end. The downside is that a fair amount of time is taken up by really annoying voices like Amy Goodman (may she burn in hell or Staten Island) and the NPR people who for some reason think that vibrating that lower end bass thingy in my ear does anything other than make me turn off the radio.

I know I am hard to please, but is it too much to expect people who talk for a living to speak in a smooth tone and medium pitch? And god forbid they pronounce "often" and words which end in "ent", "ant", or "int" correctly.
    Anyone have a fly swatter handy? Theres a damn fly buzzing around.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    Bite me instead.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Note to the DUmmies and the lurkers....

This isn't a blow to Rush. Once again you jumped the gun before fully knowing the facts.

Oh and FWIW...Rush is already on several FM stations.

Two that come to mind immediately are WMAL in D.C. and WBAP.
    Wish we did around here. Rush is only on AM and where I live is right on the edge of receiving it. So depending on the weather, its iffy some days, half decent others.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Wish we did around here. Rush is only on AM and where I live is right on the edge of receiving it. So depending on the weather, its iffy some days, half decent others.
    We have him on FM too.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg