Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Toys You Had As A Kid That In No Way Could Be Around Today 
    I was on another forum talking about who was around the longest as a fan and someone brought up toys they played with as a kid and it got me to thinking. What toys did you have as a kid that couldn't be put out today in a million years. For me, there are a couple. The first is something called Creepy Crawlies:

Basically, you put this goop into a metal mold then put into a metal hot plate then cooked until hardened. This would never fly today. Would be deemed too dangerous.

The other is the good old fashioned chemistry set. Sure they try to pass off things called chemistry sets but I bet none of the ones today have Bunsen burners.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Not to sound like Grampa Moses here, but until I was ten we lived in a town that had no department store that even came close to a real Sears. We had a Sears catalogue store, they were building a new Montgomery Ward, and there was Woolworth's and McCrory's. The really cool stuff like chemistry sets and good quality pocket knives were to be found at Salisbury Drug. The really expensive chemistry set, which probably cost under $20, had the microscope and the chemicals that made big fizzies and volcanoes.

I guess the most dangerous "toy" I had was a minibike that my dad made for me out of a bicycle frame and a lawn mower engine. Stopping was not its strong point, and to stop I often had to run off into the corn field until it bogged down and I would jump off. The barn itself was a pretty dangerous place for kids to play, I suppose, though nothing terrible ever happened there. Older boys would play soldier in the soy bean fields, with BB guns shooting at each other. They would move around in a crawl or crouched position and pop up above the soybeans and fire. A BB to a cold ear would sting really badly.

We all had BB guns, knives, matches, machines, gasoline, lighter fluid, and similar stuff at our disposal. And to my knowledge, no one was permanently damaged. Real guns were only used with adult male supervision, but my friend's mom was a crack shot with a .22 rifle through the kitchen window.

a home science kit.

Quote Originally Posted by hai View Post
    a home science kit.
    At least try to keep up with the rest of the class.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Probably the old wooden Lincoln Logs - I'm sure the stain on them was all kinds of toxic. That was one of my favorite toys. Ever. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Probably the old wooden Lincoln Logs - I'm sure the stain on them was all kinds of toxic. That was one of my favorite toys. Ever. :)

LOL, you can still buy them brand new at any big store
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    NJ, you realize they still make and sell those Creepy Crawlers maker sets right?

http://www.target.com/p/Creepy-Crawl...i_sku=13434126

You want classic ads that wont fly today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvt8skgm2l8
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

The other is the good old fashioned chemistry set. Sure they try to pass off things called chemistry sets but I bet none of the ones today have Bunsen burners.

http://setchemistry.com/?gclid=CO-P2...FcHJKgodfhw8yw

"Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    LOL, you can still buy them brand new at any big store
    I just assumed they had gone plastic. It seems they tried that in the seventies, and it failed, so they went back to wood. I didn't know the inventor was the son of Frank Lloyd Wright!
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.