Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I believe it was originally mentioned in the story that young Mr. Martin was out and about at the particular time because he had been suspended from school for that day, which led me to believe there might well be more to this story than the 'innocent honor student gunned down by a bloodthirsty Fascist' angle the media, the race-baiting AG, and the family want to play up. I'm reserving judgment on the whole thing for now.
    He was under a 5-day suspension for "tardiness" according to his teacher.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,3347110.story

Originally, we were told that Trayvon had gone to visit his dad "to relax"

Power CUer
    By the way, everyone, I've got a whole thread on this:

http://www.conservativeunderground.c...147#post492147

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    As of yet, this is all supposition. We don't really know what exactly happened or how. According to the girlfriend (who has only talked to the Martin family lawyers) Trayvon spoke first demanding to know why Zimmerman was following him. We know nothing else about their altercation until the 911 calls, when one of the men is screaming for help and then there's a gunshot.

The other (mis)information that is out there has appeared only in the media, not in police reports.

Also, Zimmerman did not call 911. He called the non-emergency dispatch number and he was told that they "didn't need" him to follow Trayvon. There was nothing about confronting him because, as of that call, no confrontation had occurred.
    Zimmerman has a history of playing volunteer cop according to the sheriffs office in Sanford. He made is call to report a potential problem and should have left it at that unless he observed something questionable like Martin looking in windows or something. What we do know is this, Zimmerman observed Martin walking through the neighborhood and reported him and stated he was going to follow him. He was advised against it and then either he or Martin closed the distance that separated one from the other. If Zimmerman had left well enough alone then Martin would probably still be alive and people wouldn't be calling for Zimmerman's head right now.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Zimmerman has a history of playing volunteer cop according to the sheriffs office in Sanford. He made is call to report a potential problem and should have left it at that unless he observed something questionable like Martin looking in windows or something. What we do know is this, Zimmerman observed Martin walking through the neighborhood and reported him and stated he was going to follow him. He was advised against it and then either he or Martin closed the distance that separated one from the other. If Zimmerman had left well enough alone then Martin would probably still be alive and people wouldn't be calling for Zimmerman's head right now.
    I'd like the link for that if you have it. So far, I've just heard it as innuendo from DUmmies and their cohort.

Power CUer
    Also, I have an issue with the timeline that doesn't seem quite right:

Trayvon left his father's girlfriend's home at Twin Lakes during halftime of the NBA All Star game, sometime around 7 pm EST. (Trayvon was dead by 7:17 when the police arrived). He walked to the 7-11 nearest to Twin Lakes.

There is a problem with this story timewise. The NBA All Star Game did not start until 7:30 on TNT. The Pregame show was at 7. Sanford, Florida is Eastern Standard Time. George Zimmerman telephoned the police at approximately 7pm. This meant that Trayvon had left the house he was visiting by at least 6:45, before the Pregame show, and probably earlier.

Did the family lie about this and, if so, why lie about something so insignificant?

Link to TV listings: http://www.tvtango.com/listings/2012/02/26
    Last edited by Elspeth; 03-21-2012 at 10:58 PM.

I'd like the link for that if you have it. So far, I've just heard it as innuendo from DUmmies and their cohort.
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-office-report

Please don't insinuate that I am either a DUer or one of their cohorts.

This article confirms that he was part of a neighborhood watch program
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/world/artic...fatal-shooting

This article states that it was an unregistered neighborhood watch program
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/world/artic...fatal-shooting
    Last edited by FlaGator; 03-22-2012 at 09:50 AM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    There's a lot of truth in this. Keeping a cool head is usually a good idea, and Zimmerman failed in that way. Playing cop; carrying a gun; confronting potential bad guys; these things get an awful lot of people in trouble.

But Martin failed, too. Unable to go to school (temporarily); fighting with strangers (let's assume that is true); timelines that don't check out; something stinks about this case.

Now, public opinion has been skewed by various groups and individuals with various agendas. As the press is so fond of saying, "The truth may never be known". Even though there is someone to tell it. - Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    There's a lot of truth in this. Keeping a cool head is usually a good idea, and Zimmerman failed in that way. Playing cop; carrying a gun; confronting potential bad guys; these things get an awful lot of people in trouble.

But Martin failed, too. Unable to go to school (temporarily); fighting with strangers (let's assume that is true); timelines that don't check out; something stinks about this case.

Now, public opinion has been skewed by various groups and individuals with various agendas. As the press is so fond of saying, "The truth may never be known". Even though there is someone to tell it. - Zimmerman.
    What makes things worse is that the federal government is involved in it, they have proven how unbiased and just they are in the last 3 years.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I believe it was originally mentioned in the story that young Mr. Martin was out and about at the particular time because he had been suspended from school for that day, which led me to believe there might well be more to this story than the 'innocent honor student gunned down by a bloodthirsty Fascist' angle the media, the race-baiting AG, and the family want to play up. I'm reserving judgment on the whole thing for now.
    He was under a 5-day suspension for "tardiness" according to his teacher.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,3347110.story

Originally, we were told that Trayvon had gone to visit his dad "to relax"
    Looks like Teach was providing some cover for Trayvon:

We’re also learning more about Trayvon Martin. According to reporters he had been suspended from school. The International Business Times says Martin’s suspension was due to last for 10 days. But what exactly was he suspended for in the first place? Sources sympathetic to Martin say he was suspended for “excessive tardiness.” However, a quick review of both the local policies for Martin’s school, the Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School, and of the Miami-Dade school district’s district-wide policies, raise some doubts. According to Miami-Dade policy, in order to get a suspension of 10 days, Martin would have had to either commit “repeated, serious or habitual” acts of the following:

• Cheating/Misrepresentation
    • Confrontation with a staff member
    • Defiance of school personnel
    • Distribution of items or materials that are inappropriate for an educational setting*
    • Failure to comply with previously prescribed corrective strategies
    • False accusation
    • Fighting (minor)
    • Harassment (non-sexual or isolated)
    • Instigative behavior
    • Leaving school grounds without permission
    • Joining clubs or groups not approved by the School Board
    • Libel
    • Petty theft (under $300.00)
    • Use of profane or provocative language directed at someone
    • Prohibited sales on school grounds (other than controlled substances)
    • Possession and/or use of tobacco products
    • Slander
    • Vandalism (minor)

Or even occasional offenses from the following:

• Assault/Threat against a non-staff member
    • Breaking and Entering/Burglary
    • Bullying (repeated harassment)*
    • Disruption on campus/Disorderly conduct
    • Fighting (serious)
    • Harassment (Civil Rights)**
    • Hazing (misdemeanor)
    • Possession or use of alcohol and/or controlled substances
    • Possession of simulated weapons
    • Sexual harassment**
    • Trespassing
    • Vandalism (major)

Or of the following:

• Grand theft (over $300.00)
    • Hate crime
    • Hazing (felony)
    • Motor vehicle theft
    • Other major crimes/incidents
    • Sale and/or distribution of alcohol and/or controlled substances
    • Sex offenses (other) (including possession and/or distribution of obscene or lewd materials)

Or possibly even of the following, each of which carries a minimum suspension of ten days:

• Aggravated assault
    • Aggravated battery against a non-staff member
    • Armed robbery
    • Arson
    • Assault/Threat against M-DCPS employees or persons conducting official business
    • Battery or Aggravated battery against M-DCPS employees or persons conducting official business*
    • Homicide
    • Kidnapping/Abduction
    • Making a false report/threat against the school*
    • Sexual battery
    • Possession, use, sale, or distribution of firearms, explosives, destructive devices, and other weapons.

I'd really like to see that school discipline record.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Yeah, something doesn't jibe. 10 days for excessive tardiness or absence while maintaining an A/B average seems somewhat inconsistent. If you're getting suspended for 10 days for attendance violations it means he's probably rarely at school.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.