Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Little kids are tempting to all the critters. When I was in British Columbia, there were all kinds of signs up warning about cougars, saying they particularly were fond of short people (aka kids or short women like myself).

That did freak me out seeing that snake slither out of the drain near the pool!

Was at Miami Metrozoo shortly after Andrew. They said that when some of the enclosures blew down, animals like the rhinos just stayed in place, were too traumatized to go outside their normal perimeters.
    during the war when I was in the Philippines (subic bay) we were going back to the ship late one night. we were waiting on a bus at a guard station. a jeep came out of the dark going slow and getting slower. when it got near the gate it stopped and the Marines jumped out and looked underneath. a constrictor, Boa or Python had wrapped itself around the rear axle and brought the jeep to a stand still. one of em pulled a pistol and killed it. that's power !!!
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

I've always been entranced by snakes. Been catching them and keeping them since I was 6. I had to stop when I got married but was able to transfer the interest to some herptile population research in cohorts with ENMU.

We got Corals, Copperheads and Rattlers around here but all I've seen in my back yard so far is a Hog-nosed and a green grass snake.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

My kids had snakes when they were young, a boa that started really getting big and a smaller snake, think it was a young corn snake. I was terrified of them then. The boa escaped his enclosure and was missing for 2 days. I didn't get much sleep those 2 nights. The other one excaped and slithered under a built in cabinet into a hole that I didn't know was in the wall. We never saw him again.

When I went through animal handling training at the zoo, i had to pass the test on handling all the animals available for the Children's Zoo. With work I got over my fear and actually enjoyed showing them to the kids more than most of the other animals (other than the birds of prey). They usually were calmer and it was fun getting the kids to overcome their fears. But I never felt easy handling the larger boas and pythons. They were just too powerful.

The hedgehogs were cuter and easier. Some of the larger lizards were easy, too. My absolute favorites were the owls. I really miss doing that. Volunteering at Mote Marine here is really fun, but there isn't much animal handling opportunities there with the dolphins and manatees and large sea turtles. But I can spin quite the yarn for the tourists about all of them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    I've always been entranced by snakes. Been catching them and keeping them since I was 6. I had to stop when I got married but was able to transfer the interest to some herptile population research in cohorts with ENMU.

We got Corals, Copperheads and Rattlers around here but all I've seen in my back yard so far is a Hog-nosed and a green grass snake.
    When I lived in San Antonio had the rattlers and scorpions. For a year I lived in Poplar Bluff, Mo, in a subdivision at the end of town near a woods. There were way too many copperheads all over, including the streets. I was really careful down there.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

I lost a grass snake in the house sometime around jr high. Mom told me to never tell Dad or we would be taking the house apart board by board.
    Sometime a little later I caught a black racer that ran up a tree as I rode my horse by. Problem was the 'tree' was only about 6 feet tall so I was able to reach up and grab him.
    Then the fun started. My horse caught a whiff as I remounted and we went home just about as fast as she could run. She jumped the front fence into the yard and I slid off and let her head on to the back. Dad came running out hollering about what I was doing to the horse until he saw the snake. He was back in the house with the door locked faster than a lightning bolt.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oh dear!!! Did I offend???
    I'm surprised that Wei hasn't come in to discuss it. You have to take the institutional racism into account when you talk about snakes and reptiles. Ever since the book of Genesis, the institutions of our culture have held an intrinsic bias against Amphibian and Reptile Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    wait till the gators come knockin' for dinner
    That's just our reptiles coming home to roost.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    SLW, good thing you have manly man like SR to take care of these pests....I'd just use it as a reason to call the hunks at the Fire Department..

{I kid!}
    So, your cat keeps getting stuck in that tree all by itself? Really?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

They have blue racers up near grandpa's house (which is being sold). I always thought they'd make nice shoes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Well sorta...

We have tons of those snakes and they are usually not a bother. They keep the lizard population in check but today they have come in our pool cage 3 times. I let them out but next time it will be without a head.

SOBs are coming up a hole in the plastic pool rain drain channel. We watched one come right up and I had just thrown it back outside about 15 minutes before. Got the hole plugged but they better take the hint...

I saw the snake on the table outside only by seeing the tongue shoot out!
    I have several large rat snakes living around my house, and I have no rodents in my house or yard that I am aware of. I see the little rats running along the top of the fence now and then, and found some what looked to me to be kangaroo rat babies living in my BBQ one spring, but none in the house.

Fun story. My mom called her neighbor one day in a panic and the neighbor ran right over. Lounging in the living room blinds and sunning itself was about a five foot snake. Harmless, but disconcerting.

Just saw a copperhead down by a creek the other week. ...I kept my distance.