Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I was thinking, and getting pissed, at work tonight 
    link

Star Member Marrah_G (17,042 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

View profile

I was thinking, and getting pissed, at work tonight
    There I am, the only cashier at a major pharmacy, having to face the entire store, put away returns, take care of the trash and vacuum the whole fucking place with an old piece of crap vacuum while lugging around extension cords. All this while taking care of the customers. I get paid minimum wage and can never work full time, no one there but managers and pharmacists work full time so they dont have to pay for health insurance.

All I could think of was "WTF, the CEO makes millions in bonuses solely because he is rich and needs to get RICHER and they can't get the fucking store a cordless vacuum that WORKS right or hire on a second cashier so I am not killing myself to get everything done"

It's frustrating and I am beginning to feel like a french peasant before the revolution......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Two part time jobs, living the American dream, thanks alot richie rich and all your fucking buddies.
    So it's the fault of the "ritchie rich" that Marrah is in an entry level job that pays minimum wage rather than in management or a very difficult degree in pharmacology.

If you don't like your job find another or go back to school.
    TheMastersNemesis (565 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    1. This Is Situation The New Norm

This work situation is the new norm. Ronald Reagan said we would have a service economy. And this is the economy we have now. You can blame all the Republicans and some Democrats for your predicament. Better yet you can blame all the stupid asses who voted GOP for 30 years. And you can blame all the leader in the scumsucking fundy churches who helped push and validate that agenda.

Americans who vote conservative can blame themselves. And the ones who are unemployed and sick and voted GOP can stay unemployed and starve and the sick ones can die. We would not be in this mess if voters had kept putting Republicans in office.
    They are responsible for starting it. And too many weak Democrats were too scared to resist.
    To liberals it's always someone elses fault.......it's never their decisions.
    Star Member Solomon (8,351 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    2. modern day slavery: stop providing room and board for

your slaves. Pay them a wage instead, and make them pay their own room and board, and keep them in debt.
    Star Member TeamsterDem (945 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    6. It really is sick that they do that, and even sicker that some wage earners support it

by voting Republican. Republicans always leave people in this kind of a mess, working way too many jobs and too afraid to unionize because they've gutted labor laws and enforcement for decades. And their ridiculous lemmings in the red states seem to think that if they don't have high wages that no one else in the country deserves 'em either, that's why they support these idiots because they think that a higher wage for you will somehow put them in the poor(er) house.

Something isn't right when people have to work like that for low wages.
    Last edited by Carol; 03-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Well!!!

Marrah should just quit and...and...well...GET A CEO job from Obama!!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Watch that space lady- soon it will be just you. Pharmacists will soon go the way of the dodo, as let's be real here these are no longer "dispensing chemists" they are credentialed pill counters, and now machines do most of that too. The latest effort in Medicare/Caremark is designed to remove as many prescriptions as possible from the physical pharamcy, and it works really well. Soon, there will probably be one live pharmacist in a given area, perhaps at what is now your 24 hr. Pharmacy and the rest will be pick up stores only. In a warehouse somewhere in Tennessee will be hundreds of "Pharmacy technicians" who work under a single licensed pharmacist preparing mail order drugs.

And how long with it be before a live manager in each store is no longer necessary? Hell, the Walmart I go to seems to run with almost nothing but cashiers in the evening and nightstockers after 11PM. I would fall over dead from shock if I ever saw the actual store manager on the floor, much less running a cash register in the rush. I would bet one manager could manage three Walgreens stores from a central location with a telephone, web cam, and direct access to the local PA system.

Yrs back I started out doing basically grunt work for a construction firm. Today I own that firm. I'm no genius ,have no formal education beyond a couple yrs of college. I like to think I worked hard and took advice from the right people and applied it accordingly. If I can do it I am positive others can also.

The first rule on the road to success is don't expect to start at the top or you will never get there.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Yrs back I started out doing basically grunt work for a construction firm. Today I own that firm. I'm no genius ,have no formal education beyond a couple yrs of college. I like to think I worked hard and took advice from the right people and applied it accordingly. If I can do it I am positive others can also.

The first rule on the road to success is don't expect to start at the top or you will never get there.
    Wait, I though the American dream was a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Pirate View Post
    I would like to think it's alive and well to those that reject the entitlement mentality. It's also a myth that those evil rich people inherited their wealth. the vast majority of todays wealthy folks stared from humble beginnings. Warren Buffet for example. Bill gates from not so humble beginnings but far from wealthy.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Pirate View Post
    it is, if you do minmun wage work. i've done the min. wage jobs, but i did higher wage work. that, my friends, is what separated me from the others and why i got the raises while the others bitched and moaned...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I would like to think it's alive and well to those that reject the entitlement mentality. It's also a myth that those evil rich people inherited their wealth. the vast majority of todays wealthy folks stared from humble beginnings. Warren Buffet for example. Bill gates from not so humble beginnings but far from wealthy.
    Warren Buffett's father was a US Congressman and Warren attended the finest schools; not exactly rags to riches.

There are indeed some truly self-made people in the Forbes caste. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but surely there are. Our media loves to sell us this self-made miracle routine as a good story. I remember reading about Mrs. Fields and how she started with "nothing but a recipe working in her kitchen". Well, it's only been recently that it became legal once again to start a food business in your home kitchen in Florida. I don't know how Mrs. Fields did that legally in her home state, but it turned out that it wasn't as it had been presented anyway. Mrs. Fields started off with a recipe, an oven, and a husband who gave her $50,000 in a time when that would buy a really nice house most places.

We shouldn't look for reasons to fail, or reasons to believe that it's not possible to go from rags to riches, but pumping out feel good bullshit isn't really productive either. And as many have noted, the brand names that you see in the grocery store and elsewhere may well have started out in someone's kitchen or garage but pure food and drug laws as well a zoning laws, safety laws and all sorts of things that most Americans really do approve of make it a lot harder to start a potato chip or chemical business in your back porch.

I got one for you. John Layfield. Son of a minister and after a failed attempt at professional football, he became a professional wrestler(best know as Bradshaw then later John Bradshaw Layfield(JBL)). During this time, he invested his money wisely and became a self made millionaire. Today he owns his own company.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Warren Buffett's father was a US Congressman and Warren attended the finest schools; not exactly rags to riches.

There are indeed some truly self-made people in the Forbes caste. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but surely there are. Our media loves to sell us this self-made miracle routine as a good story. I remember reading about Mrs. Fields and how she started with "nothing but a recipe working in her kitchen". Well, it's only been recently that it became legal once again to start a food business in your home kitchen in Florida. I don't know how Mrs. Fields did that legally in her home state, but it turned out that it wasn't as it had been presented anyway. Mrs. Fields started off with a recipe, an oven, and a husband who gave her $50,000 in a time when that would buy a really nice house most places.

We shouldn't look for reasons to fail, or reasons to believe that it's not possible to go from rags to riches, but pumping out feel good bullshit isn't really productive either. And as many have noted, the brand names that you see in the grocery store and elsewhere may well have started out in someone's kitchen or garage but pure food and drug laws as well a zoning laws, safety laws and all sorts of things that most Americans really do approve of make it a lot harder to start a potato chip or chemical business in your back porch.
    Buffett was born in 1930 in Omaha, Nebraska, the second of three children and only son of U.S. Representative Howard Buffett,[14] a fierce critic of the interventionist New Deal domestic and foreign policy, and his wife Leila (née Stahl). Buffett began his education at Rose Hill Elementary School in Omaha. In 1942, his father was elected to the first of four terms in the United States Congress, and after moving with his family to Washington, D.C., Warren finished elementary school, attended Alice Deal Junior High School, and graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in 1947, where his senior yearbook picture reads: "likes math; a future stock broker."[15]
    Even as a child, Buffett displayed an interest in making and saving money. He went door to door selling chewing gum, Coca-Cola, or weekly magazines. For a while, he worked in his grandfather's grocery store. While still in high school he was successful in making money by delivering newspapers, selling golfballs and stamps, and detailing cars, among other means. Filing his first income tax return in 1944, Buffett took a $35 deduction for the use of his bicycle and watch on his paper route.[16] In 1945, in his sophomore year of high school, Buffett and a friend spent $25 to purchase a usedpinball machine, which they placed in the local barber shop. Within months, they owned several machines in different barber shops.
    Buffett entered college as a freshmen in 1947 at the Wharton Business School of the University of Pennsylvania and studied there for two years from 1947 to 1949. In the year 1950, when he entered his junior year, he transferred to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln where at the age of nineteen, he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in business administration. After the completion of his undergraduate studies, Buffett enrolled at Columbia Business School
    I'll be damned that evil SOB actually had the Gaul to get an education. He should surrender all his ill gotten gains to the US Treasury immediately.

I'll lay anyone odds that if they did the research they'll find that more wealth was created than inherited in this nation. Yes they cheated by working hard & getting an education.