Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 James Cameron Mariana Trench Dive 
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-science-sub/

He did it. James Cameron just surfaced about an hour ago after making a successful dive to the floor of the Mariana Trench. Only two other people ever accomplished that before back in 1960. He went down 6.8 miles alone and was down about 8 hours. I can't wait for the National Geographic special on this. Excellent job Mr. Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-science-sub/

He did it. James Cameron just surfaced about an hour ago after making a successful dive to the floor of the Mariana Trench. Only two other people ever accomplished that before back in 1960. He went down 6.8 miles alone and was down about 8 hours. I can't wait for the National Geographic special on this. Excellent job Mr. Cameron.
    Wow Awesome! He's clearly obsessed with the deep...the Titanic, the Abyss...

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    he did it specifically to gain footage for his next Avatar movie, while a fantastic accomplishment, his tree-hugging anti-human movies can shove it
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

The April National Geographic edition has some really cool photos of the Titanic wreck, in their article commemorating the 100 anniversary of it's sinking. Cameron was interviewed for the article.

I'm not a Titanic buff, nor am I a huge fan of the movie. I liked the effects, sets and costumes in the movie, but the story and the acting were overrated. I couldn't believe it won picture of the year, it wasn't that good.

Was hoping for a catastrophic hull breach but meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Was hoping for a catastrophic hull breach but meh.
    Well, here's something from Cameron that you might like...

Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Ballard by his own admission screwed the pooch on Titanic. he never filed salvage rights. hence the reason she is raped of her belongings.

I don't think he made that mistake on the Bismarck. its a protected wreck. a war grave

Ballard also found the USS Yorktown (CV-5) wreck in May of 98, which sank during the battle of midway in jun of 42. I think she's protected as well. sitting in over 17,000 feet of water.

I would say congrads to Cameron on his dive. the trench is I think around 36,000 feet deep. and I would like to see the photos
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Well, here's something from Cameron that you might like...

vengence for the Hood?? the debate continues to this day. did the RN sink it or did the Germans scuttle it???
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

I have to say it's fascinating.

Is anyone going to see Titanic 3D release next month? I think I will take my mom and go, she loved the movie, and although the story line love-affair was a little "meh", the graphics may just be worth it.
    Last edited by Hawkgirl; 03-26-2012 at 12:29 PM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    No giant squids or monster sharks??? Dang!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!