Thread: hoop house

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    well, instead of a hoop house, decided to do a-frame cold frame instead

this is what we got so far, going to turn the 12' 2x3 on it's side instead to give it more stability, as well as doing a cross from the top to the middle support.
    another way is to bend cattle, hog or horse panels into a u-shape and put your covering over that.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    another way is to bend cattle, hog or horse panels into a u-shape and put your covering over that.
    that may work, the beds themsleves are 6'x12' so idk if they would be long enough to bend into the proper height. The people that lived there before we did put the raised beds in, I don't really like it, but it's there and I'll deal with it for now, when I have more time I'll probably move the ones closest to the garage and do a proper hoop house over the other ones and the moved ones.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

that may work, the beds themsleves are 6'x12' so idk if they would be long enough to bend into the proper height. The people that lived there before we did put the raised beds in, I don't really like it, but it's there and I'll deal with it for now, when I have more time I'll probably move the ones closest to the garage and do a proper hoop house over the other ones and the moved ones.
    When I use the panels I also use railroad ties for the ground frames.
    Drill holes through the ties and drive 1/2 - 5/8s re-bar 3' long through tie and into ground to hold ties in place( no need to fasten corners, they will go nowhere) I use the 1/2 re-bar and pound it in with a pneumatic palm-driver.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

When I use the panels I also use railroad ties for the ground frames.
    Drill holes through the ties and drive 1/2 - 5/8s re-bar 3' long through tie and into ground to hold ties in place( no need to fasten corners, they will go nowhere) I use the 1/2 re-bar and pound it in with a pneumatic palm-driver.
    Rock, is the ranch house cozy? If the balloon goes up, I'm coming south. Get used to it!
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Here is an all year green house I built from horse panels, railroad tie ground frame self supporting with peak.

looks good. I'll post pics of what I've done so far. However I'm having problems with the grommets I put in the plastic to hold it down as they rip the plastic when i put them in.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

looks good. I'll post pics of what I've done so far. However I'm having problems with the grommets I put in the plastic to hold it down as they rip the plastic when i put them in.
    WireLock/Wiggle wire.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

thanks!

thanks!
    No worries. If you can't find it at a local supplier, places like Hummert's sell it (and tons of other greenhouse related products) online.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Here is an all year green house I built from horse panels, railroad tie ground frame self supporting with peak.
    That is f'n brilliant, Rock! I have been wondering how I could have a small veggie garden and keep the deer out (we have an assload of them and can't shoot 'em ). This would be perfect. I may try this idea.