Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 The Intelligent Pig The Smartest Domestic Animal in The World 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,462
    A roadblock humans have in deciphering intelligence in animals is that we can't help but assume the smartest ones must resemble us. Clearly, nobody told that to the pig.

    How is intelligence measured? After all, even people can be intelligent or extraordinary in many ways. Some excel at math, and some are gifted linguists. Others fail in the academic arena entirely, and shine as masterful artists. One way to measure intelligence is based on the ability to solve problems.

    The associations people have made with the word, ‘pig’, are less than glamorous. In fact, there are downright negative connotations attached to the word, which is why we use it to insult people. But, let’s put aside our preconceived ideas of what we think a pig is, let’s take a look at who they really are.

    Pigs have been touted as the smartest, and the cleanest domestic animals in the world. The phrases, “sweat like a pig” or “smell like a pig”, may come to mind. But, consider that pigs don’t have sweat glands, and therefore, can’t sweat (except on the very ends of their snouts). The lack of sweat glands means lack of odor - affording no credibility to either statement.

    To compensate for the lack of a natural way to bring their body temperature down, pigs seek out water or mud. Pigs rolling in mud may look uncouth, but they are actually being quite smart. The mud not only keeps them cool, but keeps biting pests at bay, and prevents sunburn.
    As Smart as the Primates

    Intelligence research was done with pigs in the 1990s. One of the experiments was to train the pigs to move the cursor on a video screen with their snouts. When the pigs used the cursors again, they were able to distinguish between the scribbles they already knew, and the scribbles they were seeing for the first time. The pigs learned this skill as fast as the chimpanzees.

    All species of pig are smarter than dogs, and capable of abstract representation. “They can hold an icon in their mind, and remember it at a later date,” says Professor Stanley Curtis of Penn State University, who discovered that pigs dominate at video games with joy sticks. Curtis goes on to say, “Pigs are able to focus with an intensity I have never seen in a chimp.”

    Read more at Suite101: The Intelligent Pig: The Smartest Domestic Animal in The World | Suite101.com http://chris-mclaughlin.suite101.com...#ixzz1qMdT33gL
    Like who didn't already know this?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    I know they make better bacon than dogs.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I know they make better bacon than dogs.
    My dogs always get sidetracked and forget to flip it over.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Not The CU's Cooperative House LiberNigglet
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    A roadblock humans have in deciphering intelligence in animals is that we can't help but assume the smartest ones must resemble us. Clearly, nobody told that to the pig.

    How is intelligence measured? After all, even people can be intelligent or extraordinary in many ways. Some excel at math, and some are gifted linguists. Others fail in the academic arena entirely, and shine as masterful artists. One way to measure intelligence is based on the ability to solve problems.

    The associations people have made with the word, ‘pig’, are less than glamorous. In fact, there are downright negative connotations attached to the word, which is why we use it to insult people. But, let’s put aside our preconceived ideas of what we think a pig is, let’s take a look at who they really are.

    Pigs have been touted as the smartest, and the cleanest domestic animals in the world. The phrases, “sweat like a pig” or “smell like a pig”, may come to mind. But, consider that pigs don’t have sweat glands, and therefore, can’t sweat (except on the very ends of their snouts). The lack of sweat glands means lack of odor - affording no credibility to either statement.

    To compensate for the lack of a natural way to bring their body temperature down, pigs seek out water or mud. Pigs rolling in mud may look uncouth, but they are actually being quite smart. The mud not only keeps them cool, but keeps biting pests at bay, and prevents sunburn.
    As Smart as the Primates

    Intelligence research was done with pigs in the 1990s. One of the experiments was to train the pigs to move the cursor on a video screen with their snouts. When the pigs used the cursors again, they were able to distinguish between the scribbles they already knew, and the scribbles they were seeing for the first time. The pigs learned this skill as fast as the chimpanzees.

    All species of pig are smarter than dogs, and capable of abstract representation. “They can hold an icon in their mind, and remember it at a later date,” says Professor Stanley Curtis of Penn State University, who discovered that pigs dominate at video games with joy sticks. Curtis goes on to say, “Pigs are able to focus with an intensity I have never seen in a chimp.”

    Read more at Suite101: The Intelligent Pig: The Smartest Domestic Animal in The World | Suite101.com http://chris-mclaughlin.suite101.com...#ixzz1qMdT33gL
    Like who didn't already know this?
    If pigs are intelligent, why do they let us domesticate them? That in and of itself blows that assertion, for letting humans control you is a sign that you're a dependent ignoramus and intellectually unable to control your own destiny... much like some other humans.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,462
    Quote Originally Posted by An Ancient Pest View Post
    If pigs are intelligent, why do they let us domesticate them? That in and of itself blows that assertion, for letting humans control you is a sign that you're a dependent ignoramus and intellectually unable to control your own destiny... much like some other humans.
    Pretty much like how you allow the democratic party control you.

    FYI
    I moved this out of the lounge but if you would like to read the rules for future reference the lounge is to be kept light hearted.
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 03-27-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by An Ancient Pest View Post
    If pigs are intelligent, why do they let us domesticate them? That in and of itself blows that assertion, for letting humans control you is a sign that you're a dependent ignoramus and intellectually unable to control your own destiny... much like some other humans.
    Read the book The Botany of Desire. While it is about plants and how they may actually manipulate us, it is also applicable to all living organisms, including the lowly trough-slurping, mud-wallowing, grunters that make a fine sausage.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Not The CU's Cooperative House LiberNigglet
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Read the book The Botany of Desire. While it is about plants and how they may actually manipulate us, it is also applicable to all living organisms, including the lowly trough-slurping, mud-wallowing, grunters that make a fine sausage.
    My reading list, frankly, will last me two lifetimes. Before I click the link though, I'll make an assertion and say that even though plants have no discernible intellect, I can't entirely dismiss what you're saying. I'd have to assume natural selection is obviously at play when, for instance, some flowering plants "manipulate" the bees and flies into helping with their pollination through the odors they give... I'm assuming there's much more to it that the book's suggesting, though?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tree rats are watching you
    Posts
    7,053
    who let rat boi back????
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

    We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

    R.I.P. Crockspot
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by An Ancient Pest View Post
    My reading list, frankly, will last me two lifetimes.
    Please. Dr. Seuss didn't pen that many books.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Not The CU's Cooperative House LiberNigglet
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Please. Dr. Seuss didn't pen that many books.
    But a predictable explanation on how we cultivate marijuana, potatoes and tulips to our own liking is going to be worth how many pages and hours now? Finite hours...
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •