Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Before we moved here, I always brought my lunch to work and ate with some friends in the company lunch room and watched the noon news on our little TV there. It saved a lot of time. I was in sales, so I could get more paperwork done, make more sales calls and leave work earlier. All the sales reps were famous for those 3pm Friday sales calls on customers.

One of the guys at the SLPD was my cover in case management checked. They were a good bunch of folks at the station. SR met them when I left the company.

Also I saved a ton of money and many calories. I didn't work too very far from "The Hill" in STL, the home of that delicious, fattening authentic Italian food. We went there on a few special occasions, but not too often.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I bring a bag of democratunderground (dried fruits & nuts) and snack on that.

rm -rf obama*

I get take out food when I'm working. Today it's payday, so I'm probably going to treat myself to some middle eastern food, since my favorite ME place is near the credit union. It's either that or BBQ from Slow's To Go. Those are the more expensive places I go, with $12 lunches. Usually, it's the deli, Blimpies, or chinese food. When I have coworkers who like to go places at lunch time, I like to go to Mexican Village for lunch, the restaurants all have cheap lunch specials. Detroit is a good place to eat cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'm not allowed to bring in anything but 2 bottles of water leaving me 3 choices: Prison food prepared by inmates, eating junk out of vending machines, or nothing at all for 8 hours(more if I get stuck at work). Since I'm diabetic, option 3 isn't a good one, however, it's usually the on I opt for.
    That blows, no local food joints you can go to?

I can see why they don't allow anyone to bring in things from home with the kids you're watching.

I never really know where i'll be at "Lunch Time" so If i eat lunch at all it's usually at the most convenient spot at the time. The gals at the office don't believe I'm eating right/enough so they frequently ply me with homemade meals and such.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'm not allowed to bring in anything but 2 bottles of water leaving me 3 choices: Prison food prepared by inmates, eating junk out of vending machines, or nothing at all for 8 hours(more if I get stuck at work). Since I'm diabetic, option 3 isn't a good one, however, it's usually the on I opt for.

That's a bummer. At least the prison in Detroit has a good pizza place nearby.

Do the other COs also bring lunches in? You guys could do potluck once in a while-that's what the firemen that were my dad's friends did, since they were stuck in the firehouse on their shifts. We used to do potluck here at least monthly, but not since all the older people retired. The young ones don't know how to cook. If we did one now, there's be my spinach pie, Gail's homemade rolls and a whole lot of crap from the deli counter at Meijer.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If we did one now, there's be my spinach pie, .
    How do you make your spinach pie? I make the Greek version, Spanokopita with phillo dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    How do you make your spinach pie? I make the Greek version, Spanokopita with phillo dough.

Same thing. I use frozen and defrosted phyllo dough. I also use frozen (2 10 oz packages) spinach that has been defrosted and all the water squeezed out. 3 kinds of cheese-mozzarella (8 oz package), feta, and a couple of spoons of ricotta to even it out. One yellow onion and one bunch of green onions. 6 eggs and a half to 3 quarters cup of fresh, chopped dill. A lot of people use a half cup of dill and a half cup of mint, but I don't like mint with meat or cheese. I cook the spinach and onion in a little bit of butter, then mix it with the other filling ingredients, adding the dill last.

But most importantly, I use 3 sticks of butter brushed on the phyllo.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Same thing. I use frozen and defrosted phyllo dough. I also use frozen (2 10 oz packages) spinach that has been defrosted and all the water squeezed out. 3 kinds of cheese-mozzarella (8 oz package), feta, and a couple of spoons of ricotta to even it out. One yellow onion and one bunch of green onions. 6 eggs and a half to 3 quarters cup of fresh, chopped dill. A lot of people use a half cup of dill and a half cup of mint, but I don't like mint with meat or cheese. I cook the spinach and onion in a little bit of butter, then mix it with the other filling ingredients, adding the dill last.

But most importantly, I use 3 sticks of butter brushed on the phyllo.
    That's my recipe, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I work from home, so my kitchen is my lunchbox.
    According to how you define "work", me too. Usually we cook lunch and then warm leftovers for supper.

Today, pan-grilled steak, mac & cheese and mixed vegetables (NO broccoli!). Tonight BLT's before the tomatoes go bad.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.