Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Pirate View Post
    This happened up here. It's a horrible story and I feel awful for this woman who lost her child. This happened within a week or two of a police officer who left his gun (loaded) in his van as his kids played and his son shot his sister. Killing her.

No charges will be filed against this cop who left a loaded weapon (his personal gun) in an unlocked glove box and this woman is being charged with manslaughter. Why?

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Chil...142211265.html
    Responsibility.

If you're going to carry a gun, you have to be responsible for it. The woman kept a loaded gun within the reach of a 3 y/o child...what could possibly go wrong?

Poor kid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Responsibility.

If you're going to carry a gun, you have to be responsible for it. The woman kept a loaded gun within the reach of a 3 y/o child...what could possibly go wrong?

Poor kid.
    Exactly, so this officer should be charged as well. He wont be according to a news article I cant find at the moment. It seems hypocritical that he would get a pass while she is being charged.

Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I still think, for my purposes, which is not to carry, but for home defense, would be a shot gun. It would be difficult for a child to use because of size. I can easily load one, it has great stopping power, it's just point and shoot..and there is nothing like the sound of racking your shotgun slide back to a potential intruder.
    The drawback is that's it's not easy to hide and recoil is strong.

I'm just not comfortable with handguns.

BTW...my father has a few double barrel shotguns, 12 gauge, old skool style that I like, that I would most likely inherit. He also has two rifles, but I've never shot those. He's willing to give me one of the shotguns if I ever decide to have one.
    Double-barreled shotguns tend to be hard to maneuver in tight spaces, which makes them less than ideal for home defense. You also only get two shots. You're better off with a tactical shotgun, possibly one with a pistol grip in lieu of a stock, if you can handle the recoil.

Mossberg 500 SP: $310-$340 from a dealer

The Mossberg 500 is the top selling pump action shotgun in the USA. It is available in many different barrel lengths and stock configurations. Shown is the Mossberg 500 pistol grip model. Pistol grip shotguns may look cool, but are only fun for a little while. You will be glad you went with the rifle butt stock instead. Aftermarket accessories galore! There is also a 510 Mini version great for smaller shooters in .410 or 20 gauge. The 510 Mini has a 18.5 inch barrel and weighs only 5 pounds!
    Mossberg Website

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Pirate View Post
    Exactly, so this officer should be charged as well. He wont be according to a news article I cant find at the moment. It seems hypocritical that he would get a pass while she is being charged.
    The two cases certainly look similar enough.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Double-barreled shotguns tend to be hard to maneuver in tight spaces, which makes them less than ideal for home defense. Y.
    True, the barrel is pretty long...I'll look into your suggestion, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I was firing them at 10 and went out hunting by myself at 12. You start teaching them to respect guns early under supervision and you don't have 8 year olds killing themselves.
    I was firing at 8 and hunting with others at 10. That was in Maine. Lots a deer, moose and bear. And plenty of snakes. We had our own slaughter shed. Closest neighbors within miles were relatives. I luv shooting if for no other reason than to compare weapons and to "get the feel".

I think its best to start early to familiarize too. But I would never leave a handgun around loaded. And never show it/them off. And I wouldnt leave kids that young alone either. I agree that just because somebody can have children, doesnt mean they should have children. This is how we breed common sense right out of the gene pool.

Reminds me of voting. Too dang many idiots just dont have a clue (raised by parents who shouldnt be parents). We are engineering common sense out of the voting process. This is how we get clueless "leaders" and thus lose our liberties and our constitutional republic as it were.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.