Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 3-Year-Old Accidentally Shot Himself With Found Gun, Mom Faces Manslaughter Charges 
    Julio had unbuckled himself and climbed into the front seat to ask his mother for candy. McIntosh moved the gun from under the passenger seat to under the driver's seat so Julio could not reach it. Then, she went inside the convenience store for food, leaving Julio unrestrained, the prosecutor said.

Julio found the gun and shot himself in the head. McIntosh's 8-month old daughter was in the car at the time and was not hurt.

Friends and family told detectives that Vita routinely showed off the gun with a laser sight and on one occasion offered to let Julio hold the gun before another adult intervened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D147460

This can happen when stupid people buy guns. Like voting, there should be an IQ test given before selling someone a gun. RIP little boy. The mother SHOULD be charged..this was not a freak accident imo.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I've let my kids hold my gun with no issues, this woman was stupid and negligent for leaving her young kids in the car unsupervised at that age. My oldest is 8 and I wont leave him in the car by himself.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I've let my kids hold my gun with no issues,
    Why would you let a young kid hold a gun? for what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I was firing them at 10 and went out hunting by myself at 12. You start teaching them to respect guns early under supervision and you don't have 8 year olds killing themselves.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

one it was unloaded, clips weren't loaded either and in the case. two, to teach them from a young age that guns are a tool and not a toy. letting them hold it and feel what it is like in a controlled setting lets them explore and get their curiosity out in a safe setting. That way if they do see it later, they know how to deal with it properly and understand that it is NOT something to play with.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I was firing them at 10 and went out hunting by myself at 12. You start teaching them to respect guns early under supervision and you don't have 8 year olds killing themselves.
    I fired my father's shotgun at 12, but Fettpett stated his oldest was 8, so how young are his kids? I don't see the point in showing first graders handguns. If you're going to keep guns in your house, and it is your right to do so, keep them under lock and key and a child shouldn't have access to one, because chances are, they would harm themselves before harming an intruder.

I know how to shoot shot guns by the way, not hand guns. Since I live alone, with my almost 3 year old daughter, I've thought about getting one...but I'm too worried about my curious toddler finding it in the house. My dad is willing to give me one of his shot guns but I still don't feel comfortable with a gun in my house, around my kid. Never mind showing it to her or handling it.

I fired my father's shotgun at 12, but Fettpett stated his oldest was 8, so how young are his kids? I don't see the point in showing first graders handguns. If you're going to keep guns in your house, and it is your right to do so, keep them under lock and key and a child shouldn't have access to one, because chances are, they would harm themselves before harming an intruder.
    If you ever had a handgun fired in front of you when you are young you realize the awesome power of it, if you just tell them no there is always the chance they will find one when you aren't around and decide they want to know the mystery, at a friends house even laying on the ground, it can happen. Kids need a demonstration when they are young.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

8,7, and 4, all three have have held it and I have had a discussion with them about it. Putting a gun under lock and key that is meant for home defense is illogical and defeats the purpose of the gun. There are safes that are biometric that are easy access and relatively inexpensive if you feel thats how you need to handle it.

Think about it this way, if you're exposed to something on a regular basis, and are dealt with it on a intelligent and clam way the kids are less likely to be curious enough about it to go looking for it and play with it. If someone comes down on them hard and makes it forbidden then they are more likely to go looking for it.

it's a tool, dangerous and designed to kill, but no less a tool. Education on gun safety is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Ten is a long way from three, which is how old this kid was.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    8,7, and 4, all three have have held it and I have had a discussion with them about it. Putting a gun under lock and key that is meant for home defense is illogical and defeats the purpose of the gun. There are safes that are biometric that are easy access and relatively inexpensive if you feel thats how you need to handle it.

Think about it this way, if you're exposed to something on a regular basis, and are dealt with it on a intelligent and clam way the kids are less likely to be curious enough about it to go looking for it and play with it. If someone comes down on them hard and makes it forbidden then they are more likely to go looking for it.

it's a tool, dangerous and designed to kill, but no less a tool. Education on gun safety is key.
    I'd be a little twitchy about how well it would "take" at four years old, but each kid is different. I wholeheartedly agree with you that gun education, early and often, is the key. But I'm not going to leave my loaded gun unattended in a car (or anywhere else) within easy reach of any three-year-old, that's for sure. These dingbats clearly were just careless morons who themselves didn't know what the gun was capable of.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.