Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Supreme Court: Conservatismís Intellectual Crown Jewel 

The Supreme Court: Conservatism’s Intellectual Crown Jewel

Listening to the oral arguments on the Supreme Court during the last three days is a reminder of why it is, in many respects, the intellectual crown jewel for conservatives, and why it’s vital that those appointed to the high court aren’t simply reliable votes but are capable of making compelling arguments.

To hear Justices Scalia, Alito, Roberts, and even Kennedy slice and dice Solicitor General Donald Verrilli was sheer delight, as they exposed one bad argument and one flawed premise after another. Among other things, they pressed Verrilli on what the limiting principle was under the Commerce Clause. “Can you create commerce in order to regulate it?” Justice Kennedy asked. Justice Alito brought up the market for burial services and asked if the government could mandate funeral insurance (the argument being that because we all die eventually, why shouldn’nt we transfer the costs of our deaths to the rest of society). When Justice Scalia asked Verrilli to defend the individual mandate provision of ObamaCare, he wondered why the federal government couldn’t also make citizens buy vegetables. “Could you define the market — everybody has to buy food sooner or later, so you define the market as food, therefore, everybody is in the market; therefore, you can make people buy broccoli,” Scalia asked. Justice Roberts asked if the federal government can make you buy a cell phone.

The solicitor general wasn’t able to offer a principled reason why, if the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is ruled as constitutional, the federal government won’t have the power to regulate virtually every area of our lives. Perhaps because there is none. The belief of the founders — that the federal government has limited and enumerated powers — would be dealt a crushing blow. That is why this case is so important and has garnered so much intense interest. The stakes could hardly be higher.

I have no idea what the final vote will be and whether or not the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will live or die. But the last three days have provided us with a blessed reprieve from the silliness that often characterizes political campaigns. What we’ve been able to witness is a serious, substantive, and at times even an elevated debate about the Constitution, self-government, and American first principles. Conservatives had their most able advocates articulating their case and their cause. It was an intellectual treat. And it was a rout.

Commentary Magazine

Last edited by Janice; 03-29-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

It should also be noted that Paul Clement, the attorney who represented the states on the question of their mandate was also brilliant. He exposed the weaknesses of several of the liberal justices (Kagan in particular).

Obamacare suffers a severability trainwreck at the Supreme Court

If yesterday was a surprise to the liberal defenders of Obamacare, today must have been a shocker. Judging from todayís oral argument, five Supreme Court justices seem fully prepared to strike down the entire statute if the individual mandate fails. In this regard, the justices seem to have largely accepted the argument that I outlined this morning: Without the individual mandate to, in essence, herd customers to insurance companies and provide financial support for the other provisions of the law, the goal of universal access would be thwarted.

Paul Clement, representing those challenging the law, started out strong, making the case to Justice Sonia Sotomayor that, if something is to be pieced together in the wake of the failure of the individual mandate, Congress should tackle that job. ďThe question is, really, what task do you want to give Congress,Ē said Clement. ďDo you want to give Congress the task of fixing the statute after something has been taken out, especially a provision at the heart, or do you want to give Congress the task of fixing health care?Ē

That argument was especially persuasive with Justice Anthony Kennedy. This exchange between Kennedy and Edwin Kneedler, the associate solicitor general, >>> MORE >>>

WashingtonCompost

-------------------------------------------------

Sending up sincere prayers for our Constitutionally minded Justices and Paul Clement as Im sure millions of others are doing too.

Judges, even at that level, simply cannot be automatons. The must have passion for and dedication to the job they are doing. And, maybe most of all, pride.

During Obama's 2010 State of The Union, he called out the Supreme Court and criticized them for what he termed a mistake:
    “Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests -- including foreign companies -- to spend without limit in our elections,” Obama said tonight. “Well, I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, and worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that’s why I’m urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong.”

Chief Justice Roberts put it this way later, "To the extent the State of the Union has degenerated into a political pep rally, I'm not sure why we are there,"

And now Barry wants to push his trash filled legislation on America and must do so by pushing it through the very group he publicly embarrassed.
    Oh, lotsa luck, Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Judges, even at that level, simply cannot be automatons. The must have passion for and dedication to the job they are doing. And, maybe most of all, pride.

During Obama's 2010 State of The Union, he called out the Supreme Court and criticized them for what he termed a mistake:
    ďLast week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests -- including foreign companies -- to spend without limit in our elections,Ē Obama said tonight. ďWell, I donít think American elections should be bankrolled by Americaís most powerful interests, and worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and thatís why Iím urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong.Ē

Chief Justice Roberts put it this way later, "To the extent the State of the Union has degenerated into a political pep rally, I'm not sure why we are there,"

And now Barry wants to push his trash filled legislation on America and must do so by pushing it through the very group he publicly embarrassed.
    Oh, lotsa luck, Barry.
    If this President is classless enough to diss the Justices during the SOTU address after the Citizens United ruling...can you imagine what he'll say and how he'll act after they strike his individual mandate down and essentially put an end to the idea of Obamacare?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I still worry. We can fix a POS like 0bama.

But what about the sheeple that voted him in?

And most of them would re-elect him ... including a few on this board.

Very, very troubling indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I still worry. We can fix a POS like 0bama.

But what about the sheeple that voted him in?

And most of them would re-elect him ... including a few on this board.

Very, very troubling indeed.
    Not by voting him in directly but there have been some who refuse to vote for Romney so in a sense, that is a vote cast for Obama.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Pretty good news. It would be grand if we can pull the plug on Obamacare before it even takes a breath.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    If this President is classless enough to diss the Justices during the SOTU address after the Citizens United ruling...can you imagine what he'll say and how he'll act after they strike his individual mandate down and essentially put an end to the idea of Obamacare?
    Know what? After considering this and a few comments I have heard on this board, I just got a view of what a non-Obama White House would look like.

Obama will become the uber-advocate for minorities and those who, like him, are filled with noblesse oblige. His belief that he was born to lead all those inferior to him - and that's everyone - will never go away. He will become Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on steroids and the press will simply not be able to get enough of him. He will get at least as much press time as the new sitting President and challenge his successor at every turn.

Then the worst happens................

He runs again in 2016

This is bad.

Fabulous Poster
    Single Payer is inevitable. This is simply part of the process. The Single Payer supporters should be delighted to watch the Republicans do this.