Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Israelís Secret Staging Ground 
    Israelís Secret Staging Ground

U.S. officials believe that the Israelis have gained access to airbases in Azerbaijan. Does this bring them one step closer to a war with Iran?

In 2009, the deputy chief of mission of the U.S. embassy in Baku, Donald Lu, sent a cable to the State Department's headquarters in Foggy Bottom titled "Azerbaijan's discreet symbiosis with Israel." The memo, later released by WikiLeaks, quotes Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev as describing his country's relationship with the Jewish state as an iceberg: "nine-tenths of it is below the surface."

Why does it matter? Because Azerbaijan is strategically located on Iran's northern border and, according to several high-level sources I've spoken with inside the U.S. government, Obama administration officials now believe that the "submerged" aspect of the Israeli-Azerbaijani alliance -- the security cooperation between the two countries -- is heightening the risks of an Israeli strike on Iran.

In particular, four senior diplomats and military intelligence officers say that the United States has concluded that Israel has recently been granted access to airbases on Iran's northern border. To do what, exactly, is not clear. "The Israelis have bought an airfield," a senior administration official told me in early February, "and the airfield is called Azerbaijan."

Senior U.S. intelligence officials are increasingly concerned that Israel's military expansion into Azerbaijan complicates U.S. efforts to dampen Israeli-Iranian tensions, according to the sources. Military planners, I was told, must now plan not only for a war scenario that includes the Persian Gulf -- but one that could include the Caucasus. The burgeoning Israel-Azerbaijan relationship has also become a flashpoint in both countries' relationship with Turkey, a regional heavyweight that fears the economic and political fallout of a war with Iran. Turkey's most senior government officials have raised their concerns with their U.S. counterparts, as well as with the Azeris, the sources said.

The Israeli embassy in Washington, the Israel Defense Forces, and the Mossad, Israel's national intelligence agency, were all contacted for comment on this story but did not respond.

You have to hate it when a comb over gets away!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

The Obama admin has pissed off both Iran & Israel. I think the US has pretty much lost any persuasive influence, outside of Checkbook diplomacy in the Iran/Israel situation. It'll take some other country to talk them down. Strange as it may seem I think Turkey may play a hand in any agreement or understanding made.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Wait! Let me get some popcorn. I want to see this. My money is on Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Does this bring them one step closer to a war with Iran?
    I hope not.

I wouldn't want to be living in Israel right now so I understand their plight but as soon as the first bomb hits Iran soil we'll have $12 gas and no chance for an economic recovery anytime soon.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    The Obama admin has pissed off both Iran & Israel. I think the US has pretty much lost any persuasive influence, outside of Checkbook diplomacy in the Iran/Israel situation. It'll take some other country to talk them down. Strange as it may seem I think Turkey may play a hand in any agreement or understanding made.
    Quite true, though Turkey remains kind of a wild card with an unpredictable flux going on between it's Europe-looking side and its Islamist-looking side. I do wonder if the Israelis will see a need for some sort of payback to rap our knuckles for interfering in this matter, I think it's unlikely they would do that if Obama loses but they might well feel a compelled to do it if we choose four more years of Idiocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I hope not.

I wouldn't want to be living in Israel right now so I understand their plight but as soon as the first bomb hits Iran soil we'll have $12 gas and no chance for an economic recovery anytime soon.
    Which is why it irritates me that pundits and others keep talking about tapping the Strategic Reserve over 3.89 a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Which is why it irritates me that pundits and others keep talking about tapping the Strategic Reserve over 3.89 a gallon.
    And here I was worrying about the impending deaths of millions of people in the Middle East. Glad to see that you have your priorities straight.

Leaking this information serves to undermine Israel's mission to take out Iran's nukes. It provide early warning to Iran, which has repeatedly declared that it is at war with the United States. If this came out of the State Department, as Ambassador Bolton believes that it did, then the leaker needs to be in the cell next to Bradley Manning.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    And here I was worrying about the impending deaths of millions of people in the Middle East. Glad to see that you have your priorities straight.

Leaking this information serves to undermine Israel's mission to take out Iran's nukes. It provide early warning to Iran, which has repeatedly declared that it is at war with the United States. If this came out of the State Department, as Ambassador Bolton believes that it did, then the leaker needs to be in the cell next to Bradley Manning.
    Wouldn't it also serve to give Obama's buddy Vladimir a heads up to exert some pressure on a former part of the USSR to get back in line?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.