Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 3-30-12: This day in history 
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,409
    1981: Reagan was shot at the Washington Hilton.

    1842: The first operation was performed using ether as an anesthetic.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,116
    Mar 30, 1974:
    John Denver has his first #1 hit with "Sunshine On My Shoulders"
    Of his many enormous hits in the 1970s, none captured the essence of John Denver better than his first #1 song, "Sunshine On My Shoulders," which reached the top of the pop charts on this day in 1974.

    "Sunshine On My Shoulders" was John Denver's attempt to write a sad song, which is really all one needs to know in order to understand what made Denver so appealing to so many. "I was so down I wanted to write a feeling-blue song," he told Seventeen magazine in 1974, "[but] this is what came out." Originally released on his 1971 album Poems, Prayers and Promises, Denver's lovely ode to the restorative powers of sunlight only became a smash hit when re-released on his John Denver's Greatest Hits album in late 1973—an album that went on to sell more than 10 million copies worldwide.

    It should come as no surprise that an artist who played such an enormous role in the softening of mainstream pop music in the 1970s would find little support from rock critics. "Television music" marked by "repellent narcissism" was Rolling Stone's take on Denver. "I find that sunshine makes me happy, too," wrote Robert Christgau of The Village Voice, "[but] there's more originality and spirit in Engelbert Humperdink."

    Such critical response did little to dampen public enthusiasm for Denver's records during his heyday, however. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, John Denver has sold 32.5 million records—4.5 million more than Michael Bolton, and only 4.5 million fewer than Bob Dylan.

    Born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. on December 31, 1943, in Roswell, New Mexico, John Denver died in California on October 12, 1997, when his ultra-light aircraft crashed into Monterey Bay.
    Of his many enormous hits in the 1970s, none captured the essence of John Denver better than his first #1 song, "Sunshine On My Shoulders," which reached the top of the pop charts on this day in 1974.

    "Sunshine On My Shoulders" was John Denver's attempt to write a sad song, which is really all one needs to know in order to understand what made Denver so appealing to so many. "I was so down I wanted to write a feeling-blue song," he told Seventeen magazine in 1974, "[but] this is what came out." Originally released on his 1971 album Poems, Prayers and Promises, Denver's lovely ode to the restorative powers of sunlight only became a smash hit when re-released on his John Denver's Greatest Hits album in late 1973—an album that went on to sell more than 10 million copies worldwide.

    It should come as no surprise that an artist who played such an enormous role in the softening of mainstream pop music in the 1970s would find little support from rock critics. "Television music" marked by "repellent narcissism" was Rolling Stone's take on Denver. "I find that sunshine makes me happy, too," wrote Robert Christgau of The Village Voice, "[but] there's more originality and spirit in Engelbert Humperdink."

    Such critical response did little to dampen public enthusiasm for Denver's records during his heyday, however. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, John Denver has sold 32.5 million records—4.5 million more than Michael Bolton, and only 4.5 million fewer than Bob Dylan.

    Born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. on December 31, 1943, in Roswell, New Mexico, John Denver died in California on October 12, 1997, when his ultra-light aircraft crashed into Monterey Bay.
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...-shouldersquot
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,116
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The first operation was performed using ether as an anesthetic.
    Before that when a doctor said you needed surgery it could ruin your whole day!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Before that when a doctor said you needed surgery it could ruin your whole day!
    One of the most horrifying chapters I've ever read in history was in David McCullough's "John Adams", where he describes his daughter's mastectomy operation. The only thing they could do for her was to get her drunk on brandy.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,116
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    One of the most horrifying chapters I've ever read in history was in David McCullough's "John Adams", where he describes his daughter's mastectomy operation. The only thing they could do for her was to get her drunk on brandy.
    It really is unimaginable, I suppose they used some Laudanum too but maybe not.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It really is unimaginable, I suppose they used some Laudanum too but maybe not.
    I don't remember now and have no desire to go back and reread it to find out.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Mar 30, 1974:
    John Denver has his first #1 hit with "Sunshine On My Shoulders"
    Of his many enormous hits in the 1970s, none captured the essence of John Denver better than his first #1 song, "Sunshine On My Shoulders," which reached the top of the pop charts on this day in 1974.

    "Sunshine On My Shoulders" was John Denver's attempt to write a sad song, which is really all one needs to know in order to understand what made Denver so appealing to so many. "I was so down I wanted to write a feeling-blue song," he told Seventeen magazine in 1974, "[but] this is what came out." Originally released on his 1971 album Poems, Prayers and Promises, Denver's lovely ode to the restorative powers of sunlight only became a smash hit when re-released on his John Denver's Greatest Hits album in late 1973—an album that went on to sell more than 10 million copies worldwide.

    It should come as no surprise that an artist who played such an enormous role in the softening of mainstream pop music in the 1970s would find little support from rock critics. "Television music" marked by "repellent narcissism" was Rolling Stone's take on Denver. "I find that sunshine makes me happy, too," wrote Robert Christgau of The Village Voice, "[but] there's more originality and spirit in Engelbert Humperdink."

    Such critical response did little to dampen public enthusiasm for Denver's records during his heyday, however. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, John Denver has sold 32.5 million records—4.5 million more than Michael Bolton, and only 4.5 million fewer than Bob Dylan.

    Born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. on December 31, 1943, in Roswell, New Mexico, John Denver died in California on October 12, 1997, when his ultra-light aircraft crashed into Monterey Bay.
    Of his many enormous hits in the 1970s, none captured the essence of John Denver better than his first #1 song, "Sunshine On My Shoulders," which reached the top of the pop charts on this day in 1974.

    "Sunshine On My Shoulders" was John Denver's attempt to write a sad song, which is really all one needs to know in order to understand what made Denver so appealing to so many. "I was so down I wanted to write a feeling-blue song," he told Seventeen magazine in 1974, "[but] this is what came out." Originally released on his 1971 album Poems, Prayers and Promises, Denver's lovely ode to the restorative powers of sunlight only became a smash hit when re-released on his John Denver's Greatest Hits album in late 1973—an album that went on to sell more than 10 million copies worldwide.

    It should come as no surprise that an artist who played such an enormous role in the softening of mainstream pop music in the 1970s would find little support from rock critics. "Television music" marked by "repellent narcissism" was Rolling Stone's take on Denver. "I find that sunshine makes me happy, too," wrote Robert Christgau of The Village Voice, "[but] there's more originality and spirit in Engelbert Humperdink."

    Such critical response did little to dampen public enthusiasm for Denver's records during his heyday, however. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, John Denver has sold 32.5 million records—4.5 million more than Michael Bolton, and only 4.5 million fewer than Bob Dylan.

    Born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. on December 31, 1943, in Roswell, New Mexico, John Denver died in California on October 12, 1997, when his ultra-light aircraft crashed into Monterey Bay.
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...-shouldersquot

    Rock critics hate nice songs, unless they are sung by the Beatles. I like John Denver's music, it always reminds me of my trip to Young Life camp in Colorado.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,116
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Rock critics hate nice songs, unless they are sung by the Beatles. I like John Denver's music, it always reminds me of my trip to Young Life camp in Colorado.
    I grew up working fields milking cows and listening to John Denver, Americas favorite folk music.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,089
    Denver gave new meaning to rocky mtn hi.....
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,487
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Rock critics hate nice songs, unless they are sung by the Beatles. I like John Denver's music, it always reminds me of my trip to Young Life camp in Colorado.
    It brings back bittersweet memories. I used to play the old tape when driving to Utah with the greyhounds. I'd always start playing it when approaching the mountains, after driving through Kansas and eastern Colorado. My greyhound, Jessie, seemed to be soothed with Denver's music.

    When he had bone cancer and it was nearing the end, I'd play the music for him. For some reason it quieted him. I used to hate Denver's music and thought it was sappy, but now he's still one of my favorites.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •