Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1 Trayvon Martin case: 'Blacks are under attack,' says Jesse Jackson 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,286
    By Rene Lynch

    March 23, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

    Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson said Friday that he's grateful the rest of the country has sat up and taken notice of the tragic slaying of Trayvon Martin. But he can't help but wonder: Why has it taken so long for everyone else to recognize the chronic injustices that African Americans face?

    "We're surprised that everyone else is surprised," Jackson told the Los Angeles Times. African Americans have tried for decades to get the rest of America to understand their plight, he said, particularly their beliefs that justice is still elusive in many parts of America, especially the Deep South.

    Then along comes the Trayvon Martin case, and facts that are not in contention: Volunteer neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman pursued and then gunned down the unarmed 17-year-old last month, and never faced arrest because police said there was no evidence to contradict his claim that he fired in self-defense.

    "I hope that this will be a transformative moment," Jackson said.

    Jackson was speaking Friday morning from the Chicago offices of his Rainbow PUSH Coalition. He had just returned from duties in Belgium and Switzerland. He was in Geneva on Wednesday as part of a delegation of religious leaders trying to find a way to end the violence in Syria. Jackson was preparing to get back on a plane for a flight south so he can add his voice to the growing protests in and around Sanford, Fla., where Martin's shooting took place.

    Jackson said the Martin case is getting plenty of media attention overseas, attention that is both embarrassing to white America and humiliating to black America.

    Moreover, he said, the failure to make an arrest in the case takes away the nation's "moral authority" to address injustices in other countries when it fails to do the same within its own borders.

    Jackson predicted that the protests will continue to multiply in number and that the ranks of protestors will swell until Zimmerman is arrested.

    "As long as he is outside of the court system, the protests will intensify and spill over into other dimensions," Jackson said. "His lack of appearance in the court system is a source of embarrassment and humiliation. He needs to face the court."

    Jackson said that there is a mistaken assumption in some corners of America that all racial problems went away with the election of President Obama. "There was this feeling that we were kind of beyond racism," he said. "That's not true. His victory has triggered tremendous backlash."

    He added: "Blacks are under attack." African American families are facing record home foreclosures and unemployment. Their children are burdened with student loan debt. States, particularly conservative ones, are passing voter laws that leaders know will disenfranchise blacks and other minorities. Meanwhile, the nation's prisons are brimming with black faces, he said, and their numbers that suggest that the legal system is quicker to send blacks to prison than whites.

    Jackson said gunfire in America continues to be a problem for all Americans -- not just blacks. Why, he asked, isn't America outraged, that far more people die of gun violence in one year in America than the number of soldiers killed in the wars waged in Iraq and Afghanistan?

    "Our disparities are great," he said. "Targeting, arresting, convicting blacks and ultimately killing us is big business."

    Jackson said he also wants to see the Martin protests accomplish something else beyond justice for the slain teen's family. He said he wants the repeal of Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law, which gives legal protection to people who fight back in self-defense. Some believe that the Florida police were nodding to that law when they declined to arrest Zimmerman after the Feb. 26 shooting.

    Many other states have similar statutes, Jackson said, and he wants them all repealed, starting with Florida's.

    "No justice, no peace," he said. "The indifference to this kind of pain is just going to intensify the protests."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,2131299.story

    Inciting a race war is not the most intelligent thing to do when you are wanting to reelect a black president that is already growing in his unpopularity.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Member wwworkingguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Way down South
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,2131299.story

    Inciting a race war is not the most intelligent thing to do when you are wanting to reelect a black president that is already growing in his unpopularity.
    Well that is a stretch .... to expect intelligence from Jesse Jackson.
    Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are just part of the well entrenched "race industry."
    They are both despicable characters.
    I have at least 1 black friend who has told me that they cannot stomach either one of those guys.
    But the masses of blacks are easily manipulated by them and are also veritable slaves on the Democratic plantation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,157
    Mr. Jackson(I refuse to call him Reverend because there is nothing reverend about him),

    A young white student in Kansas City was set on fire by 2 older black students who told him that "you deserve this white boy". Does this mean that white people are under attack? Also, do you condone this behavior? And thirdly, there are far more blacks shot by other blacks in this country, why haven't you spoken out about that? I await your answers with baited breath.

    Sincerely,

    someone who is wasting his time holding his breath
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Mr. Jackson(I refuse to call him Reverend because there is nothing reverend about him),

    A young white student in Kansas City was set on fire by 2 older black students who told him that "you deserve this white boy". Does this mean that white people are under attack? Also, do you condone this behavior? And thirdly, there are far more blacks shot by other blacks in this country, why haven't you spoken out about that? I await your answers with baited breath.

    Sincerely,

    someone who is wasting his time holding his breath


    On top of his bullshit the shooter wasnt even WHITE, for crying out loud. I really think if racism went away tomorrow Mr Jackson and all the race baiters would be really upset.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    On top of his bullshit the shooter wasnt even WHITE, for crying out loud. I really think if racism went away tomorrow Mr Jackson and all the race baiters would be really upset.
    Just like Obama is black by convenience, Zimmerman is white by convenience.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Just like Obama is black by convenience, Zimmerman is white by convenience.
    This is true. Imagine if all this hadn't have gone down, but rather Zimmerman was assaulted and killed by a white man, he (Zimmerman) would have then been a "person of color".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Just like Obama is black by convenience, Zimmerman is white by convenience.
    For 400 years white people have defined who is white and who isn't. The rules sounded scientific, 1/16th, 1/8th, or as much as 1/4 black and one could be considered white. Mulattoes have never been considered white. Now, people decide for themselves who is and isn't white.

    The department of corrections database shows that there are 3885 persons in Florida prison who identify as "hispanic" as a race; they range in appearance from Ricky Ricardo to Harry Belafonte.

    Much more interesting are those persons who identify themselves as "white" in the DOC database. Many of these people are not what most white people would consider white. They would be perhaps "Brazilian white". The color line in Brazil is fine, but most Americans would probably consider a lot of the "white" Brazilians to be "other" at least or "black" for simplicity.

    Biracial people can identify as whatever race they have to choose from. If Obama identifies as black, it's not to be mocked it's to be respected. Just as we might respect someone from New Jersey identifying as "white" when a purist would call him "muddy".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    For 400 years white people have defined who is white and who isn't. The rules sounded scientific, 1/16th, 1/8th, or as much as 1/4 black and one could be considered white. Mulattoes have never been considered white. Now, people decide for themselves who is and isn't white.

    The department of corrections database shows that there are 3885 persons in Florida prison who identify as "hispanic" as a race; they range in appearance from Ricky Ricardo to Harry Belafonte.

    Much more interesting are those persons who identify themselves as "white" in the DOC database. Many of these people are not what most white people would consider white. They would be perhaps "Brazilian white". The color line in Brazil is fine, but most Americans would probably consider a lot of the "white" Brazilians to be "other" at least or "black" for simplicity.

    Biracial people can identify as whatever race they have to choose from. If Obama identifies as black, it's not to be mocked it's to be respected. Just as we might respect someone from New Jersey identifying as "white" when a purist would call him "muddy".
    Deflecting away and still using little immature barbs again there princess? You're an asshole. This much we all know but you're also disingenuous. Obama is black by convenience. How so you ask? Because he was born to a white mother who raised him until her death when he was raised by his white grandparents all the while his black father had little to do with him. Then he gets into the political arena and all of a sudden his grandmother, who raised him, becomes a "typical white person". Believe me, if Obama could use his white side for political gain, he'd be filling his iPod with Pat Boone and Steve & Edie faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

    Oh, and as for your little immature last line, I'll be sure to pass that along to Bruce Springsteen. Now grow up.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 03-24-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,015
    this the same Jackson who said he wanted to cut Obozo's nuts off for talking down to black folks???
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,002
    What the Hell Did Jesse Jackson Say? LA's Longest Running Radio Gameshow!


    Tim Conway Junior
    KFI AM 640
    Thursday Nights, 8pm
    This Episode: 3/22/11
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •