1. #1 Do not ever make the mistake of thinking that the Republicans are anything but... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The Party of Peace & Luv shows its true feelings...

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
    TheWraith

Do not ever make the mistake of thinking that the Republicans are anything but the enemy.

I've seen a bunch of posts here tonight basically cheering on the Republican-led effort to try and destroy the Affordable Care Act, on the belief that that would somehow pave the way for passing a single-payer plan, on the grounds that based on one poll two thirds of the public supports it, and therefore it means that Republicans would be forced to vote for it. This belief is so wrong that it's hard to explain it without comparisons to the tooth fairy, but that's not the point of this. The point is, it is a mistake to ever think that the Republicans are there to serve the public, or to react to public opinion, or that they can be "forced" to do anything by virtue of it being either right or popular.

Public opinion has NEVER influenced what the Republicans do. Ever. How many Americans want bipartisan work on the economy? How many Americans want extended unemployment benefits? Take a look at the 2010 "lame duck" session: even though the votes were there for many of President Obama's goals, the handful of Republicans who later crossed over refused before the election to vote for THINGS THEY SUPPORTED specifically in order to campaign AGAINST them, because by campaigning against them they can hurt Obama and the Democrats.

The Republicans specialize in doing exactly what the public DOESN'T want, and then trying to blame it on someone else. If the Affordable Care Act is destroyed, that event will be exploited by the Republicans as a set piece to push the line that government can't handle healthcare, and as an excuse to promote the elimination of Medicare and Medicaid. If you believe something else, I have to ask what rock you've been living under the past three years. The Republicans are not bound by public opinion, and never will be as long as they can get away with gaming the system. The only means to push back on that is to expose them as obstructionist, and to work our asses off district by district to replace them with Democrats.

So do as we want or die. Now he didn't directly say that but when you read the thread you know damn well that's what they really want. And these idiots broad brush us as extreme??? Spare me...
    May the FORCE be with you!

And these idiots broad brush us as extreme??? Spare me...
    I wouldn't presume to speak for everyone, but...

Do not ever make the mistake of thinking that the Republicans are anything but the enemy.
    in his defense, at least in my case, he's right.