Thread: The lorax

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's a cautionary book about the destruction of the environment. Not sure how you can make that without some criticism of the destroyers. I suppose you could do it by laying all at the feet of the consumer (which the book does to some extent .... you need a market for your ex-trees).

It just makes me think of Easter Island without the big fucking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    It's a cautionary book about the destruction of the environment. Not sure how you can make that without some criticism of the destroyers. I suppose you could do it by laying all at the feet of the consumer (which the book does to some extent .... you need a market for your ex-trees).

It just makes me think of Easter Island without the big fucking heads.
    The problem is that the book creates a straw man, a rapacious machine that indiscriminately destroys nature for profit, but given Dr. Seuss' political leanings, that's not surprising.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The problem is that the book creates a straw man, a rapacious machine that indiscriminately destroys nature for profit, but given Dr. Seuss' political leanings, that's not surprising.
    The book was written in 1971. Not sure it was a straw man back then when you consider the Cuyahoga River caught fire (as one example ... I can get others if you like) just two years earlier.

The book was written in 1971. Not sure it was a straw man back then when you consider the Cuyahoga River caught fire (as one example ... I can get others if you like) just two years earlier.
    It was always a straw man. Economics is about costs and benefits. When the Cuyahoga River caught fire, the environmental cost was made obvious and the response of the people of Ohio was to seek another outlet for chemical waste. The left presumes that capitalism will destroy the environment, but only free societies with stringent property rights ever actually protect the environment.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

It was always a straw man. Economics is about costs and benefits. When the Cuyahoga River caught fire, the environmental cost was made obvious and the response of the people of Ohio was to seek another outlet for chemical waste. The left presumes that capitalism will destroy the environment, but only free societies with stringent property rights ever actually protect the environment.
    That is an interesting interpretation of events.

Why did it take them 100 years to do the math?

1. Atlas Shrugged is amazing

2. I remember reading The Lorax as a kid. As long as Hollywood is left-leaning, they will always do this when it comes to politicizing every issue. I will just remember when I read it years ago and leave it at that. No reason getting all hot and bothered over it.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

That is an interesting interpretation of events.

Why did it take them 100 years to do the math?
    Who says that it did? When did the river start to catch fire?
    --Odysseus

Who says that it did? When did the river start to catch fire?
    I believe the first time was in the 1860's.