Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I'd prefer to see military service become a requirement for elected office at the federal level, with a CCC-style commitment for those who are medically unfit for military service. Don't want to serve? No problem. But if you don't serve, you don't get to run the country.
    I agree with that, 100%.

On a side note, as far as military excesses are concerned...we know the troops and vets are never paid what they deserve. But I think you'd have to agree...the Pentagon's budget should be equal opportunity on the chopping block, if we're talking about real cuts. I doubt you'd find any logistician or supply manager who'd argue there isn't a HUGE amount of fraud, waste and abuse going on.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I agree with that, 100%.

On a side note, as far as military excesses are concerned...we know the troops and vets are never paid what they deserve. But I think you'd have to agree...the Pentagon's budget should be equal opportunity on the chopping block, if we're talking about real cuts. I doubt you'd find any logistician or supply manager who'd argue there isn't a HUGE amount of fraud, waste and abuse going on.
    I'm a loggie (or, as I like to think of it, recovering cavalry), and I can tell you that our fraud, waste and abuse is far less than any other branch of government. We just get much more scrutiny in the media. Besides, our budget is a straw man. Obama didn't increase the federal debt by $5 trillion during his administration by increasing defense spending, he did it by increasing spending in areas where the federal authority to impose itself is dubious, at best. Simply eliminating his new programs and expenditures and forcing the senate to actually submit a budget would eliminate most of the problem. Before they tough our budget, they should cut back the increase spending imposed by Obama.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I wholeheartedly agree.

The one thing that really bothered me when involved in supply in Iraq was the frivalous requests for gear we barely even used, simply because we were told "there's unlimited funds". I kept getting yelled at in my unit because I wouldn't submit half the orders, until my SgtMaj told me to do it. Even she agreed, there's no such thing as "unlimited funds" when it's taxpayers footing the bill!

Iraq. Don't get me started on how many lives and much money we pissed away in that third world dump for nothing.

Where is the Military Industrial Complex? Never seen it before.

Idiots
    There's no way you can trust her. Her missile is gigantic

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    Where is the Military Industrial Complex? Never seen it before.

Idiots
    I can't tell...sarcasm?

I wholeheartedly agree.

The one thing that really bothered me when involved in supply in Iraq was the frivalous requests for gear we barely even used, simply because we were told "there's unlimited funds". I kept getting yelled at in my unit because I wouldn't submit half the orders, until my SgtMaj told me to do it. Even she agreed, there's no such thing as "unlimited funds" when it's taxpayers footing the bill!

Iraq. Don't get me started on how many lives and much money we pissed away in that third world dump for nothing.
    It might not have been for nothing if we'd kept a stabilizing presence there. South Korea looked hellish in 1953, but look at it now. Obama threw away the possibility of victory for political expediency.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    Where is the Military Industrial Complex? Never seen it before.......
    It's in Groom Lake, NV. Hopefully the dingbats will all gather and rush across the desert at the place like a bunch of Mad Max's.

That would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    It's in Groom Lake, NV. Hopefully the dingbats will all gather and rush across the desert at the place like a bunch of Mad Max's.

That would be fun.
    I think that they should do that at White Sands Missile Range. They can stand out by the big sign that says "Impact Area".
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    It might not have been for nothing if we'd kept a stabilizing presence there. South Korea looked hellish in 1953, but look at it now. Obama threw away the possibility of victory for political expediency.
    The thing that saddens me is the boys we flew on Angel flights...younger than myself at the time in '06. All that time, the contractors making 5-6 times what the average PFC made while WE were the ones with our asses on the line....and now it's all situated just to go to crap like Afghanistan.

Makes you think Smedley Butler was right when he said War is a Racket.

The thing that saddens me is the boys we flew on Angel flights...younger than myself at the time in '06. All that time, the contractors making 5-6 times what the average PFC made while WE were the ones with our asses on the line....and now it's all situated just to go to crap like Afghanistan.

Makes you think Smedley Butler was right when he said War is a Racket.
    I hate to speak ill of a Marine, especially one with a distinguished career, but Smedley Butler was wrong, and his politics clouded his judgment.
    --Odysseus