Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Confederate flag issues aside, I am curious about where the photos were taken. The first looks like a city street in an arabic-speaking nation. The second could be anywhere, and the third one is in color, but faded color, so I assume it was taken during the Vietnam War.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Purely and simply that the role of the Confederate flag in the various 20th century photos is a symbol of pseudo-ethnic identity. It is not the flag of the United States and unless someone here wants to allege that 20th century Southerners are in revolt and disloyal to their country, then it's not a protest flag. It's simply flag which expresses the identity of some of the soldiers present in the photos.

What city do you live in? The reason I ask is because you seem to thing you know about loyalty and respect. Let me use an analogy...

It's like up here in Seattle. People fly the Seahawk's flag religiously (they suck by the way) but it's flown from Washington to Idaho to Oregon... It a rally point for three states that use this flag as pride in the pacific northwest.. a common thing these three states have to get them pumped up as a group "against the world".

The people who fly this Seahawks flag (who suck but the way) don't use it for anything other than pride of their region. Its purely about them and what they believe in..

Seahawks suck....
    Last edited by Gentleman Pirate; 04-02-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Pirate View Post
    What city do you live in? The reason I ask is because you seem to thing you know about loyalty and respect. Let me use an analogy...

It's like up here in Seattle. People fly the Seahawk's flag religiously (they suck by the way) but it's flown from Washington to Idaho to Oregon... It a rally point for three states that use this flag as pride in the pacific northwest.. a common thing these three states have to get them pumped up as a group "against the world".

The people who fly this Seahawks flag (who suck but the way) don't use it for anything other than pride of their region. Its purely about them and what they believe in..

Seahawks suck....
    South Pasadena, Florida and most of us neither identify with nor give a rat's ass about Tampa other than the airport being there.

Banned
    South Pasadena, Florida and most of us neither identify with nor give a rat's ass about Tampa other than the airport being there.
    Then you have no clue what you are talking about..

The confederate flag isn't about race or slavery. It's about regional pride.

Purely and simply that the role of the Confederate flag in the various 20th century photos is a symbol of pseudo-ethnic identity. It is not the flag of the United States and unless someone here wants to allege that 20th century Southerners are in revolt and disloyal to their country, then it's not a protest flag. It's simply flag which expresses the identity of some of the soldiers present in the photos.
    It's also a symbol of rebellion and some white supremacist groups have adopted it as a symbol, which is why US troops who fly it or pose with it can find themselves in all kinds of trouble. Now, if some troopies is posing with a rainbow flag in the middle of a vicious Islamist state, well, let's just say that if I were his commander, I'd be explaining that the Muslims don't particularly care for such things and that he's just made himself a target, and maybe he'd like to think again before doing something that stupid.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster

Thanks for sharing that. Where did I say that it was? I will now place you in the same camp with Ariana Huffington.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Confederate flag issues aside, I am curious about where the photos were taken. The first looks like a city street in an arabic-speaking nation. The second could be anywhere, and the third one is in color, but faded color, so I assume it was taken during the Vietnam War.
    Beirut 1958
    Korea 1951
    Vietnam undated

Thanks for sharing that. Where did I say that it was? I will now place you in the same camp with Ariana Huffington.
    So, are you going to show this photo of the person in Afghanistan posing with the rainbow flag or is this just another one of your bullshit posts making the flawed argument that being gay is normal?
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Speaking of proudly gay troops,
    here's a picture that will make you want to hurl up big chunks:

This was taken at a homecoming isn't it sweet.
    Can you just imagine what Chesty Puller would say.

I coulda lived another 150 years without seeing that.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.