Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Diet soda too dangerous to drink every day? 
    Every other week, it seems as if there’s a new study cautioning people against the health risks of diet soda.

But just how dangerous is soda – especially for a person who drinks it every day? Dr. Manny Alvarez, senior managing health editor of FoxNews.com, answers one viewer’s concern.

Hi Dr. Manny, I drink a few cans of diet soda every day. Could this be bad for my health? Thanks, Beth

According to recent studies, diet soda may be linked with an increased risk of stroke. Prior research has already linked soda with obesity, kidney damage and certain cancers.

“Just because it says ‘diet,’ doesn’t mean it’s healthy or the key to losing weight,” Alvarez warned.

While making the switch from regular soda to diet may save on calories, drinking more than one per day may actually increase a person’s risk of type 2 diabetes.

Patricia Bannan, a registered dietician, offered a second opinion:

“While I think having a regular diet soda once in a while is OK, I recommend people limit them as much as possible,” she said. “The reason for that is twofold – number one, both regular and diet soda is very sweet and it can trigger your sweet tooth and get you accustomed to eating very sweet foods and craving more sugary foods. The second reason is that both regular and diet soda have undesirable ingredients. Regular soda is packed with sugar, packed with empty calories, and diet soda has a lot of artificial ingredients.”

Bannan recommended drinking flat or sparkling water with a splash of fruit juice, or making ‘infused’ water using cucumbers, berries, limes or mint.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1qvBqUXg8
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Now I feel bad about feeling so aggravated with Publix this evening. They had a big sale on Coke products. I was annoyed that the shelves were about bare and none of the flavors that I usually get were there. I had planned on going back tomorrow for it, but think maybe I'll just skip it.

SR has his Sodastream, that carbonates water to make seltzer. Maybe we'll just stick with that---will be cheaper and probably better for us.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post

SR has his Sodastream, that carbonates water to make seltzer. Maybe we'll just stick with that---will be cheaper and probably better for us.
    I drink more seltzer or club soda than anything in the summer, we have a store here that is selling 2 liter Dr.Pepper and Cherry Dr. Pepper for 70 cents right now, so I have been drinking too much of that.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

HEB seltzer at about $1.50/gal
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

More anti-Diet Coke propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I posted it just for you!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I drink more seltzer or club soda than anything in the summer, we have a store here that is selling 2 liter Dr.Pepper and Cherry Dr. Pepper for 70 cents right now, so I have been drinking too much of that.
    Polar Seltzer , flavored seltzer, has enough zip to satisfy that fresh taste and sensation that we look for in soda and doesn't have aspartame or phosphoric acid.

Dark colored sodas are the worst for you.
    Aspartame is worse than Splenda, Splenda is worse than Stevia. Stevia soda is still expensive ($6.00/six pack).

I haven't had a cola or dark soda or aspartame soda since I started seeing the nephrologist in May 2011 and have seen steady improvement in kidney function.

I can't say that the one is related to the other, simply that I have quit dark sodas and aspartame in addition to giving up red meat, pork, and highly processed foods or those with artificial ingredients. I especially watch out for added phosphates.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That's what I used to say about cigarette warnings.

Potential Negative Effects
    A research team at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston studied links between diet and kidney disorders among over 3,000 women enrolled in the national Nurses' Health Study. They found that two or more servings per day of diet sodas led to a two-fold increased risk of faster kidney function decline. The results were presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Nephrology in 2009 and later published in January 2011 in the "Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology." A study in 2007, published in the journal "Epidemiology," also found a link between diet and regular carbonated cola beverages, which have a high level of phosphoric acid, and chronic kidney disease. No such link was found with non-cola carbonated drinks like lemon-lime sodas and ginger ale.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...#ixzz1qzYSDiuW

The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Do you like throwback better than regular?