1. #1 Occupy San Francisco Livestream~Building Occupation 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The OccuTards are at it again in SF...

Mon Apr 2, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Pharaoh

Occupy San Francisco Livestream~Building Occupation

Last edited Mon Apr 2, 2012, 03:36 PM USA/ET - Edit history (2)
    http://occupywallst.org/article/occu...enter-vacant-/

In another sign of the Occupy movement's diversifying tactics and growing spring momentum, yesterday Occupy San Francisco liberated a vacant building owned by the Archdiocese of San Francisco and announced plans to establish a permanent occupation -- including a social center, shelter, and food bank -- on the site. The April 1st action began with a lively march from Union Square before arriving at the building just before 6pm. When they arrived, Occupiers who had already secured the building greeted the marchers with open doors.

The two-story building, located at 888 Turk St., soon filled with hundreds of exuberant Occupiers. Preliminary reports indicate that the Archdiocese has asked police not to take any action until the morning. However, the Occupiers are requesting help and numbers in case of any eviction attempt. If you are in the Bay Area and are able, please get down to the San Francisco Commune as soon as possible!

This is a guy with a cam set up on the rooftop of the occupied building.

PS: The stopped the cam to go get water )
    And the DU retards mostly cheer them on...
    Call "The Brigade"
    May the FORCE be with you!

Not all agree.

Star Member TheWraith (23,113 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    12. Because some people would rather feel persecuted than be effective.

Actual, effective action which changes anything isn't the point of this. It's to feel put upon, and scream about "fascism" after you get arrested for illegally taking possession of someone else's stuff. There's a certain sect on the left which simply does not want to do anything effective--they just want to be able to feel like the underdogs. It's the Green Party types, the Naderites, the Code Pinkers, and all the others who choose to delude themselves into believing that they're accomplishing something when in fact they're doing exactly the opposite.
    sudopod (4,678 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    26. It's always easier to do and ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.

View profile
    Moreover, the Church is a good subject for this brand of schenanigan.

1) The Church has enormous land holdings, much of which is sitting unused.
    2) The Church has doctrines which say that they are commanded by God Himself to care for the poor.
    3) Point out that this re purposing of a vacant building uses the Church's resources to do the Church's self-declared mission, making it difficult for the Church to call in the riot police without looking a bit hypocritical. There is a large banner on the front of the building with Bible quotes to this effect. I would have found something form JP2 to go along with it, myself.

Once the Overton window has been moved, and people accept that this particular vacant building can serve this way, it becomes easier to maneuver local, city, and state governments into allowing this for wider swathes of vacant buildings and foreclosed housing.
    Star Member badtoworse (1,898 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    39. Sorry for being cynical, but I believe this is about visibility for OWS, not helping the poor.

View profile
    I am active in my Church and lead a group called the Samaritans. We do things to help the less fortunate in our community - raise money, collect food and clothing, help in shelters, etc. This year, we are focusing on filling local food banks, helping a group that combats child abuse and supporting single mothers. I know from personal experience that the Church encourages that sort of thing. I'm sure that if OWS had approached them with a bone fide plan to use the building to help the homeless, it would have gotten serious consideration. At the very least, the Church would have talked to them.

IMO, this is about OWS being on the evening news and in the papers. If they were truly serious about helping the poor, there is no logical reason why they wouldn't have discussed their idea with the Church first. If OWS had a good plan, it's possible the Church would have made additional resources available - my church would have (not that we're well off, but we do what we can with what we have).

They were evicted.

link

The Northerner (4,417 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Dozens of Occupiers evicted from building
    (04-02) 15:46 PDT San Francisco -- Police on Monday afternoon began arresting Occupy activists who had taken over an empty San Francisco building the night before.

More than two dozen people had been removed from the building at 888 Turk St. by late afternoon, and it was unclear how many more remained inside. Police stormed the two-story building, which is owned by the Archdiocese of San Francisco, at about 1:45 p.m., after tearing down a barricade that protesters had built to block a main door.

The building has been used as a music education facility by the archdiocese-associated nearby school Sacred Heart Cathedral High School.

Occupy protester Beth Seligman said on Monday morning that a few hundred people came into the building and stayed the night, but police said they believed about 50 to 70 people were inside on Monday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BARI1NTM3V.DTL