1. #1 So I want to work in Political Advertisment. 
    I'm a student at Michigan State University in East Lansing Michigan and I'm studying advertising and would like to spend my life working on campaign advertisements. I'm thinking I should find a campaign to work with this summer would be a great opportunity to get my foot in the door to the field of campaign advertisements. I've already filled out volunteer info for the Peter Hoekstra campaign and Mitt Romney campaigns but haven't heard anything back from anyone, I was always under the impression that they will take any volunteer they can and becoming a campaign volunteer was fairly simple. Is it to early in the process for them to take volunteers or whats the deal?

So what do I need to do in order to link up with a campaign? As you can imagine East Lansing is just up the street from the state capital Lansing so I would think there are opportunities literally five minutes up the street from me.

Also any word of wisdom for working in the political advertisement would be greatly appreciated. Michigan State does indeed have a great ad program but political advertisements are not really covered in the program so I feel I need to take proactive steps to get into the field.

It should be noted I'm a huge conservative with libertarian leaning. I watch Fox News many hours every day and check site such as the Drudge Report, HumanEvents.com, Townhall.com on a daily basis. I have a burning passion for small goverment and personal freedoms and think I would be a value to any campaign I'm just having trouble finding one.

Quote Originally Posted by BreslinBeal1990 View Post
    I'm a student at Michigan State University in East Lansing Michigan and I'm studying advertising and would like to spend my life working on campaign advertisements. I'm thinking I should find a campaign to work with this summer would be a great opportunity to get my foot in the door to the field of campaign advertisements. I've already filled out volunteer info for the Peter Hoekstra campaign and Mitt Romney campaigns but haven't heard anything back from anyone, I was always under the impression that they will take any volunteer they can and becoming a campaign volunteer was fairly simple. Is it to early in the process for them to take volunteers or whats the deal?

So what do I need to do in order to link up with a campaign? As you can imagine East Lansing is just up the street from the state capital Lansing so I would think there are opportunities literally five minutes up the street from me.

Also any word of wisdom for working in the political advertisement would be greatly appreciated. Michigan State does indeed have a great ad program but political advertisements are not really covered in the program so I feel I need to take proactive steps to get into the field.

It should be noted I'm a huge conservative with libertarian leaning. I watch Fox News many hours every day and check site such as the Drudge Report, HumanEvents.com, Townhall.com on a daily basis. I have a burning passion for small goverment and personal freedoms and think I would be a value to any campaign I'm just having trouble finding one.
    I find politicians to be smarmy, loathesome creatures... That be said, the best ads are the honest ads. The ones that use the person's OWN words (in context!)
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I don't think you could get into my campaign (if I were a candidate, and I'm not) unless you were connected and vouched for. That's because I would not want anyone to have the opportunity to steal and pass on lists, strategies, inside info or anything else. There is too much at stake to take in an unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I don't think you could get into my campaign (if I were a candidate, and I'm not) unless you were connected and vouched for. That's because I would not want anyone to have the opportunity to steal and pass on lists, strategies, inside info or anything else. There is too much at stake to take in an unknown.
    There has to be something a young person like myself can do to get on a campaign. I willing to get an entry level volunteer position and work my way up. I'm very opinionated and passionate about my beliefs in small government and personal freedoms I think given time I could win over the trust of a conservative campaign.

But my main point is what should I do to get the process rolling and eventually make a career in this field. Im sure there are many people in this site who have worked on campaigns and might have some insight.

I'd start with my state representative. He has to run every two years in most states and may be willing to give you a chance. But I wouldn't think you would be given much of a chance at first. They may let you hand out signs or something. Then, after a few campaigns maybe you'll get a chance to move up. The state representatives where I live are very approachable. For that matter so is our congressional representative, but that's here. Things may be different where you are.

Picture it: A kid (OK, OK, a young person) works as a volunteer. One night he gets drunk or high and does something really stupid. Or maybe she's too pretty and causes a Monica Lewinski type moment. See?

Join your local Republican party movement whatever it is. Get active and stay active. But I gotta warn you: one mistake is all you're going to get. Our local young Democratic hotshot is all over the papers after he screwed up and mouthed off to a reporter. He had to quit the party!