Thread: My Bouncy Story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My Bouncy Story 
    Okay, true story...

(For those of you who don't know, I'm an American living in Quebec)

So anyway I was standing in line at the grocery store, with some stuff I needed for Passover. Their debit system crashed, so there was a big hold up and we were all waiting in two very long lines. Two guys behind me started talking about the Canadian healthcare.

"Why don't they open up more registers?"
    "It's by law, they can only have so many people working the registers at night"
    "Guess it's like hospitals, you go into the emergency room and wait 15 hours for care. I'm sure the government controls how many nurses can be on duty"
    "Yeah... gotta love free healthcare"

They went on to say how Americans are stupid to think that the Canadian healthcare system was any good, or even that it was free. At one point one of the guys asked the other given all that they pay in taxes, whether it was worth they money. The verdict was no... it wasn't. One actually claimed it was the worst healthcare system, in terms of cost-to-benefit. They seriously spent about 15 minutes bashing the Canadian healthcare system, and bashing Americans who wanted to emulate it.

"If our healthcare is so good, then how come rich Canadians go down to the US for treatment, eh?"

By the time I left, the topic had moved on to how the Canadian government wants to go cashless. At this point, the grocery store couldn't get their system up and was only taking cash as payment.

I didn't know you spoke French.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Funny I didnt read anywhere in that story about those guys speaking French? Maybe you can point it out to me? Or are you just a snarking tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Funny I didnt read anywhere in that story about those guys speaking French? Maybe you can point it out to me? Or are you just a snarking tool?
    um bailey, Quebec is mainly french speaking...

not standing up for oreo, just saying...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    um bailey, Quebec is mainly french speaking...

not standing up for oreo, just saying...
    Well i have been up there MANY MANY times and I can tell you they speak english very well, THEY just dont LIKE speaking it. He is just being a tool as normal. I've almost got into fights during the bush years when I had stickers on my car.

Well golly gee Wilbur down here in the hateful backwards south when the debit system goes bonkers folks just run purchases as a credit, works fine for us.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Okay, true story...

Back in '08 when I had heart failure I was in the Cardiologist's office at 8:30 am, in the hospital by 10, heart cath by 2 pm and the ICD implant was over with by 8:30.

My good friend in Calgary was telling his boys about that whirlwind and he passed on that they laughed out loud and said I would have had to wait 6 months for the cardio appointment much less the ICD - maybe a year or two..
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Good bouncy. Couple of well placed "so's".

I don't believe the part about being a jooooooooooooooo though.

Have a nice Passover.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I don't. Montreal seems to be split about 50/50 on anglophones and francophones. But, I live in an English speaking neighborhood so that tips it.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Good bouncy. Couple of well placed "so's".

I don't believe the part about being a jooooooooooooooo though.

Have a nice Passover.
    There's a Hasidic community in my area. Those guys give me the creeps. I always think I should say "hello" when I pass one on shabbat, or the high holidays, or sukkot. But they probably wouldn't acknowledge that we practice the same religion.