Many of us have suspected that the reason for the Trayvon Martin case prominence in the media this year is the need to get the African American vote to the polls by triggering a fear response in the community. I am trying to compile a list of such correspondences, and here is what I have so far:

1988 (Bush v Dukakis)

Al Sharpton pushes Tawana Brawley case in New York. In October, about a month before the election, the grand jury report on the Brawley case come out with the conclusion that Brawley had been neither abducted nor raped.

1992 (Bush v Clinton)

Simi Valley jury finds LAPD officers "not guilty" in the case of Rodney King. Riots ensue April 29, 1992, bring National Guard to LA streets.

1996 (Clinton v Dole)

OJ Simpson civil trial begins in Santa Monica, CA in October. The Simpson case overshadows the years 1994 (June: murders, low speed chase on 405 freeway), 1995 (October: the verdict), and 1996 (civil trial). Only the OK city bombing in 1995 could suck the media energy out of the Simpson case.

2008 (Mc Cain v Obama)

Racist incidents toward Obama are reported. Bill and Hillary Clinton are labeled "racists".

2012 (Obama v Romney?)

Trayvon Martin

I'm not sure if these mean anything, but I thought I would throw them out there. Can anyone else think of anything?