Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sanford Police Department reopens after Trayvon Martin protest 
    Arrest of George Zimmerman sought in fatal Sanford shooting
    Published On: Apr 09 2012 11:15:06 AM EDT Updated On: Apr 09 2012 04:19:19 PM EDT
    SANFORD, Fla. -

A group of students protesting the Trayvon Martin shooting on Monday blocked the entrance to the Sanford Police Department by kneeling in front of the doors, forcing the department to close. It has since been reopened.

No arrests were made in the protest, which came a day after the students, who call themselves the Dream Defenders, completed a 40-mile, three-day march from Daytona Beach to Sanford, where Martin, 17, was shot and killed by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in late February.
    City officials and members of the U.S. Department of Justice observed the demonstration, which consisted of a handful of students -- some wearing hoodies -- blocking the entrance, with dozens of others standing nearby.

"The city of Sanford hopes the actions of the students will be as peaceful and orderly as the previous rallies and marches have been," said city manager Norton Bonaparte, Jr. "We want to be accommodating to all our visitors proving they act in a manner that is respectful to the people of the city."

Special prosecutor Angela Corey, who announced earlier Monday that she will not bring the case before a grand jury, spoke to the students via a conference call. Corey asked the students for patience and ensured that she is conducting a fair investigation.

After speaking with Corey, Bonaparte and other officials Monday afternoon, the students left the police station. Sanford officials said the closing had a minimal effect on police and fire responses to emergency calls. Citizens who needed to do routine police business were told to go to Sanford City Hall.

City officials told the group of protesters that it would hold another town hall meeting to further address the shooting on April 19.

The Dream Defenders said they are composed of a diverse array of young leaders from across the country with one common goal -- to work in solidarity to incite generational change and make global impact.

On Sunday night, the nearly 50 students made a call for non-violent civil disobedience while speaking at the Allen Chapel AME Church in Sanford.

The students demanded Zimmerman's arrest, an overhaul of the justice system and the ouster of elected officials.

"Do you know who (your elected officials) are?" asked Dream Defender and Florida A&M student, Ciara Taylor. "I bet you do now. I bet you didn't know they would stand by idly while George Zimmerman has been on the loose for 40 days."
    Martin's mom, Sybrina Fulton, spoke to the students via cellphone.
    "This is not only about Trayvon, this is about your future as well, and we just want to say thank you. We really appreciate you," said Fulton.

The Dream Defenders took Fulton's gratitude to heart as they passionately demanded a revolution.

"If Dr. (Martin Luther) King were alive today, he would know that his dream has not come true," said Stetson University student Jelissa Conway. "Because if it had, we would not have to be here and Trayvon Martin would still be alive."

Sanford police said Zimmerman, 28, shot and killed Martin, who was wearing a hoodie and carrying a bag of Skittles, an iced tea and his cellphone, during a confrontation. Zimmerman said he shot the teen in self-defense after Martin punched him and slammed his head against the sidewalk.

Zimmerman has not been arrested or charged, prompting numerous marches and rallies across the country. Florida's "stand your ground law," which allows someone to meet "force with force," has also come under fire.

Zimmerman is currently in hiding, according to his attorneys.

It remains unclear when Corey will announce her decision on whether charges will be filed in the case.
    http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Tra...k/-/index.html
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Wait, we live in a legal system were a mob of citizens can demand someone's arrest?

You know, I think it's valid to ask the FBI or Justice Dept to investigate -- there is precedent for this. Lord only knows how hard it must be for the local government & law enforcement to remain impartial given pressure coming from the media circus (this blade cuts both ways). But it's really interesting to see how quickly due process goes out the window when someone is opinionated about a specific situation.

I don't think either political party can honestly cast themselves as the defender of civil liberties, due process, and a fair and impartial justice system. But Democrats definitely lowered themselves a few notches here.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Wait, we live in a legal system were a mob of citizens can demand someone's arrest?

You know, I think it's valid to ask the FBI or Justice Dept to investigate -- there is precedent for this. Lord only knows how hard it must be for the local government & law enforcement to remain impartial given pressure coming from the media circus (this blade cuts both ways). But it's really interesting to see how quickly due process goes out the window when someone is opinionated about a specific situation.

I don't think either political party can honestly cast themselves as the defender of civil liberties, due process, and a fair and impartial justice system. But Democrats definitely lowered themselves a few notches here.
    Besides what you have already stated, shutting down a police dept who's job is public safety, protecting citizens from crime. I really don't see how this qualified as a lawful assembly or a free speech protest.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Power CUer
    A group of students protesting the Trayvon Martin shooting on Monday blocked the entrance to the Sanford Police Department by kneeling in front of the doors, forcing the department to close....

No arrests were made in the protest.

No pepper spray?

Santa Monica College students blocked the door to protest an exorbitant increase in tuition rates and they got pepper sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    No pepper spray?

Santa Monica College students blocked the door to protest an exorbitant increase in tuition rates and they got pepper sprayed.
    What color were the Santa Monica students?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    What color were the Santa Monica students?
    Check out the video and see what you think.

http://rt.com/usa/news/santa-monica-pepper-spray-207/

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Check out the video and see what you think.

http://rt.com/usa/news/santa-monica-pepper-spray-207/
    Mostly white, but I think they seasoned one black guy.

I wait with baited breath for this group to now march to Baltimore do demand arrests in the beating, robbing, and stripping of a white tourist by blacks.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Arrest him?

Can you imagine the uproar if the arrested him and then let him out on bail!!??

Oh, my Lord the howling!

A prudent prosecutor will wait a looooong time before proceeding, if at all. I had a friend arrested for murder and it was years before they arrested him. They even had a video of him shooting the guy. They would call him in from time to time and question him, but no arrest. Defense attorney said they were hoping he would plead guilty to something, but Ted never did. Got 10 years. (Texas) Died earlier this year after being out for a year or so.

So, if I were the prosecutor it would be a long time before I made a move. Hopefully, the protestors will get tired of it and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I wait with baited breath for this group to now march to Baltimore do demand arrests in the beating, robbing, and stripping of a white tourist by blacks.
    There were no protests when a 17 year old black man shot and killed two white Brit tourists who were begging for their lives. They made the mistake of going into "Newtown". Going in there drunk was a major mistake.

The guy was convicted, but this is a tourist town. You can't shoot the tourists, not good for business. But there was no mass marching in the streets of the whites, just whining about the poor, persecuted shooter and his unfortunate upbringing. There are way too many libs here.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"