Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Soldiers Are Not Heroes 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    And here is another "Superior Intellect" that is sick of being ignored!!!

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 04:28 AM
    MichaelMcGuire

Soldiers Are Not Heroes

By Harry Paterson

You might need to sit down for this one. Ready? OK, here goesÖ

Soldiers arenít heroes. There. Shocking, eh? Well, consider this; the army, like any organisation comprising hundreds of thousands of men and women, will contain almost as many different types as there are people. There will be the diligent and the lazy, the honest and the deceitful, the brave and the cowardly and the humane and the pitiless. They canít all be heroes, you know. Not even all the dead ones.Now I donít know about you, but Iím sick to the back teeth of the emotional blackmail with which we are daily assaulted. Appeals to ĎSupport Our Boysí everywhere you look and every poor, duped and brainwashed unit of working-class cannon fodder, unfortunate enough to step on an IED in Helmand Province, virtually elevated to Sainthood. Even the BBC, laughably dubbed Bolsheviks Broadcasting Communism by the more unhinged and bellicose of our gin-soaked Colonels and their twin-set and pearl-adorned wives, seems to have turned itself into the Department of War Propaganda with never so much as a hint that there might exist, out there in the country in which it purports to report, an alternative view. Iíd even bet it was a majority view, too, by now.

Iím also more than a little sick of the accusing and outraged responses my articulating of such sentiments provokes. There is, currently, no army anywhere on the face of the planet fighting for me or to keep me and mine safe. I wasnít asked if I wanted UK troops in Afghanistan and Iím certainly not stupid enough to believe that now they are there, theyíre fighting to protect my family and yours. Oh sure, there will be some soldiers, maybe even many, who believe thatís what theyíre doing but, back in the real world, most of us know the real reason they are there is to secure and then protect by force cynical Western interests revolving, mainly, around resources and geopolitical influence in the region. By that, of course, I mean largely American interests, to which we become ever more subordinate.Frankly, Afghanistan and the UKís ongoing involvement there makes me angrier than Iíve been for a long time and I resent the frothing, rabid, racist idiots, drunk on blind patriotism and the bullshit dripping from the stateís propaganda tit. Expressly designed, of course, to keep the stupid proles docile, compliant and on-message. You sup if you want to but count me out.

Now Iím no wild-eyed, army-hating pacifist. Iím privileged to know some fine human beings who have served in the British Army. One, in particular, spending an eventful career involved in incidents that will definitely not be subjected to public scrutiny any time soon. Interestingly enough, though, they all seem to have a far clearer and much more accurate understanding of the motivations underpinning the UKís military excursions than those who support them. Motives, they would assure you, which have nothing whatsoever to do with noble concepts like freedom, democracy and philanthropy.

Continue: http://harrypaterson.co.uk/politics-...re-not-heroes/
    And our DUmmie friends are quick to jump on the bandwagon, after all, it's anti-American so it's good!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Bloody wanker.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

What a F***ing tool. We should deport his ass to Afghanistan or Iraq, and see what he thinks then.

Heroism comes in many forms, all of them completely alien to trough-feeding DemonRat Pigressives.

It counts for something that you gave your country that blank check on your life, fortune, and sacred honor even if it never has to be cashed in.

I think the author would be disappointed to find out that soldiers themselves don't like to be looked up as heroes either.

If you come into this profesion of arms looking to become a hero you either quickly become disillusioned dead or both.

My initial reaction to the article had to do more with the messenger shoving his dislike for how the majorithy of America wiews us than his view that we're not heroes.

Because while by and large myself and others don't view ourselves as a hero...neither to we like to have assclowns like this tell us how much we don't deserve that status.
    Last edited by txradioguy; 04-10-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Well-put, Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I think the author would be disappointed to find out that soldiers themselves don't like to be looked up as heroes either.

If you come into this profesion of arms looking to become a hero you either quickly become disillusioned dead or both.

My initial reaction to the article had to do more with the messenger shoving his dislike for how the majorithy of America wiews us than his view that we're not heroes.

Because while by and large myself and others don't view ourselves as a hero...neither to we like to have assclowns like this tell us how much we don't deserve that status.
    Kipling said it best:

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
    An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
    Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
    While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

One of my favorite quotes from A Few Good Men in an exchange between Cmdr. Galloway and Lt. Weinberg:

Weinberg: Why do like them so much(referring to the Marines)
    Galloway: Because they stand on a wall and say, "Nothing's going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch."

Soldiers are heroes. So are police, firefighters, EMS, nurses, doctors, etc. With all of these jobs, if you're in it for the glory, you're in it for the wrong reasons. The heroism is the sacrifice few are willing to make. The sacrifices not everyone is willing to make. And I'm not just talking about giving one's life in the line of duty. That, for the lack of a better term, is an occupational hazard. The sacrifices I speak of are missing out on holidays, children's birthdays, anniversaries, etc. DUmmies would never even dream of making any sacrifices like these let alone directly help someone. So they're in no position to judge anyone.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post

I agree.

His first couple of sentences were unpc truths then he went totally off the chain.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Soldiers are heroes. So are police, firefighters, EMS, nurses, doctors, etc. With all of these jobs, if you're in it for the glory, you're in it for the wrong reasons. The heroism is the sacrifice few are willing to make. The sacrifices not everyone is willing to make. And I'm not just talking about giving one's life in the line of duty. That, for the lack of a better term, is an occupational hazard. The sacrifices I speak of are missing out on holidays, children's birthdays, anniversaries, etc. DUmmies would never even dream of making any sacrifices like these let alone directly help someone. So they're in no position to judge anyone.
    DU is like many boards- a couple of dozen regular loudmouths keep the threads active while multitudes comment quietly now and then and avoid conflict.

However, your notion that all the occupations you consider noble and self sacrificing are devoid of liberals, progressives, or those who post on DU is not supported by reason. Moreover you skip over or evade the fact that in good times or bad, the jobs you have listed tend to be stable and come with reliable paychecks and good benefits. Or perhaps by "Dummies" you are referring to the subset of membership on that board which would more generally be classified as dumbass fucking stupid poo poo heads? In which case, it would be like judging the intellectual and moral fiber of Conservative Underground by the likes of Bailey or Hawkgirl.

Lots of people miss out on holidays, children's birthdays, anniversaries, etc., many of them working so that those with small children can have off. Get off the cross.