Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

There's a difference between missing whole years of out your child's life because of a deployment, and putting yourself in harm's way to protect your country, and taking a shift so that a married worker can have time with his or her kids. If you can't tell the difference, then you have a problem.
    Of course Nova is going to bash my post because he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. My father was a policeman and worked shift work. He didn't have a choice in the matter until he made lieutenant and became the training lieutenant. By then, I was in high school(I'm the youngest of 4) but I can tell you that growing up and when he was a sergeant and a shift lieutenant, he missed many a birthday, Christmas, little league games ect. At my job, you're seniority usually dictates what shift you work, especially if you want a full time bid. Sometimes it's a choice, like me, and sometimes it is not. I work in the prison infirmary and there are many nurses who work doubles at least twice weekly and there are times when some of my co-workers get stuck on holidays because we work with some assholes who will call out sick on said holiday forcing someone to do a double because it's highly unlikely someone will volunteer to work a double or come in on their day off to work Christmas. If I call off, they don't shut my job down. It has to be filled. I have yet to have Christmas off since I started working in this job with the exception of when I was in the academy so so far I've been off exactly 1 Christmas in 8 years with another year being a choice because I volunteered to work Christmas off so someone else could have off with their kids. But people like nova call this prosthelytizing but I'm simply stating a fact that there are many people who make sacrifices in order to provide for their families with some making bigger sacrifices than others. But nova is an asshole so take his opinions for what they're worth.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    DU is like many boards- a couple of dozen regular loudmouths keep the threads active while multitudes comment quietly now and then and avoid conflict.

However, your notion that all the occupations you consider noble and self sacrificing are devoid of liberals, progressives, or those who post on DU is not supported by reason. Moreover you skip over or evade the fact that in good times or bad, the jobs you have listed tend to be stable and come with reliable paychecks and good benefits. Or perhaps by "Dummies" you are referring to the subset of membership on that board which would more generally be classified as dumbass fucking stupid poo poo heads? In which case, it would be like judging the intellectual and moral fiber of Conservative Underground by the likes of Bailey or Hawkgirl.

Lots of people miss out on holidays, children's birthdays, anniversaries, etc., many of them working so that those with small children can have off. Get off the cross.
    Thank you for proving to the class that aside from wee wee you're the leading fuckbag on this board. Yes those jobs I listed come with paychecks and good benefits but some of them also carry the risk that when you leave home, you might not be coming back. But you go on and continue making fun. It's your nature to demean others because you are a typical elitist liberal scumbag.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Nova cherry picking what he wants from an article? Say it ain't so.
    And keep in mind too that the "Times" publications are no friend of the militry. They are published by gannett...the same people that put out USA Today.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Thank you for proving to the class that aside from wee wee you're the leading fuckbag on this board. Yes those jobs I listed come with paychecks and good benefits but some of them also carry the risk that when you leave home, you might not be coming back. But you go on and continue making fun. It's your nature to demean others because you are a typical elitist liberal scumbag.
    Nova doesn't understand because he's never had to live without the services provided by first responders. He takes them for granted just like he does the freedoms provided by the country he so openly despises most of the time.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I really get under your skin, huh twinkletoes?
    No, you're just vulgar.

Fabulous Poster
    Nova cherry picking what he wants from an article? Say it ain't so.
    Actually, Snookie, Nova linked to the article rather than simply quoting it.

Fabulous Poster
    I'm not demeaning the people in those professions. You, Snookie, demean yourself.

Actually, Snookie, Nova linked to the article rather than simply quoting it.
    Then perhaps you should have read it. For that matter, you might have done a bit more research. Unlike previous polls by Gannett's military papers, the raw data isn't available to review. That tends to set off alarm bells. Also, the poll was published in April, 2010, which means that it could have reflected any time during the prior year, when Obama was riding much higher in the polls.

Now, maybe I'm pulling a Pauline Kael, but I don't see a whole lot of Obama bumper stickers on post, as opposed to in Alexandria, which is a DC suburb, and another indicator that tends to resonate with me is this: There's a gift shop in the Pentagon that sells, among other things, presidential knicknacks. The Obama merchandise isn't moving, but they can't keep Reagan stuff in stock.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    There's a gift shop in the Pentagon that sells, among other things, presidential knicknacks. The Obama merchandise isn't moving, but they can't keep Reagan stuff in stock.
    That certainly settles it.

But seriously, as you noted and as I am given to respond to most polls: the methodology is rarely presented and we really have no sound basis for assessment. I realize that it would be asking too much for these polls and publishers to do this, but rather than a "40% are this and 30% are that" summary, I would like to see the actual questions and response statistics and then I will decide what they mean.

I'm a perfect example. Over at Democratic Underground I was regarded as a racist, islamphobic, possibly not even gay, conservative fascists self hating Republican in Democratic drag. At Free Republic, pretty much the same only reversed. In both of those places there is tremendous pressure to conform or be shunned. According to Family Guy, I'm a contrarian. According to me, I am objective and don't take positions based on my self perception as a member of a party or a group, rather based in reason on each topic. I am a registered Democrat. That doesn't mean that I love Obama or hate Reagan. Both Reagan and Obama did considerable damage to this country. Finding someone who won't do that appears to be impossible- but I know this, it isn't Romney.

No, you're just vulgar.
    Not as vulgar as you Nova, not by a long shot.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf