Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Should artists be paid a living wage? 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    They make it sooooo easy sometimes...

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Snake Alchemist

Should artists be paid a living wage?

What amount should they be paid? Who would decide if they were a real artist? Should their be any volume requirements set for # of pieces of work per month/year?

Seems like as good a time as any to bring up this topic as some people seem to be able to define what a "real" artist is and could serve on the boards.
    There are some sane answers but being the DUmp...
    May the FORCE be with you!

This stuff is hilarious. We could turn it into a book. Something to read on the can
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    ah yes...commie group think...
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I just knocked out 17 paintings while I was reading that thread. Check please.

I honestly cannot even comprehend some of the things that come out of their heads.
    Be Not Afraid.

Remember this?

"The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Remember this?
    Ug. I had forgotten about that.

Did anyone bother to ask Nancy how these suddenly out of work (by choice) artists are going to make their rent? Or eat? /rhetorical
    Be Not Afraid.

A good memory is the enemy of lies, JB. And you are right. I am sure no thought was given to any of those things.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    A good memory is the enemy of lies, JB. And you are right. I am sure no thought was given to any of those things.
    One generally doesn't find Nancy Pelosi and thought in the same sentence.

The funny thing is, back when the NEA funding was under discussion, I pointed out that if artists take money from the government, then the government has an obligation to ensure that the art meets its standards. In a free market, the government has no such power. By demanding government money, the left was guaranteeing that Jesse Helms (their bete noire at the time) had standing as an art critic.

Of course, for that argument to have traction, the leftists would have had to have some consistency.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    One generally doesn't find Nancy Pelosi and thought in the same sentence.

The funny thing is, back when the NEA funding was under discussion, I pointed out that if artists take money from the government, then the government has an obligation to ensure that the art meets its standards. In a free market, the government has no such power. By demanding government money, the left was guaranteeing that Jesse Helms (their bete noire at the time) had standing as an art critic.

Of course, for that argument to have traction, the leftists would have had to have some consistency.
    You should have supported Ron Paul.

If people like your art, they will either buy it or pay to see it in an exhibit.

Otherwise, there's a traditional reason why so many are called "starving artists".