1. #1 Dear White Folks - great piece in Ebony 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Not sure dear malaise is getting the race hatred replies she probably expected...

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
    malaise

Dear White Folks - great piece in Ebony

Last edited Wed Apr 11, 2012, 07:15 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
    http://www.ebony.com/news-views/dear...denying-racism
    <snip>
    Dear White folks:

Between the racist comments, the constant use of the race denial card (this country's most frequently used "race card") and the absurd claims of White victimhood, you have really grated my last nerve.

I have heard that “we are all Trayvon Martin” over the last few weeks, yet we are not Trayvon Martin – and we never could be. White America is never suspicious. White America can walk to the store without fear of being hunted down. White America can count on justice and a nation grieving at the loss of White life. We aren't Trayvon Martin, we are George Zimmerman: presumed innocent until proven innocent.

I want you to close your eyes for a second, and imagine that your son or daughter, sister or brother, granddaughter or grandson, ventured to the corner store for some Skittles and tea but never returned? Can you imagine if Peter or Jan were gunned down right around the corner from your house and the police didn’t notify you right away? Can you imagine if little Sydney or Bobby sat in the morgue for days as you searched to find out what happened them? Can you even imagine the police letting the perpetrator go or the news media remaining silent? Can you even fathom learning about background and drug tests on your child? Can you imagine the news media demonizing your child, blaming your child for his own death?

Can you imagine the outcry if seven White youths had been gunned down by police and security guards in a matter of months? Can you imagine the extensive political interest, the media stories that would saturate the airwaves? Can you imagine Fox News or any number of newspapers reporting about a school suspension for one of the victims or doctoring pictures in an attempt to make these victims less sympathetic? Can you imagine a person holding up a sign calling these victims “thugs” and “hoodlums.”Just think about the media frenzy, the concern from politicians, and the national horror every time a school shooting happens in Suburbia or every time a White woman goes missing...can you imagine if women routinely went missing from your community and the news and police department simply couldn't be bothered?

David J. Leonard is Associate Professor in the Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race Studies at Washington State University, Pullman. He is author of After Artest: Race and the War on Hoop (SUNY Press, spring 2012).
    Time will tell...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    David J. Leonard is Associate Professor in the Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race Studies at Washington State University, Pullman. He is author of After Artest: Race and the War on Hoop (SUNY Press, spring 2012).
    There's a whole Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race Studies at WSU? One professor in a tin foil hat wasn't enough?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Great piece of s***.

How racist can you get?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...beating-879234

Yeah, "white folks" never get robbed or beaten while walking around. Shall I post more?

http://upressonline.com/2012/03/fau-...nd-classmates/

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-0...thets#comments

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-olney-street/

Yeah, I could go on and on with this one. How many incidences of violence "in retribution" for the trumped-up Trayvon case have there been so far?

There are definitely some detractors, and they don't look like moles:

Star Member Syrinx (14,784 posts)
    1. I think Zimmerman should be locked up

But this writer lost me at "Dear White folks."

"White America can walk to the store without fear of being hunted down"

Depends on the neighborhood. I made the mistake of walking in a majority black neighborhood, and I considered myself lucky to escape. I was assaulted because I was white. I wasn't shot and killed, but I was pistol-whipped and threatened with being shot. And I was robbed.

Stereotypes. Are "Sydney" and "Bobby" any less offensive than Ashante or Kareem?

Aren't there a whole lot more black people killed by other black people, than by white people in the US?

Race isn't the main, underlying issue. The pervasiveness of guns, and our exceedingly violent popular culture is much more to blame.

I'm on Trayvon Martin's side. I think George Zimmerman should pay the price for his actions. But the author surrendered his credibility when he began with "Dear white folks."

and

fasttense (13,205 posts)
    6. The white privileged class is NOT necessarily ALL white people.

It is just the rich white people that are given many of these privileges. Look how the Occupiers are treated. All occupiers are labeled as poor hippies by the media and can be safely attacked. Most of the Teabaggers are labeled as middle class by the media and they are never abused by the police, even when carrying weapons. True sometimes, poor white people are mistaken for rich white people and are inadvertently given some of these privileges, which rarely happens to people of color. But once their economic status is determined, the poor white person is treated very badly.

If you are a poor white person you can NOT count on justice, safety or liberty.

It is a very small minority of people who are given these privileges and they don't include people of color, poor people or non-christians.

And of course, those sympathizing with Trayvon are getting miffed:

On the Road (19,746 posts)
    7. The Expression "We are All Trayvon Martin"
    is an expression of solidarity. It is meant to show support.

Of course it's not likely that a white middle-class teenager would meet the same fate in the same way as Martin. That's kind of the point.

But if support from a good portion of the white community is not wanted -- well, OK. Good luck then.

obxhead (5,909 posts)
    30. That's how I take this article too.

In their broad brush attack on white people they alienate people standing with them demanding justice. They are creating a divide where people are actually trying to bridge a gap and help.

I consider articles like these part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
    Great piece of s***.

How racist can you get?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...beating-879234

Yeah, "white folks" never get robbed or beaten while walking around. Shall I post more?

http://upressonline.com/2012/03/fau-...nd-classmates/

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-0...thets#comments

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-olney-street/

Yeah, I could go on and on with this one. How many incidences of violence "in retribution" for the trumped-up Trayvon case have there been so far?
    How many assaults on whites by blacks are there without Trayvon? A friend of mine was mugged in broad daylight in a Los Angeles business district. Had a gun pointed to his head by a black male at an ATM.

Even Chris Rock gets it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Can you imagine the outcry if seven White youths had been gunned down by police and security guards in a matter of months? ...
    This is irresponsible "journalism" and this piece of crap is a college professor? Oh, and lets all get a good laugh in that we are being lectured on race relations by a guy who "just happens" to live in a town that is all of 3.2% black, who went to the notoriously nonblack schools of UC Santa Barbara and Berkeley. Yeah, he has cred.

But back on point, do we know that 7 white "youths" (he didn't bother to define this word) haven't been "gunned down by police and security guards" in a matter of months (how many months, Leonard?)

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    How many assaults on whites by blacks are there without Trayvon? A friend of mine was mugged in broad daylight in a Los Angeles business district. Had a gun pointed to his head by a black male at an ATM.

Even Chris Rock gets it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4
    BET should put that bit on 24 hour loop for about a week. What's fascinating is Bill Cosby said much of the same stuff in his infamous poundcake speech, and got lambasted by much of the loudmouthed racebaiting black community. I guess if it's a joke coming from a black man, it's all just fine, right?
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    There's a whole Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race Studies at WSU? One professor in a tin foil hat wasn't enough?
    Critical Culture, Gender, & Race Studies at WSU
    The department offers B.A.'s in comparative ethnic studies and women's studies and an M.A. and Ph.D. in American studies. Minors are offered in comparative ethnic studies, women's studies, and queer studies.
    Can you imagine getting a BA in Comparative Ethnic Studies? Why bother.

You can minor in Queer Studies (not that there's anything wrong with that):

Queer Studies

A minor in queer studies requires a minimum of 16 credit hours, of which 9 must be upper-division.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    BET should put that bit on 24 hour loop for about a week. What's fascinating is Bill Cosby said much of the same stuff in his infamous poundcake speech, and got lambasted by much of the loudmouthed racebaiting black community. I guess if it's a joke coming from a black man, it's all just fine, right?
    No, Chris Rock got some backlash when he did this.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.