Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 CDC: Nearly 1 in 4 babies born to unwed cohabitors 
    Health officials say nearly 1 in 4 babies are born to unmarried couples who are living together, a significant jump from a decade ago.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1rqusE7cu
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

About 23 percent of the reported births were to unmarried heterosexual couples who were living together when the child was born. That was up from 14 percent when a similar study was done in 2002.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1rrmIWIOn
    There will come a day when marriage itself will become merely an old tradition practiced by some families. That is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    There will come a day when marriage itself will become merely an old tradition practiced by some families. That is not a good thing.
    Someday? One out of every two marriages ends in divorce. What's the difference?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Nowadays it's traditional to have a practice marriage.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I see a difference. There will come a day when people will no longer even try to form a nuclear family. That is a bad thing because living with someone long term teaches you to allow for others' mistakes.

'1 Of 2 Couples Will Divorce' Is Wrong

August 12, 1993

I HEARD it a few days ago on a talk show: ''One out of every two marriages is ending in divorce.'' I read the same statement in an article by a family therapist. You can hear it used over and over, as I have for too many years to remember.

Early on, I learned that it simply was not true. In fact, it is a lie on unsuspecting people. These critics are taking a statistical tool and turning the results into a factual situation. The tool is to compare each year the number of marriages to the number of divorces, thus arriving at a method to determine if the marriage/divorce situation is improving or worsening.
    I have no idea whether it's true or not. But for almost 20 years (maybe longer) we're still stuck on the 1 in 2 thing.

Empirically speaking...I put it about 1 in 10.
    Be Not Afraid.

That statistic really puts a bad light on society and doesn't bode well for the traditional family unit. I firmly believe that with the demise of the family will come the demise of civil society.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

You do know that the coming thing is that only the "gay" folks will be married? All of the non-mutants will just be shacking up.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Where I live, it's a much larger number than one in four.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Where I live, it's a much larger number than one in four.
    Any areas where the child poverty stats are higher than the national average will have a higher percentage of out of wedlock births. It's not simply a corelation. Single or unmarried cohabitating parents (who tend to become single parents pretty quickly) have to perform the functions of a family with only one adult in the household. That invariably has a negative impact on income, as well as the absence of all of the other things that two-parent families take for granted (imagine trying to deal with medical appointments, school requirements and a host of other issues while also holding down a full time job).

And, the rest of the article gives the correct stats on divorce:

Recent polls have indicated that in any given year, only about 2 percent of existing marriages will end in divorce, and that only about one in eight of all marriages will end in divorce. This is a far different picture than ''one in every two marriages will end in divorce.''
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!