Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Did I read that correctly, that you read the books ON a BlackBerry? That must take some time. "Call" (new screen) "me" (new screen) "Ishmael" (new screen).....

My BlackBerry has a touch screen. It gives me the same amount of real estate as an I-Phone or Droid. I can usually get past "...it was the worst of times," before the new screen.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I'm reading a biography of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of of the Girl Scouts of America. She lived in interesting times-she was born the year the Civil War broke out, in Savannah. Her mother was from Chicago, so she had family serving in both armies.

I can relate to a woman who gave so much to kids, but never had any kids of her own. The book was released this year to coincide with the 100th anniversay of GSA.

I'm a proud former Girl Scout. My mom was one, and my 12 year old niece is a scout.

I was a Blue Bird, first, though, not a Brownie. I switched to GS because there wasn't a CFG troop in my neighborhood.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I second the Song of Ice and Fire series, been a fan for a while, can't wait for the next book (though may have to with the way Martin writes)

I just read Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, good quick read, a lot shorter than I thought it was.

Started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

had it for a while, just now getting around to reading it. Basically the story is that Lincoln had a secret journal and Seth Grahame-Smith is approached to write a manuscript based on those journals. Ensuing story his how Lincoln's life was directed, as was the countries, due to the existence of Vampires
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

If anyone brings up 50 Shades of Gray I will seek them out and beat them with a ball bearing filled lead pipe.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I'm reading Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage - by Nicholas Wapshott

It starts with each of their childhoods, what kind of parents they had, what made them who they were. A lot of things we didn't know (unless you read about them quite a bit) There's correspondence between them in it and it's a very easy read.

I recommend it as it's one of those books that you can read in a day or 2, depending on how busy a person you are. They are two of my favorite political figures and I was thrilled to find this book.

NJ: ouch! I didn't hear of that book til last night and have no intention of reading it!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Read the early reviews on "inheritance" and questioned whether I wanted to pay out the money to complete the 4 book set on my shelf. So... Got it from the library on my kindle and finished it this morning. Then I bought it this afternoon - on sale.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I'm reading Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage - by Nicholas Wapshott

It starts with each of their childhoods, what kind of parents they had, what made them who they were. A lot of things we didn't know (unless you read about them quite a bit) There's correspondence between them in it and it's a very easy read.

I recommend it as it's one of those books that you can read in a day or 2, depending on how busy a person you are. They are two of my favorite political figures and I was thrilled to find this book.

NJ: ouch! I didn't hear of that book til last night and have no intention of reading it!
    A Political Marriage sounds like a very intresting book to read.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    If anyone brings up 50 Shades of Gray I will seek them out and beat them with a ball bearing filled lead pipe.
    I casually mentioned the book to my coworker who is serious bookworm. She hadn't hear about it. She picked it up, along with the other two in the series and loves them. I haven't read it yet. BDSM can be exciting to women who never knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
    Ya guys got any suggestion on good books on Early American History.

Iv just been listening to alot of Ron Paul supporters and all they do is bash America from its founding till now. So i wanted to read some good books on early American history to counter that.
    Ron Paul supporters do not bash America, they bash what America has become; and the story of that transition is a long and complicated one, and probably not one you learned in school. Try reading The Real Lincoln. It winnows the myth from the truth about this American icon. It's a real eye-opener unless you choose cognitive dissonance over historical fact.

It surprised the shit out of me. It and is incredibly relevant and poignant given the current state of our federal government and our nation. I highly recommend it.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Lincoln Uber Alles; Dictatorship Comes to America by John Avery Emison
    Emison exposes Lincoln for the tyrant that he actually was and suggests that its high time that Americans grow up and confront the reality of our history instead of the childish fairy tales concocted by the court historians of the Church of Lincoln.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ