Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm still dazed over the assertion that I'm a Republican because I was raised that way.
    1. I never knew my parent's political ideology.
    2. I didn't camp out on the right side until a few years after college. I simply voted for what made sense. Liberal ideas were emotion based, feel good programs with no chance of success. Conservatives had pragmatic approaches that were based upon personal reponsibility.
    3. I was raised in a home with 3 brothers, all of us within 4 years of each other, and I am the only conservative. Another Liberal thought-bubble just popped.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I'm still dazed over the assertion that I'm a Republican because I was raised that way.
    1. I never knew my parent's political ideology.
    2. I didn't camp out on the right side until a few years after college. I simply voted for what made sense. Liberal ideas were emotion based, feel good programs with no chance of success. Conservatives had pragmatic approaches that were based upon personal reponsibility.
    3. I was raised in a home with 3 brothers, all of us within 4 years of each other, and I am the only conservative. Another Liberal thought-bubble just popped.
    I started out as a liberal democrat but became a conservative and switched parties in 1990. It was a conscience decision. I took a good long look at the values and beliefs of both groups and came to the conclusion that somewhere along the way my values became more conservative so I switch to a political party the more closely reflected my point of vie, which all goes to proved that the OP doesn't really have a clue as to what he is talking about.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

3. What is it called when the President returns a bill to Congress unsigned?
    (a) Veto
    (b) Verdict
    (c) Bitchslap
    I'm pretty sure that both (a) and (c) are correct here. :D

I've always thought a test would be a good idea. It should be something along the lines of which politcal party commonly supports yada yada yada. Let the voter answer the questions R or D, then give them the correect answers. After that they get to vote. At least they've been informed of what they're voting for either way.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Good point. Maybe I'll have time to create and submit a proposed test.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

"If people have to take tests for driver's permits then why not issue a quiz before someone can vote"

None of the DUmpers would pass.

Sonnabend
    That would be where in the Constitution, exactly?
    The Twenty-sixth Amendment (Amendment XXVI) of the United States Constitution, ratified on July 1, 1971, standardized the voting age to 18. It was adopted in response to student activism against the Vietnam War and to partially overrule the Supreme Court's decision in Oregon v. Mitchell.

The Right To Vote
    The Constitution contains many phrases, clauses, and amendments detailing ways people cannot be denied the right to vote. You cannot deny the right to vote because of race or gender. Citizens of Washington DC can vote for President; 18-year-olds can vote; you can vote even if you fail to pay a poll tax. The Constitution also requires that anyone who can vote for the "most numerous branch" of their state legislature can vote for House members and Senate members.

Note that in all of this, though, the Constitution never explicitly ensures the right to vote, as it does the right to speech, for example. It does require that Representatives be chosen and Senators be elected by "the People," and who comprises "the People" has been expanded by the aforementioned amendments several times. Aside from these requirements, though, the qualifications for voters are left to the states. And as long as the qualifications do not conflict with anything in the Constitution, that right can be withheld. For example, in Texas, persons declared mentally incompetent and felons currently in prison or on probation are denied the right to vote. It is interesting to note that though the 26th Amendment requires that 18-year-olds must be able to vote, states can allow persons younger than 18 to vote, if they chose to.
    Re right to vote: I submit the following

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut....html#section1

Section 1. The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his office during the term of four years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same term, be elected, as follows:
    Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.
    If they have no right to vote, they have no franchise, hence they cannot, as this section states, "appoint" anyone. The right to vote is implied in this sentence. In much the same manner, if none have a right to vote, a President cannot be elected.

I submit that the right to vote remains an integral part of the Constitution, being as it does a critical part of the process. In much the same manner as freedom of speech and assembly are rights, the intent of the Founders was clear in this regard.

MiniMe (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:27 PM
    Response to Original message
    3. Voting is a right, driving is considered a priviledge
    Well, the spelling is classic DU, but the message is far, far too conservative in nature. MiniMe obviously hasn't gotten the memo that liberals consider driving to be a basic human right.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I'd come up with the test questions for free. :D

1. Which of the following is not a branch of government?
    (a) Judicial
    (b) Lobbyists
    (c) Legislative

2. Which of the following is not a house of Congress?
    (a) House of Representatives
    (b) Senate
    (c) White House

3. What is it called when the President returns a bill to Congress unsigned?
    (a) Veto
    (b) Verdict
    (c) Bitchslap

4. How many senators does each state have?
    (a) Two
    (b) Three
    (c) Four

5. What is the highest judicial body in the United States?
    (a) The American Idol jury
    (b) The Supreme Court
    (c) The People's Court

Now, you'd have to bring your own pencil, but we still have to print the tests. I recommend we stop welfare every election cycle for four months to cover the cost of printing and grading the tests. And you can bet that if you miss three of these questions, you won't be voting this time around.
    Here's one to ensure no DUmp monkey is allowed to vote ever again:

If a Republican president and vice president are impeached and removed from office, who takes the president's place?
    (a) the Secretary of State
    (b) the Speaker of the House
    (c) the Democrat candidate who lost the election because it was stolen by the Republicans
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

A better one would be, make people show a valid ID.